The Bubble Theory..

real mad hatter

So here it is...How important is that WDW vacation to you.?..You know you can save big bucks and stay outside the magic circle ( Bubble ).. But would you rather spend those extra bucks to stay on site..Reason I ask is that buddy of mine is planning to go back to WDW after a seven year absence with his new wife ( divorced from last one ) and his little boy ( aged 3 ) but was amazed at the price difference between off site and on site..So how far would you go to save a buck..???..Is spending those extra bucks worth it to be staying inside the bubble..??..

I am a FL resident who lives 4 hours away so when I go on a long vacation, I need a place to stay and I like to stay on site.

However, in the last five years (4 really) prices have changed a lot and this is how it has affected my family and our trips

All Star / Pop Century:
4 years ago, with FL discounts I could have stayed at the Pop century or All stars for $50 a night. At those rates, I would have driven up during the weekend and gone several times a year.

Today: Now it will cost me $100-$125 for those rooms.

That is doubled in less than five years

The Cabins
Last year I was able to book the cabin at a 30% discount, this year it is a 20% discount.

4 years ago:
I could stay for 1 week at a cost of $1450

Today: it will cost me $2150

Plus the golf cart rentals seem to be going up about $3-5 a day every year.

I usually split the Cabin 2 ways but this year I need to split it 3 ways (Wife & me + Mom-in-law + My aunt and cousin).

4 Years ago, we used to visit for 1 week long vacation and 5 weekend long vacations. Now we do one week long vacation only. 4 years from now...???

We are at a point where we are ready to start cooling the Disney engine and visit less often than every year.

Upvote 0

WDW 3

We would never stay outside the bubble. We love to ride through the magical gates and leave a week later never leaving the bubble. We know too many people that have only gone once, stayed outside and never go back. They clearly miss something and it has to be because they've been outside ;) Can't possibly be any other reason. Right?

Upvote 0

emigrating

When flying in and staying on property you don't have to worry about:
- going to baggage claim
- waiting at a line at the rental counter
- paying for parking
- having a few drinks in the park
- being at the right parking lot after park hopping
- getting gas before returning rental car
- waiting in line at airline check-in counter at airport for trip back home

Of course if you are driving to Disney, you can cross a few of the items above of the list. All comes down to paying for convenience, and if the price difference of staying off-property is really worth it in the long run. Also need to consider if you would use the EMH's....

- We bring hand luggage only and spend first day shopping.
- We're "preferred" rental customers which means we just pick up the car and go.
- Ok, you got me, we're paying an additional $15 or so every day.
- Drinks? This is 'murica, we'll drink and drive thanks ma'am :) No, but seriously, we'll get one of the adults to stay of the sauce and shuttle the rest of us, or plan ahead and grab a cab.
- We don't generally park hop, if we did it would be a consideration of course.
- We'll have filled a fair few tanks of gas during our three weeks anyway, so what's one more before returning the car? Although, we generally splurge for the return-empty policy and pay the rental agencies marked up gas price.
- We check in online and drop off the luggage at the designated spot. Not quite as easy as ME, but not far from it.

Sure, this is costing us more in terms of gas, rentals, parking and whatnot than the "free" if we stayed on property. However, divided between all the adults in the group it really isn't that much per day and we're free to do what we want, when we want rather than having to rely on [overcrowded] busses and paying more than triple the money on accommodation (for a similar level of standard villa - which would in some cases be further from the action). Sure, we're further away from MK than some, but we're closer to DTD, DHS and AK than others staying on prop.

So while I agree it's all down to convenience, for some folks it's more convenient to stay off property. We're right at the gate if we want, but similarly we're right on the 400 ready to head for the malls or god forbid US and SW :) Also, since we do the keys for the last week before returning back home to freezing temperatures and Christmas Eve we'd need a car either way.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Florida is my bubble. Disney is a bubble within that
So what your trying to say is,you land at your bubble,then travel to get inside another bubble..Then you leave that bubble, to get to your first bubble, before flying home...:confused:..Way too many bubbles for me..:cry:..You Guernsey folk are always bubbling..Ya Big Jessie's..:joyfull:...Touché ...;)

Upvote 0

tmstephe

I honestly prefer staying onsite. There's just something about letting Disney take care of the transportation, food, and lodging that makes the trip that much easier. I know that you can save a bit of money by staying offsite, but then you have to worry about the traffic into the park, paying for parking, and keeping track of the car.

I guess it really just comes down to how much external planning you want to do.

And I'll add to that, we buy the Disney Dining Plan for the same reason. I know we either break even or it actually costs a little more, but it's the peace of mind of being on an "all inclusive" vacation where everything is taken care of. We can concentrate our energy on making the most of the trip.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom