Trip Report The (almost) perfect WDW Trip - March '19

I'm a week back from a terrific trip to Florida. Great weather (after the first couple of days), great food, large crowds (but I can handle that), and no major troubles with the aging bod! I have had some trouble in the past with exhaustion, and with pain in the legs & feets (right foot broken many years ago, left knee going out). This time I started exercising (well, walking) about 2 months out, and it made a huge difference! I still had some pain, I still had to use the cane a couple of mornings. But overall I got around pretty well. The other cool thing was that I had booked a longer trip. I've been doing long weekends lately, Friday to Monday. This time I booked Sunday through Saturday, and was able to take more time off back at the hotel to rest up, which also made a big difference in my energy level.

So enough about me - let's get on with the report!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I hate to say it, but I actually didn't enjoy this coaster. The problem was with the layout of the track. It's banked almost 90 degrees at times, but it went through those turns really slowly, and I felt like I was at risk of falling out of the car from a great height. I normally enjoy coasters, but this one didn't work for me.

That's the first time I heard anyone make a comment about the 90 degree banking turns--and how slowly the coaster went through those. Feeling like you might fall out is scary! Do they have seat belts, or just a looser lap belt? Was it a lap belt that didn't feel as secure as you may have wished? Just curious, as I've never been on that coaster.

Kiwiduck

Monday, March 18 -

Now comes the "almost" part - the big mistake that I made. I had just completed a great evening in Epcot, which included a few martinis at the end of the day (and yes, I took the bus back to my room). Monday morning I had booked the Early Morning Magic thing at the Studios, which was about they only time the whole week I would get to enjoy the new Toy Story Land without big crowds. But to do this I had to get up after about 6 hours of sleep, feeling like crap, and just plodding through the morning. It was still a hard dark when I arrived -

After slogging all the way over to the west side to get some OJ, I finally got to see TSL for the first time -

I did my first ride on Slinky Dog -

I confirmed that he had his tail back -

I hate to say it, but I actually didn't enjoy this coaster. The problem was with the layout of the track. It's banked almost 90 degrees at times, but it went through those turns really slowly, and I felt like I was at risk of falling out of the car from a great height. I normally enjoy coasters, but this one didn't work for me.

I hit all 3 of the major attractions, and then plodded over to the west side again for a pretty unimpressive breakfast, and then back to bed, where I slept through most of the day.

The afternoon and evening were much better! I headed for the MK, where I saw this (new?) ferry for the first time -

The crowds were huge, but I hit a few people eaters like the Carousel of Progress and the People Mover, where there was a line on the ground level, but it moved pretty quickly. Dinner was at the always excellent Narcoosee's, where I started with the calamari -

... followed up with the always awesome surf & turf -

No room for dessert, but still a great meal. Time to head back to my room, making it a somewhat early night. But that was a good thing!
You did much better than I did with the Toy Story early morning event. I decided to doze for a few minutes after my alarm went off and ended up waking up again long after the event was already underway. Dinner looks great!

danyoung56

Original Poster
Do they have seat belts, or just a looser lap belt? Was it a lap belt that didn't feel as secure as you may have wished?

It's the standard lap bar, and I'm sure I was very secure. But sitting in the back of the coaster, it was going very slowly as it crested the hill, and I really felt iffy about my security. I just didn't enjoy the feeling.

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Believe me, it was really tough to drag my tired, hungover self out of bed that morning. I gotta do better scheduling next time!
Schedule looked good to me. In fact....
I loved your trip!!! (That was taking it easy?)
And the food! Yes please!
As for the better weather Tuesday and on, I left and took the rain with me.
It’s what I do☔

c.j.hong

I’m about 5 weeks returned from my last trip. Enjoyed being able to read through a quick report on a break from work. Just enough info and pics to … (fill in the blank). Glad you made it to the Harbour House. You had mentioned the second floor before on a different post. While I try to change a lot of things up on my trips to WDW year over year, some (not many) things get put on an “every trip” list. Taking a break from the heat, crowds, etc. on the second floor at Harbour House has been on my “every trip” list for my last few trips even if other family members walk down to Sleepy Hollow or wherever and bring food back.

So … thanks for sharing the report (and tips).

danyoung56

Original Poster
Happy to do so. Tuvalu is the queen of the long reports, and I'm the king of the shorties!

I'm going to have to think twice about going upstairs at Harbor House. I really like it up there, but I don't like wobbling up the steps with my food tray. Maybe I'll lose enough weight before the next trip to give the old knees some relief!

BuckyMom

Happy to do so. Tuvalu is the queen of the long reports, and I'm the king of the shorties!

I'm going to have to think twice about going upstairs at Harbor House. I really like it up there, but I don't like wobbling up the steps with my food tray. Maybe I'll lose enough weight before the next trip to give the old knees some relief!
I love your style AND Tuvalu's. Variety and spice of life and all that.
If I'm ever in the park at the same time, I'd be happy to help you get that tray upstairs and join you for a meal.
I have decided that taking the parks at one's own pace is the recipe for a happy trip. For me, a slow stroll and good eats sounds lovely.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

There's always people who would be happy to assist you with your tray. while going upstairs. If you want to go upstairs, that should be a possibility for you. (I also like upstairs at CHH.) I wonder as well, if there is an elevator in that building for guests with disabilities.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom