The Amazing Five Year Plan

Cliff

Is it just me, or does it seem to you folks that ABC is a big 800 pound gorilla on their back. Disney's "other" investments are putting a major drag on their "core" business.

The "core" business (the parks, movies, everything Walt started and such) is forced to cary a tremendous amount of dead weight these days.

The Disney brand is a true powehouse...but it does have it's limitations like everything else in the world.

If the five year plan included selling off ABC...who on this board would be upset at this?

I know I wouldn't.

Disney needs to get back to it's ROOTS if it is going to thrive in the next five years.

My $.02

CT : - ):dazzle:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Originally posted by pheneix
>>>If you take a look at all of his posts at LaughingPlace.com I'm sure you'll see what I'm talking about and I'm sure that he can answer absolutly ANY questions you have about the future direction of the company!<<<

Let me get this straight, you joined this site just to criticize me? , this just gets better and better...

Well I thought thats what you were after. It is noticeable also that your fan club are also new posters. Im not suggesting that this is connected.
Im a pretty cynical individual, but do try and havea laugh ocassionaly. looking back through your post reveals a catalogue of negativity, I know best and general doom gloom its all gonna end so why bother attitude. Try and lighten up and post something other than negative Hot ________. As im sure your just as deranged a WDW fan as me, although admittedly far better connected:)

Archie the Cat

Pheneix..Hmm..

With all due respect to Pheneix, I personally believe that's he's a complete, well, nothing in respect to knowing what is going on.

Folks, he was one of these kids on the Yahoo! Horizons message boards a few years ago hoping for the attraction to be saved and he was always looking to get the latest and great information on the parks.

He pretended to know what was going on a few years ago, but really poor grammar gave away the fact that he wasn't for real. The grammar looks to have been polished up, but Pheneix still isn't our insider. No offense, but most people in the know are in L.A. and FL, not NC. Hmm..

Too many "wannabees" are taken way too seriously on the boards and the Internet. Maybe I'm incorrect, but I'd take Mr. Pheneix's words to be nothing more than embelishing other rumors that he's scoured up on the Internet. :D

pheneix

Original Poster
>>>I personally believe that's he's a complete, well, nothing in respect to knowing what is going on.<<<

Moron? Please, go ahead and post it, I have leather thick skin.

>>>He pretended to know what was going on a few years ago, but really poor grammar gave away the fact that he wasn't for real.<<<

Newsflash: There are a lot of people online who don't give a flying crap as to how their grammar turns out. I was one of them. BTW, if you had actually bothered to remember the whole story, you would realize that I dropped the whole "no-caps" gig a couple of weeks after joining.

>>>No offense, but most people in the know are in L.A. and FL, not NC. Hmm..<<<

Oh great, so now you are using my location as "ammunition"? Hey, I know my hometown sucks, but DAMN!

>>>Maybe I'm incorrect, but I'd take Mr. Pheneix's words to be nothing more than embelishing other rumors that he's scoured up on the Internet.<<<

Fine. That's one opinion of many.

Hey, you didn't happen to post as Pinkyfree back in those days, did you?

Testtrack321

Re: Re: The Amazing Five Year Plan

Originally posted by EpCOtISgooD

No way !!!1 Monster Inc. was one of my favorite Picksar/Disney Movies!!! It great that tehy're finaly buidling the ride but it's not good that only because Eyesner is scared. Either way good that he build roller coasters!!!

What park is it going in is it going in Epcot they're getting money!

Shot me now.... :cry:

dreamer

Originally posted by 10021982
Is it just me, or does it seem to you folks that ABC is a big 800 pound gorilla on their back. Disney's "other" investments are putting a major drag on their "core" business.

The "core" business (the parks, movies, everything Walt started and such) is forced to cary a tremendous amount of dead weight these days.

My $.02

Do you think there's not a personal agenda? Do you think the Disney execs see themselves solely as bearers of a sacred trust, eager to care for Walt's legacy to the world?

NOT! Somebody up there wants to have a TV network for whatever reason. [Insert speculations. Political agendas?] They obviously don't care about profitability. And they've crammed MGM studios with ABC advertisement crap to boot. They're using profit from the parks to support their own agendas.

Hopefully, they will at least care about the parks from the profit standpoint. They certainly aren't standing around welcoming people to "this happy place" because they love to see people smile. They're in the back counting the beans.

And yeah, they probably would close Splash Mtn if it bought them the power they're looking for.

bearboysnc

No offense, but most people in the know are in L.A. and FL, not NC. Hmm...

Hmmm... ONLY L.A.? What about the rest of CA? What about some of us who USED to work for Disney, still have spies at Disney, and MOVED to NC. Do we count?

All this venom from a Cat with 6 posts and NO location. By your own deduction, no locations means you don't know jack.

MKingdom25

Originally posted by pheneix
Well, the amazing five year plan that Eisner unveiled to the board has been conviently leaked to a few privilaged individuals, and to be honest, a lot of the speculation we've seen today is not only completely wrong, but but based upon thinking in the wrong direction.

To get back on topic for a sec ( :D ), Pheneix you said this has been leaked to a few select people. Do you know a place online where this report can be read? Thanks!

Originally posted by 10021982
Is it just me, or does it seem to you folks that ABC is a big 800 pound gorilla on their back.

If the five year plan included selling off ABC...who on this board would be upset at this?

Ok, Iwould be upset if they lost ABC! Yes ABC is in the doghouse right now but that can be changed and remember that the television industry winners seem to be cyclical. Maybe the ABC division needs major leadership change, but it would be a big loss to Disney if they lose such a major oulet like ABC. Is there room for improvement---yes, definitely. But don't sell it right now, especially when all television giants are doing poorly because of the poor economy and the effects of 9/11. It would be better to build it up rather than sell it at its current undervalued status.

As to the theme park cuts, I just can not believe this fiction. Disney would not gut its cash cow. If anything, I see them spending a lot more money on their theme parks because they are very well aware of their cash cow status and they want to maintain superiority over all other competitors. If they did major cuts to the theme parks, then they would be committing corporation suicide----it's just not going to happen!

:hammer:

mickeyfanatics

Archie the Cat - GET A LIFE! It is people like you who are only interested in creating arguments that really upset me. If you do not like it here, or do not like the people who post here, DO NOT COME BACK!

Sherm00

I think we are just going to have to wait and see. it's goint to be a good 5 years before the effects of 9/11 lift and more confidence is established in the travel industry. i also think disney should not get rid of ABC. I think the company grew too large in the past 5 years they do not know how to manage it. i think disney's best bet now after the refurbs is to completely re-work the mony allocation within the company (this also can be mis-interpereted and budget cuts). once disney can sustain each business level and giving the ailing areas the budget they need (except for pixar movies and lilo and stitch disney movies have not done all that well, and they could have, and ABC can do so much more disney stuff). once they re-allocate and then start doing more in the parks (mission space opening, referbs done, new ride announced going into animal kingdom, some re-working of some shows etc) disney will take off again from there. Then when each area of business can sustain itself then we will see more done in the parks. thats my theory.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom