The Disney Decade Ruined Me

bhg469

That's what I understand. I've always wanted to go. I think a big part of the reason why lots of people like it better is that, because it's the original, Walt-created park, the company has been careful, in many ways, to protect many of the attractions. They've had CA to constantly tinker with. Now that Star Wars is coming to Disneyland, though, I just don't know what will happen. I really want to go out there, but a trip to California is just waaaaay out of my price range.
I am 38 and I just went for the first time. I loved it so much that I will probably cross pirates off of my WDW must do list. That is how much better it is. I was fortunate enough to ride hyper space mountain as well before it reverted back and it was incredible. Definitely make it a plan to go there at some point.

DisneyDoctor

I've taken several vacations to other spots around the US and North America and, IMO, WDW is still a better value. The money spent to stay on property and enter the parks goes much farther than paying to stay in hotels elsewhere and having to create things to do. Only at WDW can you spend 7 days and still not have done or seen everything.

Also, I'm fairly certain nostalgia has a HUGE impact on peoples' current perceptions of the parks etc. There is something to be said about the psychologic aspect of traveling to WDW as a child with our families. For instance, the last ride I rode with my late grandma was Splash Mountain. Now, I absolutely adore Splash Mountain and the biggest aspect of that is due to my grandma and the nostalgia I hold so dear to my heart.

As we age life gets more stressful and, quite honestly, less fun. No longer can our parents plan everything and shoulder all of our burdens. We can't wake up and feel absolutely no burdens or stress. Our children will remember this era as the "golden age of Disney," and when they grow up and have to pay, plan, and execute their own trips they too will become nostalgic and think back to simpler times.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is literally everything that we've experienced as children has and will continue to change as we age along with our sentiments towards those experiences.

geekza

I suppose what I'm trying to say is literally everything that we've experienced as children has and will continue to change as we age along with our sentiments towards those experiences.
While you're not wrong, if an attraction is well-designed from the beginning, the ability to truly enjoy it crosses generational boundaries. The classic attractions are still entertaining to first-time riders, regardless of their age.

Only at WDW can you spend 7 days and still not have done or seen everything.
The again, part of that is because the parks are so crowded now that you spend more time waiting in line and aren't able to see as much as you could 20 years ago. Maybe if you luck out and go during the absolute slowest times of the year. When I went back in January of 1997, we were able to experience any attraction we wanted, as many times as we wanted. I can't tell you how many times I rode Haunted Mansion or Pirates that year. For a Disney Theme Park Nerd, it was glorious.

I'm realistic in that it's just a fact that more people are going to WDW these days and FastPass isn't going anywhere. I still sure do miss knowing that my Disney vacation could involve almost total spontaneity.

DisneyDoctor

While you're not wrong, if an attraction is well-designed from the beginning, the ability to truly enjoy it crosses generational boundaries. The classic attractions are still entertaining to first-time riders, regardless of their age.

The again, part of that is because the parks are so crowded now that you spend more time waiting in line and aren't able to see as much as you could 20 years ago. Maybe if you luck out and go during the absolute slowest times of the year. When I went back in January of 1997, we were able to experience any attraction we wanted, as many times as we wanted. I can't tell you how many times I rode Haunted Mansion or Pirates that year. For a Disney Theme Park Nerd, it was glorious.

I'm realistic in that it's just a fact that more people are going to WDW these days and FastPass isn't going anywhere. I still sure do miss knowing that my Disney vacation could involve almost total spontaneity.
I definitely agree with you about the generation-spanning rides. Disney has done an amazing job designing so many.

I, too, went during slow times as a child. It was glorious, we could literally walk on any ride we wanted. But, even then, after a week there we still felt we hadn't seen every nook and cranny the World had to offer. We kept finding restaurants and experiences that we would have to table until next trip because we didn't have the time.

KBLovedDisney

The 80's ruined me, I try not to remember them or my red parachute pants.
I don't know why I had a fascination with matching windbreaker suits (guess this was more so earlier 90s for me, and I blame my mother), but I had a few. Those ruined me and there are a couple of old Disney pics with me as a kid strutting around in those things.

geekza

I don't know why I had a fascination with matching windbreaker suits (guess this was more so earlier 90s for me, and I blame my mother), but I had a few. Those ruined me and there are a couple of old Disney pics with me as a kid strutting around in those things.
Let me tell you about being a child during the Bicentennial... So many red, white, and blue polyester clothes...

KBLovedDisney

Let me tell you about being a child during the Bicentennial... So many red, white, and blue polyester clothes...
tenor.gif

GeoffR

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replys!! I think the comment about using credit/loans is an interesting point. Certainly makes me wonder how many park goers are charging their trips.

s8film40

The Disney decade really was the peak of WDW. The energy, excitement and quality of additions will probably never be matched again. It's probably a big part of how I ended up living in the area. It took me a while to really accept that that's in the past and we'll probably never see a WDW like that again. Each new addition since while they may be more relevant are mostly downgrades to the level of experiences we used to have. I've gotten to the point where I just try to appreciate what's left and enjoy the memories. At the same time I've come to recognize that same level of energy, excitement and quality additions at Universal. They seem to be having a Universal decade of their own and of course are in the middle of a nearly identical expansion pattern that WDW saw during that decade. I'm just happy I get to see that one first hand as a local.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Thanks for all the replys!! I think the comment about using credit/loans is an interesting point. Certainly makes me wonder how many park goers are charging their trips.

Far too many, unfortunately. Purchasing lifestyle on credit (or terms) leads only to trouble.

geekza

I think, as the world has become more and more hectic and bad news is delivered instantaneously and 24 hours-a-day, more people are looking for an escape. The Disney parks have always represented a break from reality.

"To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world."

To those of us who obsess over the Disney parks (and make no mistake, we spend lots of time discussing minutiae of theme parks here), going on a Disney vacation is almost a drug. It gives us an escape from our everyday lives where (most) of the people who are working there are friendly and treat us well, we can pretend to be pirates or pretend to fly on the back of a dragon, and we are surrounded by beautiful landscaping and architecture.

Sadly, the reality of the situation is that all of the above comes at a substantial cost. Most of us are logical and know the pitfalls of going into debt over a brief vacation. If we can't immediately afford a Disney vacation, we save up over a period of time and go when we can afford it. There are a great many people, however, who want the same escape that we crave, but who don't have the patience to wait and are willing to pay for their vacations on credit. Credit isn't necessarily a bad thing if it is used wisely and you are truly able to pay it off in a reasonable amount of time without racking up too much interest, but there are a lot of folks who only see the here and now and don't worry about the future until it's too late. I've known people who go to WDW multiple times a year, are DVC members, and who I know aren't able to afford this lifestyle on what they're making. After a while, there won't be any more credit to dip into and then it will become time to pay the piper.

Instant gratification isn't worth years of stress and grief in the future.

DisneyDoctor

I think, as the world has become more and more hectic and bad news is delivered instantaneously and 24 hours-a-day, more people are looking for an escape. The Disney parks have always represented a break from reality.

"To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world."

To those of us who obsess over the Disney parks (and make no mistake, we spend lots of time discussing minutiae of theme parks here), going on a Disney vacation is almost a drug. It gives us an escape from our everyday lives where (most) of the people who are working there are friendly and treat us well, we can pretend to be pirates or pretend to fly on the back of a dragon, and we are surrounded by beautiful landscaping and architecture.

Sadly, the reality of the situation is that all of the above comes at a substantial cost. Most of us are logical and know the pitfalls of going into debt over a brief vacation. If we can't immediately afford a Disney vacation, we save up over a period of time and go when we can afford it. There are a great many people, however, who want the same escape that we crave, but who don't have the patience to wait and are willing to pay for their vacations on credit. Credit isn't necessarily a bad thing if it is used wisely and you are truly able to pay it off in a reasonable amount of time without racking up too much interest, but there are a lot of folks who only see the here and now and don't worry about the future until it's too late. I've known people who go to WDW multiple times a year, are DVC members, and who I know aren't able to afford this lifestyle on what they're making. After a while, there won't be any more credit to dip into and then it will become time to pay the piper.

Instant gratification isn't worth years of stress and grief in the future.
Very well put. I suppose there isn't a great big beautiful tomorrow shinning at the end of a unconscientious person's day? :cyclops: pardon my horrible attempt at humor.

wendysue

I will say the Disney Decade ruined me...at first.

At first, I hated Disney making all of the changes it was making to the theme parks and resorts, until I realized how rather outdated the stuff I liked was. Kind of my love for the old technology that were flip phones, but were only good in their time. If I went back to using my flip phone today, I would be totally missing out on the better technology and expierence.

Change isn't easy, but there is no sense in fighting the inevitable future.

I LOVE MY FLIP PHONE!! :eek::D:happy: Honestly, it's nice having a phone that you don't have to look at every 5 seconds.

eliza61nyc

So just my ramblings.

First I did not go to the world in the 80's. My family went when disney first opened, we thought it sucked and never went back so I cannot relate to all the "glory day stories". Next, for the most part I don't live my life longing for some "bygone era". I spend my dollars where I have enjoyable vacations. If you go to disney and spend all your time comparing it to 198_ whatever, then you need to reevaluate the trips.

1) As the old saying goes, one mans trash is another mans treasure. Why can't you imagine people paying 500.00 a night for a room? Four seasons, Mandarian Oriental, the ritz are all hotel lines that cater to luxury travel. Yes Virginia there are people who can afford to stay in deluxe.

2) now you're argument really isn't specific to wdw at all. It's very basic to any discretionary spending. Can you afford what is being offered and is the asking price worth what it takes to pay it? I would love the new apple Iphone. for me it's not worth the asking price.

Disney is not the answer to the "meaning" of life, it's a vacation destination, a product. period.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom