The dining plan and my 13 year old brother.

slacker

Original Poster
Alright guys, I have never started my own thread! I hope this question hasn't been asked before, if so, i appologize in advance.

SO here it goes, My family and i have our vacation booked for August 2007 and, being the disney fanatics we are, we've already been planning the restaurants we'll be eating at. We've booked the dining plan already and have been looking at menues at allearsnet. Now, we'll be trying a lot of different places and everytime we come to a restaurant we like there's NOTHING on the menu my brother would want. It's always too fancy and stuff for him. We've also been reading the kids menues at places because of my 8 year old sister. When we look at these menues we find endless things he'd eat (macaroni, chicken fingers, gold fish crackers shaped like mickey heads. You know.)

So here lies my question.. would they let him order off the kids meal at places? He's paid for as an adult on the meal plan, so there wouldn't really be a money issue. What do you think?
Thank you!

TwoTigersMom

I'm not sure if they would let him order from the kids menu or not, but is your sister as picky of an eater? If not then order what he likes from the kid menue and what she likes from the regular menu.

wdwishes2005

13? Isn't he a tad bit old to be that picky anyway? well, thats beside the point, but I bet Disney would be prepared for such an event.

AliciaLuvzDizne

13? Isn't he a tad bit old to be that picky anyway? well, thats beside the point, but I bet Disney would be prepared for such an event.
you're never too old to be a picky eater

yes anyone can order off the kids menu

and if the situation was reversed and a kid wanted something on the adult menu, you would just have to pay the difference

Sledge

Account Suspended
There are times I go out to restaurants and don't find anything I like (mainly sea food restaurants) so I just ask to get an adults proportion of something off of the kids menu. It usually ends up being chicken fingers since I don't exactly want a adult sized portion of peanut butter and jelly. :lol: I've never had a restaurant tell me I couldn't do that. Sometimes I'll ask if I can combine appetizers to make a meal and I've never had a problem with that either. I'm a very picky eater and I've never had a problem at Disney or anywhere else (I love everything at Boma though). They'll definitely work with y'all and make sure he gets something he'll like.

maelstrom

Pickyness knows no age limits. We all like what we like.

I'm 20 and an extremely picky eater and I'm sure I'll be that way when I'm 60 too.

tampabrad

What is he picky about?

I am sure every restaurant in WDW has some kind of fish, chicken, beef on the menu. If he is picky about sauces, spices, or any of the sides, I am sure the server or chef will be able to accomidate. Anything can be made plain, or with the sauces on the side. The Disney Chefs are amazing at accomidating their guests and their sometimes different tastes or diets.

Yellow Shoes

I realize this is your sibling and not your child, but here's some advice.

Don't give in too much to his pickiness.

Let him stretch himself.

There's something about being away from home....On every vacation we've taken, my younger child has tried (and loved!) a new food. One year it was the onion rings at 50's Prime Time, and another time was biscuits and gravy (not at WDW, however).

In other words, don't blindly assume that he won't like ____. Give him the opportunity to try it.

The less picky he becomes, the better your lives will be.

slacker

Original Poster
no no no

No no no, don't get me wrong. He can choose something off of the menues, we're not the ones preventing him to try new things. He's the one who complains about it, so i was just wondering if that's a possibility.

Also, thank you all for your help and suggestions. I'm sure we could've waited to find out about this, but this way is more fun.

Lucky

Buffets (like Crystal Palace, Boma etc.) have kids' food sections, but kids are not limited to them nor are adults excluded from them. For counter service meals, the cast members/cashiers don't know and don't care who's eating what; they only see the person who is ordering and paying. And of course if you're paying adult rates on the dining plan, Disney comes out ahead if you eats a kids' meal.

BRER STITCH

We just had this conversation over at my parents last night during dinner. My nieces and nephews are so fussy about what hey want to eat (of course, they are 4 and 6 years old), but growing up, we were told we would be eating whatever my mother made...and that we'd like it! :lol:

If you're going to let a 13 year old whiner determine where you eat on vacation, you'll be missing out on a lot of fantastic dining experiences! How about maybe telling him to not be so selfish and take the interests of the family into account and try something new? The buffets are always a safe, though boring, option.

Besides....no matter where you go, there will be at least one thing on the menu for him...while the rest of the family is enjoying food from the grown up menu!

:slurp:

slacker

Original Poster
Ohhhhhh the point was so missed with my thread here. I'm making my brother out to be a whiny brat, apparently.

If anything it's us. We've decided places we're eating, and we'll be eating there. I'm just saying we'd like him to at least enjoy the meal and if he could take some macaroni instead of something he's only going to pick at, then he will take the macaroni! Goodness, it's his vacation too, why would we force him into eating something he wouldn't want to?

...i thought it was a good question.

momof2girls

I just wanted to tell you that you just lost a pretty big fan of this site! This poor girl was just looking to get some advice and asked a pretty simple yes or no question and everyone is jumping down her throat! I am 36 years old and an EXTREMELY picky eater! Does that mean that I shouldn't be allowed to go on vacation or eat out at new restaurants?? If I, or my child, is not interested in something on a menu, I don't consider them to be SELFISH! :(

To Slacker: Yes, your brother should be able to order from the kids menu. CMs get that all the time!

sbkline

I just wanted to tell you that you just lost a pretty big fan of this site! This poor girl was just looking to get some advice and asked a pretty simple yes or no question and everyone is jumping down her throat! I am 36 years old and an EXTREMELY picky eater! Does that mean that I shouldn't be allowed to go on vacation or eat out at new restaurants?? If I, or my child, is not interested in something on a menu, I don't consider them to be SELFISH! :(

To Slacker: Yes, your brother should be able to order from the kids menu. CMs get that all the time!

That's a bit of an overreaction, IMO. Ya, some of the people in this thread may have been pretty rude, but that's no reason to give up on this site. It's still a great site even if some of the posters aren't as friendly as they should be.

BRER STITCH

That's a bit of an overreaction, IMO. Ya, some of the people in this thread may have been pretty rude, but that's no reason to give up on this site. It's still a great site even if some of the posters aren't as friendly as they should be.

Yeah....she overacted allright. And I don't even see where anyone was rude or not friendly. After all, they cared enough to respond to the original post. Looks like it might have just hit too close to home for her.

Upon reading this again, I think this is the line from the original post that made all the difference:

"...everytime we come to a restaurant we like there's NOTHING on the menu my brother would want. It's always too fancy and stuff for him."

He can order off the children's menu anywhere they go, but at some point I would think hotdogs, chicken fingers, and macaroni and cheese would get a bit old. It can be a bit of a "downer" for the rest of the party if one person always has to be the exception when there is a special family dinner planned with so much new food available to try.

MOMOF2GIRLS.....take a deep breath and turn the page....we all still love ya! Everyone has a right to voice an opinion on a public message board. They are the opinions of the posters and not the owners of the site. Sometimes opinions may not agree with yours, but it would certainly be overreacting to leave the site over this topic! Save it up for a really good one! :lol:

:wave:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I just wanted to tell you that you just lost a pretty big fan of this site! This poor girl was just looking to get some advice and asked a pretty simple yes or no question and everyone is jumping down her throat!

If a yes/no answer was all that was anticipated, a poll would have been a better tool than the question "What do you think?"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom