The Disney Channel

trekkie

Original Poster
"But we won't throw any piece of junk at the public and try to sell 'em. We fight for quality" -- WALT DISNEY

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever does" -- MARGARET MEAD

"I am not influenced by the techniques or fashions of any other motion picture company" -- WALT DISNEY

The original Disney Channel is ignoring the very principles Disney was founded under and is spitting on the Disney
name as a whole. If certain areas in this company ignore their principles, they stop the Disney name from flourishing.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/preservethemagic

Disney is not just a company, but also a man. Walt Disney was a pioneer whose philosophy for the Disney Company was always to entice people to enjoy all of his masterpieces by providing nothing but "high quality family entertainment." The company he built currently preaches about family, yet at the same time ignores the very aspects and principles of family entertainment upon which they were built. After all, "this" is where Disney came from; "this" is where Disney was more of a magical legacy than a generic brand name, such as Nickelodeon or MTV. When The Disney Channel began to ignore these ideals, they helped to stop the Disney name from flourishing into what it was destined to be and what Walt always meant it to be.

"That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up. They forget. They don't remember what it's like to be twelve years old. They patronize; they treat children as inferiors. I won't do that. I'll temper a story, yes. But I won't play down, and I won't patronize" -- WALT DISNEY

Through the "old" Disney Channel, people of all ages were introduced to wonderful old movies. It was on Disney that many first saw a lot of the Disney classics as well as Hollywood classics like the musicals of Rogers and Hammerstein. It used to be programming that parents and
children could watch together. At least The Disney Channel had Vault Disney; that us until 2002, when all "classic" Disney and great family programming was phased
off the air. Why wouldn't today's generation like Old Yeller, Davy Crockett, Five Mile Creek, Mickey Mouse Club, Zorro,
Spin & Marty, Walt Disney World Inside Out, Dumbo's Circus, Pooh Corner, White Fang, Iron Will, Flight of the Navigator, The Canterville Ghost, Disney's Halloween Treat, A Disney Channel Valentine, Tron, Disney's nature specials, etc? This is where Disney came from; films and programs like these are true family classics; and they deserve to be showcased on a Disney television station!

"You’re dead if you aim only for kids" -- WALT DISNEY

Now the only group the channel plays to is the 12 and under crowd. Disney is about family, and once this channel was for family. Now it's a commercial filled, mostly un-watchable channel. One might as well watch Nickelodeon or MTV.

There could have been installed just a few shows that would be popular with the young crowd, but instead the entire channel has been converted in to a preteen/preschool dreamland.

"I do not make films primarily for children" -- WALT DISNEY

Many children today who end up watching the older classics on DVD actually do like them. They like them very much, in fact. The problem, though, is that their parents are the ones who actually want the discs, and as a result these kids wouldn't even see these movies if it weren't for them (The parents). By deciding not to air the old films and television specials, the current company is not giving them more of a chance with a younger generation; a generation that deserves to know the history, the legacy, and the beauty of Walt Disney and his vision.

"The important thing is the family. If you can keep the family together -- and that's the backbone of our whole business, catering to families -- that's what we hope to do" -- WALT DISNEY

I, like most everybody, grew up on Disney, and it pains me to no end at how the company has fallen. savemichaeleisner.com says that we should put common sense over personal feelings and emotion, but there is a reason why a lot of fans went against much of the company after Frank Wells passed away and Eisner took "complete" control in the mid/late '90s: the magic was dying. And the magic continues to die at a much faster rate.

And one could use all the logic and pure-common-sense-and-nothing-else and what-if's in this world, but there is simply no excuse for abandoning the principles and ideals of family entertainment upon which this company was built.

Whether or not one wants to admit it, something is definitely wrong. There is a reason why the majority of people who supported Eisner prior to Frank Wells tragic and untimely death now despise him as a businessman.

It is because most of the pixie dust has left Disney; plain and simple.

Help start up a Vault Disney or Disney Family Channel and put family programming there. What is the harm of mixing in classic Disney films and TV shows, for current and future generations to enjoy, with great non-Disney family fare? The very building blocks of this great company: its morals, its principals, its values are shown in these timeless treasures. The next generation deserves to know who Walt Disney was. He is certainly one of the most beloved men of all time. Everyone deserves to know what he stood for. And we deserve to tell them.

In July of 2004, my family and I went on vacation to Reno. And while going up to Nevada and then traveling back home the follwing week, and passing by all of the breattakingly beautiful scenery, through Donners Pass and everything, I am reminded of how Walt fought so adamently to bring all of this naturalistic beauty to the public. These are the very morals and ideals and "principles" Disney was founded under: entertainment that not only could be enjoyed by the entire family, but entertainment at a consistently high level. Entertainment which reflected -- so beautifully -- a 'deep and passionate love -- and yearning -- for America; not a cheap and disillusioned America, but a true, naturalistic, "realistic," and country-roads-take-me-home type of America. And most of all, a real sense of the awesome beauty all around us.

Please, I beg of you. Lillian begs you. Marc Davis begs you. Frank Wells begs you. Roy begs you.

TV Land is doing wonderfully. So is The Hallmark Channel (Ialways thought that it would be perfect if Disney bought out the station and re-named it, as The Hallmark Channel is practically everything The Disney Channel used to be, and, as a result, everything which made it great) and Nick-at-Nite. I truly do believe that we can succeed.

I am completely serious here, and am honestly getting more fed up with Disney every day. If nothing is done quickly, future generations will be completely unaware of what the name "Disney" truly means. We already have people ten and under who have absolutely no idea.

And that, my friend, is the most frightening thing of all.

Please join "Preserve the Magic" at:

Once again, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom