The Decline of Character Autographs

DisneyMom63

Account Suspended
I wish Disney would get rid of the autograph crap altoghether. There's nothing more annoying than waiting in line to see a character and have some ignorant 17 y/o ram their way in front of the line waving a book and pen in the characters face. :rolleyes:

Aurora_25

To me it doesn't really matter- my daughter loves it and I know it means alot to her- she actually has a couple autrographs of people like Winnie the Pooh and Mickey that look different, but not just for those reasons- some say Happy Birthday, others say Your Pal- little things that make her feel even more special. Alot of them wrote her name because I made her scrapbook and they had more space to write and they saw her name on the front. Really made a great memory for her and me- she looks at it all the time, not caring at all if the names are all signed different :)

Pioneer Hall

ypcat said:
Woody also uses a stamp, so seems all Toy Story characters do. Do any of the other Pixar movie characters sign? Otherwise, maybe having a stamp name is part of the Disney/Pixar agreement.

I find the stamps very impersonnel, BTW. Might as well just have the handler hand out pre-stamped pages.

We went to the Diamond Horseshoe to get woody and jessies autographs and they were both signing, not stamping.

PrtyPlnnrJC101

That's interesting to me that Woody stamps and signs. I have a signature from him that I got at DHS, and now I want to find him at the studios to get the stamp version to see the variation. Is there a difference between them or are they similar?

mom2of2

We got one of the Green Army Men's signature over at MGM a few years ago. It's signed...not stamped. Collector's item?? lol

drew81

Green Army were out in July. They may not be out because there is a change about to occur. Also, expect the Incredibles in TLand at MK very soon.

Connor002

i just looked over my old book, the signatures are fairly consistant, but of course, a careful eye could easily spot differences.

at least disney still regulates the signatures... aparently Eisner wasn't let loose in that department:lol:

does anyone know if universal or any other parks do that with their characters?

DisneyMom63

Account Suspended
For god's sake you people are ridiculous. Do you really expect some poor soul who is being paid minimum wage, sweating in a suit all day to make a perfect little autograph for you? I can't believe people have so much time on their hands that they check every sig. to make sure they are all the same. How pathetic.

dflye

DisneyMom63 said:
For god's sake you people are ridiculous. Do you really expect some poor soul who is being paid minimum wage, sweating in a suit all day to make a perfect little autograph for you? I can't believe people have so much time on their hands that they check every sig. to make sure they are all the same. How pathetic.
With an attitude like that, I hope you never apply to become a CM! :mad:

You don't get to be a character unles you are someone who is just as happy making magical moments for people as those who on the receiving end of the magic.

While I agree that the signatures don't have to be spot on identical between signings, each signature has a certain flair to it that matches the character's personality. Without that flair, as an earlier poster suggested, they may as well just have the character's handler pass out pre-stamped cards to put in your 3-ring "autograph binder"

WDWKat26

Yellow Shoes said:
That is true about Buzz and the stamp. The Green Army Men also have a stamp. I don't really understand why these two, of all the characters, have stamps. It doesn't seem that Buzz's hands are any less able to write than, say, Eeyore's hoof.

I wonder if this is a trend that will continue. It will provide consistency between visits and eliminate hand cramps. (I hope it doesn't)

Okay here's a post to straighten things out. Some of our friends who know Buzz Lightyear sometimes can barely touch their fingers together, let alone SIGN an autograph book. Some can barely touch their face too. Secondly, Buzz's Jetpack and whole space suit weighs about oh...95 POUNDS so it's a little hard to constantly lift your arms and the jetpack up for every single child that wants an autograph. This is why Buzz has a stamp. Sorry, you'll just have to deal with it but trust me it's definitely easier for Mr. Lightyear.

Woody now signs, they have gotten rid of his stamps and they also have gotten rid of stamps for Green Army Man. They both now sign again. Jessie also has always signed her own autographs.

WDWKat26

Okay a lot of people really don't seem to understand what goes on in the life of a character in one day. So let me enlighten some of you, especially the ones who seem so ungrateful if part of a signature is off.

DisneyMom63 said:
I wish Disney would get rid of the autograph crap altoghether. There's nothing more annoying than waiting in line to see a character and have some ignorant 17 y/o ram their way in front of the line waving a book and pen in the characters face. :rolleyes:

DisneyMom63 said:

I love you. Seriously. Some people really don't get it. Here's a typical scenerio of a character autograph/photo time with a child:
Parents stand in line with their child, and the it is said child's turn to see the character. The child will walk up to the character who looks down at them and waves, but the character's "eyes" are still relatively up. The child hands the book completely out of sight range (Usually it will be handed to the character in a blind spot) with a closed book and an unclicked pen. Let's say for example the character is pluto. Pluto has 3 very bulky fingers, think he can open an autograph book by himself? When he motions to said child to open the book, the child just stares and says, "Yeah, sign this." No please or anything. As the character motions again for them to open the book, at this point the parents usually yell "OPEN THE BOOK FOR HIM AND GET HIM TO SIGN IT!" as the book is finally opened, Pluto is given the pen. But alas, the pen cap is still on. You show the pen cap to the child who pulls the pen cap off. By the time Pluto's signature is done he looks down to give the book back, only to realize the child has turned around and is paying attention to everything else on main street while looking bored in front of Pluto. Finally, a picture is taken and the child and the parents walk away without saying "Thank you". Now I know that's a lot to read, and it doesn't seem like a lot or very bothersome, but imagine getting it oh at least 100 times a day.

I'm sorry if i'm sounding like the grouch right now, but people tend to forget that characters are people too. They are not robots able to produce the EXACT same thing over and over. Yes some people want perfection, but like I said we're all human and sometimes mistakes are made and perfection can't be achieved ALL THE TIME. I'm going to defend my fellow characters and say that they all try their best at their signatures, and yes they are out for the guests enjoyment, but don't forget to be polite and thank them for the autograph. There's nothing worse than someone coming up and saying "Sign this" and walking off without saying anything else. I'm sorry if anyone has been dissapointed with signatures lately, and honestly, if you would like a new signature be my guest and PM me or IM me and if you want to send me an autograph book or t-shirt I will personally make sure it gets signed. I will also say that I have seen some seriously butchered autographs lately, and i'm sorry to anyone who has gotten one...trust me i'm just as frustrated when I see a "Rafiki" signature that looks like it was signed by an 8th grade female (Bubbly and way WRONG). But please, cut the characters a small break, it's summer and they are all working as hard as possible. This summer has been EXTRA hard on everyone in Walt Disney World with the hiring shortage. I'm part time and last week I worked 46.8 hours, I have friends who are full time working between 50-80 hours a week sometimes without a day off for 2 or 3 weeks.

Once again i'm sorry if I seem like the :fork: here, but some people don't seem to understand. I hope this helps.

DisneyMom63

Account Suspended
WDWKat26 said:
Okay a lot of people really don't seem to understand what goes on in the life of a character in one day. So let me enlighten some of you, especially the ones who seem so ungrateful if part of a signature is off.

I love you. Seriously. Some people really don't get it. Here's a typical scenerio of a character autograph/photo time with a child:
Parents stand in line with their child, and the it is said child's turn to see the character. The child will walk up to the character who looks down at them and waves, but the character's "eyes" are still relatively up. The child hands the book completely out of sight range (Usually it will be handed to the character in a blind spot) with a closed book and an unclicked pen. Let's say for example the character is pluto. Pluto has 3 very bulky fingers, think he can open an autograph book by himself? When he motions to said child to open the book, the child just stares and says, "Yeah, sign this." No please or anything. As the character motions again for them to open the book, at this point the parents usually yell "OPEN THE BOOK FOR HIM AND GET HIM TO SIGN IT!" as the book is finally opened, Pluto is given the pen. But alas, the pen cap is still on. You show the pen cap to the child who pulls the pen cap off. By the time Pluto's signature is done he looks down to give the book back, only to realize the child has turned around and is paying attention to everything else on main street while looking bored in front of Pluto. Finally, a picture is taken and the child and the parents walk away without saying "Thank you". Now I know that's a lot to read, and it doesn't seem like a lot or very bothersome, but imagine getting it oh at least 100 times a day.

I'm sorry if i'm sounding like the grouch right now, but people tend to forget that characters are people too. They are not robots able to produce the EXACT same thing over and over. Yes some people want perfection, but like I said we're all human and sometimes mistakes are made and perfection can't be achieved ALL THE TIME. I'm going to defend my fellow characters and say that they all try their best at their signatures, and yes they are out for the guests enjoyment, but don't forget to be polite and thank them for the autograph. There's nothing worse than someone coming up and saying "Sign this" and walking off without saying anything else. I'm sorry if anyone has been dissapointed with signatures lately, and honestly, if you would like a new signature be my guest and PM me or IM me and if you want to send me an autograph book or t-shirt I will personally make sure it gets signed. I will also say that I have seen some seriously butchered autographs lately, and i'm sorry to anyone who has gotten one...trust me i'm just as frustrated when I see a "Rafiki" signature that looks like it was signed by an 8th grade female (Bubbly and way WRONG). But please, cut the characters a small break, it's summer and they are all working as hard as possible. This summer has been EXTRA hard on everyone in Walt Disney World with the hiring shortage. I'm part time and last week I worked 46.8 hours, I have friends who are full time working between 50-80 hours a week sometimes without a day off for 2 or 3 weeks.

Once again i'm sorry if I seem like the :fork: here, but some people don't seem to understand. I hope this helps.
Thank you for defending the workers here! Everyone here seems to think the CM's are magical robots who would work for nothing because Disney is so great! I'm sick of all the CM bashing going on here because personally I think they are doing a great job. Thanks for your hard work Kat! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom