The Dad and One Kid Only Trip

GenerationX

Original Poster
For various reasons we've had to scale back our vacation plans this year. We're going to hit the Dells as a family for a long weekend, and my wife is going to a professional conference for a couple of days by herself.

I attended a Fatherhood seminar at my church a couple of years ago. One piece of advice they gave was to take a vacation with each kid without the rest of the family. The logic being that for at least one weekend of the year, the kid would have the full attention of their father.

When my wife and I raised the idea to our sons, they were all very enthusiastic. To no one's surprise, they all wanted their weekend with Dad to be at WDW. So, oldest son (13) is going with me this year, middle son next year, and youngest son in 2010. All three are happy with this schedule.

My questions to you are: Has anyone done this? Any suggestions on what to do or avoid? Souvenir ideas for those left at home?

kstella

When my DS and I went by ourselves I looked for stuff for my DD, who was left behind, things about her favorite characters and stuff that worked with her current interests.

almond

On the gift buying idea how about something like a lanyard so they can keep it for their own trip and buy some badges when they go to put on it.

GenerationX

Original Poster
Thanks for the ideas! My sons all love collecting badges, and a new lanyard for each with a couple of badges based on their favorite characters will be perfect. :)

Sherrybaby

I've been with my son alone several times. I try to make plans around what he likes to do the most. But it's a two way street because it's my vacation too so I get to do some fun things as well.

As far as gifts for people at home. I have not had a lot of luck with clothing items. Either it's too small or too big or they don't like the style, etc. I'd stick with non-clothing items.

Sherry

PolynesianMedic

I did this with my 3 almost 4 y/o DS this past November. It was the coolest experience in the world for me. We had such a great time. We did everything together that we possibly could. BTMRR, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, EVERYTHING. We made sure that we looked for stuff for DW who was off on a trip of her own, and we absolutely made sure that EVERY photo pass photographer we came across we got our picture taken. That way we could show DW the things we did. I would go through the countries in Epcot with the kids also to show them the differnences of all of the places around the world. There is a lot to see and do in each of the different pavilions. I look forward to hearing about your trip when you return.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
For various reasons we've had to scale back our vacation plans this year. We're going to hit the Dells as a family for a long weekend, and my wife is going to a professional conference for a couple of days by herself.

I attended a Fatherhood seminar at my church a couple of years ago. One piece of advice they gave was to take a vacation with each kid without the rest of the family. The logic being that for at least one weekend of the year, the kid would have the full attention of their father.

When my wife and I raised the idea to our sons, they were all very enthusiastic. To no one's surprise, they all wanted their weekend with Dad to be at WDW. So, oldest son (13) is going with me this year, middle son next year, and youngest son in 2010. All three are happy with this schedule.

My questions to you are: Has anyone done this? Any suggestions on what to do or avoid? Souvenir ideas for those left at home?

:sohappy: I just did this with my four year old son in April. We had a blast. If you can afford it, each time get the two who are staying behind something really nice that you know they will like. That way, the kids at home look forward to the other siblings' trip almost as much as the lucky one.

GenerationX

Original Poster
More good advice, thanks. We're definitely bringing both my camera and the boys' camera. I like the logic behind getting the two left at home something really nice. I may have to get them lanyards and a couple of highly sought after badges each.

figmentmom

Have another guest take a picture of you and your son next to the Indian on Main Street ( or another landmark). When you return with your other two sons on THEIR solo trips with Dad, have the same picture taken in the same spot. You and your sons will each have a memento of their trip with dad that automatically relates to each of their brothers' trips.

I'm sure you'll be able to think of a souvenir that each boy at home would really like to have, that would serve as a promise of their trip to come! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom