The Attractions That Don't Get the Attention They Deserve

RealHawker

Crazy Harry said:
No, I didn't forget the point. Someone said el rio was underrated, someone else disagreed and I countered. It is after all a discussion board.

And I think that maybe attension should be changed to recognision. IMO I feel el rio is a much better attraction than people want to give it credit for. It is simplistically delightful.

I also feel it is a much better representation at the very least of the essense of the culture as opposed to the generalized idea maelstrom portrays.

I do however Hawker enjoy and respect your opinion, and am greatly anticipating a rebutle to my statements.

I'm just curious if trolls, vikings, and oil rigs accurately represent your culture. I feel they are merly aspects of your culture slapped together unintelagably (sp?). I also feel that Maestrom is the inferior attraction and will kindly give my reasoning.

1. The queue is highly uninteresting. It's a shame the unloading area is better imagined esspecially considering you spend less time there. Simply give people something to occupy their minds with aids in staving boredom.

2. It's way too short.

3. There are quite a few scenes after the drop which are passed by too quickly to enjoy.

4. There is obsolutely no transition between the scenes. This attraction lacks a cohesive or cronilogically assembled story.

I'm sure I can come up with other reasoning later. And now my reasons why el rio is better

1. Higher attension to detail.

2. There is no need for a good queue given the environment provides that atmospere by itself

3. It's longer.

4. It is cohesivly and inteligably assembled.

5. It appropriatly depicts the essence of the culture by representing it's many diverse aspects.

For those who do not agree, how would you change this attraction to more accuratley represent the culture.

For Maelstrom, I would either focus on one aspect such as viking heritage or norse mythology or simply represent certain aspects and evenly blend them together.

I actually rate maelstrom right there with el rio. I was stating that it was highly billed vs El Rio. If I was forced to pick one ride, I would pick maelstrom.

I am not well versed in mexican history, but I have visited many times. I think they could focus on the ancient history of mexicans, pre-spanish influence. That is what I found most interesting when I was there.

Crazy Harry

RealHawker said:
I actually rate maelstrom right there with el rio. I was stating that it was highly billed vs El Rio. If I was forced to pick one ride, I would pick maelstrom.

And I respect that. El rio is subdate and fairly subtle and Maelstrom is more exciting.

RealHawker said:
I am not well versed in mexican history, but I have visited many times. I think they could focus on the ancient history of mexicans, pre-spanish influence. That is what I found most interesting when I was there.

That's a good point too. The modern culture should not be completely lost, but then again they don't represent it as well as they could, and the anchient history is certaily more interesting, to me anyway. I guess it's just hard too to try and fit all of the important aspects of one culture in a six minute ride without losing a little in translation which is what they attempted.

I guess it's one of those things where you should allow the overall culture to surface in the rest of the pavilion and focus on a single subject for the ride.

darthdarrel

I would have to say C.O.P.
You know I have been to Epcot several times in the past 12 years and I have never been in the Mexican pavillion or ridden on El rio :lookaroun

Jekyll

Ok my list.

MK: I have to say CoP. It was one of Walt’s and along the same line...the Jungle Cruise. The jokes are lame but I still laugh all the time. TTA is always a nice break.

EPCOT: American adventure is def underrated, as is Rio Del Tempo. There is nothing better then grabbing a margarita and hopping on there feeling a little happy if you catch my drift.

MGM: Sounds dangerous…Always a lot of fun, as is the back lot tour!

AK: the Gorilla walk is really nice and something a little different.

But I have to agree with our thread starter American Adventure is most likely the most underrated Attraction in WDW.

Since1976

El Rio del Tiempo is a hidden treat. I liken it to lifting up a rock at Epcot and finding a ride there.

It's not a fantastic ride, but it's relaxing and unhyped, and that's what why I smile every time I go on it.

Jekyll

Since1976 said:
El Rio del Tiempo is a hidden treat. I liken it to lifting up a rock at Epcot and finding a ride there.

It's not a fantastic ride, but it's relaxing and unhyped, and that's what why I smile every time I go on it.

I agree, if your in the spirit of the ride it's a lot of fun. Just boucning around enjoying it all. That's what I love about it. Of course it could stand an upgrade. But that a whole different thread which I may start! :drevil:

cuteazabutton74

Blackie Pueblo said:
All the poles and topics on favorite rides, hated rides, etc got me thinking. We all love Disney world, and have special places for the rides that stand out. But what about the little stuff about Disney World that doesn't get the attention it maybe should. Like, what attractions or rides do you love, but it seems to get little attention or is almost unknown by some visitors.

For example-
Magic Kingdom: I love the river boat that goes around Tom Sawyer Island. It's a really nice relaxing ride with some great sights of the island, the Haunted Mansion, and some things you can't see well enough unless your on the boat. But not too many people take this scenic trip.

EPCOT: As good as it is, I am still amazed by people who haven't heard of The American Adventure show. This is by far one of the greatest Animatronic shows in the Disney World resorts.

I'm sure there are other attractions that I love that may not get attention, but I can't think of anymore right now. What about you guys? Maybe there is a piticular show, or place to eat? Place to shop?

Blackie Pueblo
http://www.newlineagefilms.com

I do love the American Adventure show I saw it for the first time in Dec. 2004. I have been going to EPCOT since Dec. 2002 and never realized that there was a show there.
Cary

hcswingfield

cuteazabutton74 said:
I do love the American Adventure show I saw it for the first time in Dec. 2004. I have been going to EPCOT since Dec. 2002 and never realized that there was a show there.
Cary

I had to quit going to that show for a while because the ending always made me cry too much, especially when they showed Ryan White. I may be able to watch it again next time. It is a great show.

cuteazabutton74

SpenceMan01 said:
Actually, I like it too. It's a nice little ride that never has a line and it lets you get out of the sun a bit and get off your feet. I think El Rio is the definition of underrated @ WDW. A lot of people think it's stupid and pointless, but some of us see it as more.

Welcome mis amigos
To friendly Mexico.
To the LAND of fiestas
They're everywhere you go.

Listen to marimbas
And mariachis, too.
Playing Latin rhythm
And serenading you.

Come join the crowd.
The music's good and loud.
The air is full of song.
So come and sing along.

Because in Mexico,
When people smile at you,
There's just one thing to do:
You join the fiesta, too.

:wave:

I have to agree with you I do love "El rio del tiempo". Everytime I go on there are no lines and it kind of reminds me of IASW but with out alot of music.
Cary

cuteazabutton74

I have a few. Like I stated before American Adventure, makes me feel proud to be an American. I also love COP, I love anything that has to do with teaching me the history of America. I also enjoy riding El rio specially the part with the Mexican history. When I get off the boat it makes me want to go to Mexico. I also love the Enchanted Tiki room, it has been a favorite of mine since I can remember. Now these are rides that no matter what time of the year I go there are never any lines and the ride is almost empty.
Cary

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom