The Disney Store (please Read!)

trekkie

Original Poster
When the Disney Store first opened, CEO Michael Eisner billed them as an outlet to promote the movies and theme parks.

The current plan (According to an article in the March 2000 edition of the Wall Street Journal): Transform some locations into a Disney home store for little kids (Selling beds, quilts, lamps, light switches, etc). And What about the others? Aimed solely towards pre-schoolers!

If Disney Store merchandise was selling so poorly (Which is why the original makeovers were ordered in the first place ... Which all failed miserably, by the way), Why not come up with better products instead of figuring out ways to diminish the stores reputation and, as a result, destroy everything that made the place so "uniquely Disney"? "Where" are the store collectibles (Animation cells, framed pins, sculptures, watches, lithographs, signed Disneyana, etc)? Where are the "Art of... " books and broader selections of CD's, DVD's and videos?

Current Disney should stop churning out sequels to practically every one of their timeless animated classics and instead focus on producing more original fare. This makes way for great merchandising opportunities and as a result would give the Disney Store greater business.

I am "sure" all those highly educated Disney business men thought of this, though.

Hey ... Why not just turn Disneyland into a giant playground with shops? There's an idea. After all, it would be cheaper to operate and future generations will only it as a giant kiddie area. Not the family entertainment giant it once was.

Just like some of the Disney Stores are now. And If Eisner gets his way, just like every Disney Store in the "near" future will be.

The company today preaches about family, yet at the same time ignores the very aspects and principles of family entertainment upon which they were built.

When The Disney Store debuted, CM's would always go beyond the "basic" customer service. They would greet you at the door & ask you what your interests were and automatically reserve future items based on those interests.

And Now, not only is this not practiced anymore at most locations, but the entire store has suffered because they're "not" practiced anymore. How? By destroying a "huge" part of what made The Disney Store so unique in the first place, people would rather go to a "regular" outlet such as Wal Mart or Costco for their Disney CD's, DVD's, etc.

The unique customer service offered by Disney Store Cast Members always left a sense of true commrodery and relationship with the guest. The friendly greeting at the door, the automatic reservation of Disney merchandise; This is what made many guests come back time and time again. Sure, they could have bought those soundtrack albums at Wal Mart. But It was at The Disney Store where they truly felt special. Where their newfound friends act as Cast Members. And Where that seemingly magical commrodery between guest and cast truly meant they were -- and Had to be -- no place else but Disney.

Taking this all away not only destroyed customer loyalty (The store literally lost hundreds of customers who would visit frequently to buy framed art or other high end collectibles), but it threw away the ideals and principles that Disney was founded on.

The company is celebrating Walt Disney’s 100th birthday this year.

Happy birthday, Walt.

"It is not myself I am thinking about, but it is the effect of what might happen to whatever is left that bothers me" --Company founder Walt Disney

I went to my local Disney Store on the Sunday before Christmas, and it was practically empty! Save for a few people who were browsing the store (Half of which ended up not buying anything) ... it is now like a cramped, practically lifeless thing.

Makes me sad & mad at the same time...

Please join the official Disney Store campaign and sign the petition at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bringback_tds

Even the tiniest improvement to these stores would be welcome; or at least I think so.

If I had just one wish, it would be that the execs at Disney realize their boneheaded decisions and, at the very least, return high end Disney merchandise to all Disney Stores.

We cannot guarantee a change. But, if nothing is done, "nothing" will ever have a chance of changing.

Daniel
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bringback_tds
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/disneylands_50th
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/preservethemagic

epcot71

i do have to agree with u.im not to pleased with the direction of disney store.i liked the origional format with a wider mix of products and.i just to love to stop by get a disney table book, a mickey polo, and a tie or watch.(not anymore)-just keep one thing in mind-disney hates to fail at anything.this is a good thing because if this new disney kids at home and disney play does not produce the results they want they will most doubtably go back to their roots of a wider mix of products.remember when they changed the format the first time and lots of people were bumbed out with the prototype at cherry hill and costa mesa?that deal lasted about a year and didnt reap the benefits they expected.i think this will last maybe a year or less and they will have to go back to plan a.i hope andy mooney really makes this happen since he did lots of great things for nike before coming to disney.

epcot71

also a quick note;the 189 intl disney stores outside the us will in fact keep the disney store name and remain with its current product mix.the stores outside the us are actually still the same as the origional format.there was more than 189 locations but disney store sold their japaneese stores to oriental land company.again i think this is just a wrinkle in the overall plan to once again be the greatest retail chain in the world:) :) :)

trekkie

Original Poster
I hope so, too. Remember when the Gap lady became head of merchandise at Disneyland? Clothes overtook the entire park, customers complained & she was fired. I hope to God the same thing happens with this Nike person (If our campaign fails) ... The home furniture test at the World of Disney store in DD next to Disneyland hasn't worked very well, I don't think.
"Buy a bed for $1500! Don't like it? We don't care; we are the all-powerful DISNEY, and most of the gullible public will gobble up whatever the Hell we throw at 'em!"
"F*** Walt Disney!"

:lol:

BRER STITCH

WOW!

I feel bad for you !

The Disney Stores in all the Malls here (Buffalo, NY area) are still all great places to shop with AWESOME cast members. (NO - I AM NOT ONE! HAHA!) In fact, many of the gifts I gave and recieved were from there this year!

I go in there at least once a week to see whats new and to talk to the friendly CMS who are always willing to help or show me the new items or tell me what's coming out next. What I really love is being able to "pre-purchase" items that will be coming out soon as part of a special deal, usually incuding a free special item related to the purchase.

Maybe its just the managers in your stores, but here they are great places to shop and a good place to remind myself of my past and future Disney trips!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK NEW YORK DISNEY STORES!!!

:sohappy:

trekkie

Original Poster
Fortunately, not all Disney Stores have been ruined (I already said this in the essay). But, I know for a fact that "many" have. Just wait until Disney either closes or re-models your local store(s). That is, unless the execs pull their heads out of their you-know-whats.
The managers are "not," I repeat "not" responsible for these horrible makeovers.
Blame greedy Disney executives for this one.
As much as you hate to believe -- and probably admit -- it, current Dsney is not all sunflowers & roses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom