The Age-Old Debate...

kcnole

I am one who personally cant stand Universal. The competition irritates me to no end and do not plan on ever visiting Universal again after the one time i have been there. DISNEY WORLD FOR LIFE!!!

:brick: Oh yeah, that evil competition. How dare someone else try and compete with the Holy Disney? How anybody can think the competition is bad for Disney is beyond me. Were it not for Universal I doubt we'd have the number of parks we have now and some of the updated money they have thrown into the parks. Universal has in its past really forced Disney to step up to keep the lead. Disney fans should be thanking Universal for doing so, not complaining about the evil competition.

I will never understand those who hate Universal. It's a wonderful pair of parks. It may not have the "magic" of WDW or the nostolgia that draws so many of us back again and again, but its a very nice product and those who just hate it because it's not Disney are really missing out on something good.

Michael72688

They will never learn, honestly its like being a 5 year old and having to get your way or way. As for the parks, I love them both, I'm a huge theme park fan. But lately Disney's park, at least in Orlando, have really dropped off the map when it comes to quality and service. The parks dont look that great, as they once did and they continue to decline. The only bright spot is Everest, which doesnt look bad at all.

DigitalDisney

Here's my beef with USO. Keep in mind that I've been a AP holder for years and I am finally not renewing for a little while (probably until IOA gets a new attraction). On my last visit, I experienced all of the following in abundance.

Employee quality - It seems like USO employees are the bottom of the barrel, on average. Yes, there are outstanding employees. There are outstanding employees at my local Six Flags, and at the Dairy Queen up the road. IMO, there are a lot of USO employees that just don't care. I've heard people working various load area PAs that were joking around, having a good time, telling inside jokes, or being generally annoying.

I've also been forgotten when ordering food, while others have gotten service (they had a Meal Pass....hrmmmmmm).

Unwelcome sales attempts - While I do get forgotten when ordering food, I certainly don't get forgotten while walking from my car to the parks, or while in the parks.

For the last time, no, I don't want one of your stupid credit cards (it's amazing how many people sign up for them). And no, I don't want to listen to any of your condominium propoganda. People are on vacation (an expensive one, at that) while others are trying to make a living from commission on condo sales. When two worlds collide...

Poorly enforced FOTL - Front of the line access would be more respected if kids weren't always jumping into it. Ever wonder why the Hulk line wasn't moving as quick as it should? Well, that's because kids are d u c k i n g ( why is d__________g censored?) under the rope and going from the Single Rider line to the unenforced FOTL line. Someone may check your pass at the main entrance, but there sure wasn't anyone checking them at the actual station. In some cases, that spot was completely unmanned. I've seen this happen at MiB and ROTM too.

To sum it up: I love the attractions at both parks, and IOA is my favorite theme park. ROTM and Spiderman rock my world, and just about all of the attractions in both parks are pretty damn fun.

Little things like the problems I mentioned above make a pretty big impact. Unfortunately, they happened chronically on my last visit, so I decided that it will be my last visit to USO for a long long time.

The end.

IOACentralRadio

See, those are the same things thats turned me away from disney, and I will not be renewing my AP's to disney this year....all four of them. And I'm not even paying for it! So, its different for each person.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
See, those are the same things thats turned me away from disney, and I will not be renewing my AP's to disney this year....all four of them. And I'm not even paying for it! So, its different for each person.
4 Disney AP's... for one person?

vmk4eva

Disney vs. Universal. You guys have all seen it a hundred times, and will probably see it a hundred times again. However, I come with a request...

I love both resorts pretty equally, but I know there are those of you who do NOT feel the same way. This is a Disney board, and I know that there are several here who would take Disney over Universal any day. But why? Are you willing to go toe-to-toe with a couple of Universal fans, and discuss why you think Disney is better?

I think Universal is better cuz it has more rollercoasters and disney is like really childish it is fun but universal is better:xmas: :king:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Why Disney over Universal? Simple really. Disney does a much better job of closing the veil of the world behind you when you come on property. When I go to Disney, I really dont think about what I left behind on the other side of that WDW sign. When I go to Universal, I dont get that same feeling. Maybe because WDW did a better job of planning and secluding themselves. Maybe its because Disney to me is more than just four attraction parks, two water parks and a retail area. Maybe its because at every step of the way, from checking in to riding the bus, to watching the fireworks, everything is geared to draw my attention away from real life and not what I have to deal with the other 350 some odd days of the year. I just do not get that same distraction at Universal, Sea World, or Six Flags. In addition to top quality attractions Disney does the "everything else besides the rides" part of it so much better than Universal.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I think Universal is better cuz it has more rollercoasters and disney is like really childish it is fun but universal is better:xmas: :king:

Disney is only childish to an adolescent trying to act mature.

Disney is suppose to bring out the child in you. It is suppose to make you forget about lifes worries and strife and re-instill a sense of wonder and amazement :wave:

IOACentralRadio

Disney is only childish to an adolescent trying to act mature.

Disney is suppose to bring out the child in you. It is suppose to make you forget about lifes worries and strife and re-instill a sense of wonder and amazement :wave:
Suppose being the operative word. All it instills in me is a sense of emptiness, anger and frustration...in my wallet, feet and patience. Listen to the debate next week. Listen to the show this week.....just listen, you'll enjoy yourselves...trust me on that.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Suppose being the operative word. All it instills in me is a sense of emptiness, anger and frustration...in my wallet, feet and patience. Listen to the debate next week. Listen to the show this week.....just listen, you'll enjoy yourselves...trust me on that.

I have waited in longer lines at Universal for attractions that left me feeling the same way, empty, angry, and frustrated.

Whatever you can say against Disney, you can say the same thing against Universal. I dont see why you need to have a debate on why one is better than the other, other than trying to create controversy, thereby increasing interest in your podcast. I for one, have no interest in it.

Michael72688

I know things need to change there, especially with the credit cards and the vacation people always trying to see you stuff through out the parks, I think that is reaching an all time low. As for the employees I've run into plenty of rude and very unpleasant employees at Disney. So overall both parks have their highs and lows but overall they are all fun.

IOACentralRadio

I have waited in longer lines at Universal for attractions that left me feeling the same way, empty, angry, and frustrated.

Whatever you can say against Disney, you can say the same thing against Universal. I dont see why you need to have a debate on why one is better than the other, other than trying to create controversy, thereby increasing interest in your podcast. I for one, have no interest in it.
Because you CAN say that about each park. Disney folks go on these boards thinking that you can only say that about Universal....it will be nice to hear from both sides. I know, its only disney for you...and you have your reasons, but there are many other people who are, dare I say, brainwashed into thinking that disney is the only vacation destination, and are shocked that Universal does it just as well when they get that one day at Universal. And yes, we are doing this for the podcast which you would NEVER hear on a disney podcast other than just solid complaining on how bad Universal is...that I have heard.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Disney folks go on these boards thinking that you can only say that about Universal....

You obviously need to spend a little more time reviewing some current and past threads here, because we "Disney folks" spend more of our time being critical of the place we love, Disney, than Universal. Why? because we love Disney and want it to continue to be the same magical place for our kids and grandkids that it was for us when were kids, and it is even today.

it will be nice to hear from both sides.
Yes, there are people here who like Universal and I respect that they like it. It is obvious that Universal fills a niche in the market that Disney does not, or it would not continue to be in business. I think this forum is very open to discussions of other parks, if not, would they have a section specifically created for other theme parks? I think not.

So, I hope your podcast goes well. I just hope it does not turn into an ambush of the two volunteers who support Disney. :wave:

IOACentralRadio

I think this forum is very open to discussions of other parks, if not, would they have a section specifically created for other theme parks? I think not.

So, I hope your podcast goes well. I just hope it does not turn into an ambush of the two volunteers who support Disney. :wave:
What a section it is. Most of the people here spend time denouncing those who prefer other parks to disney. No...this is a disney board through and through and even though it has parts dedicated to other parts, they are extremely biased. And yes I've strolled through the rest of the boards..even posted, and disney fans are not happy at all. All the projects that have come around in the past twelve years, and not one has pleased the majority. Everest has come close, but it has fallen way short of those who wanted a major "family" attraction...and they complain. So in short, disney=happiest place on earth. Disney fans.....not the happiest people.
But yes we do have a civil debate planned. Thats why we've gone to other sites seeking people, we want fresh opinions. And if you listen to the podcast this week (BLASPHEMER!!!) you'll see that we are not going to use any of the shows hosts or co-hosts as debaters, I will be the only one involved and I will be the one just asking questions.....a moderator. There will be a coin toss to see who answers first, and after each side states their case there will be one round of rebuttle for each. Ambush? Who do you think we are? Fox News? Fair and balanced indeed.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
What a section it is. Most of the people here spend time denouncing those who prefer other parks to disney. No...this is a disney board through and through and even though it has parts dedicated to other parts, they are extremely biased. And yes I've strolled through the rest of the boards..even posted, and disney fans are not happy at all. All the projects that have come around in the past twelve years, and not one has pleased the majority. Everest has come close, but it has fallen way short of those who wanted a major "family" attraction...and they complain. So in short, disney=happiest place on earth. Disney fans.....not the happiest people.
But yes we do have a civil debate planned. Thats why we've gone to other sites seeking people, we want fresh opinions. And if you listen to the podcast this week (BLASPHEMER!!!) you'll see that we are not going to use any of the shows hosts or co-hosts as debaters, I will be the only one involved and I will be the one just asking questions.....a moderator. There will be a coin toss to see who answers first, and after each side states their case there will be one round of rebuttle for each. Ambush? Who do you think we are? Fox News? Fair and balanced indeed.
This is by no means exclusive to Disney. IMHO is a switch in the general attitudes of people, especially those on the internet. Go on any entertainment discussion board (ie Star Wars, Harry Potter, Star Trek, etc) and you will find the majority of posters are a bunch of unhappy, over critical whiners. It seems that tearing every movie, TV show or attraction apart and pointing out its flaws has become the the in thing to do. People have become so deeply involved with their hobbies that there is no longer any joy in it for them and you know what they say "Misery loves company". For a short time I found myself falling into that vicious downward spiral and had to take a step back and make an attitude adjustment.

kcnole

I'm a fan of both parks. I have noticed way more fans of Disney who bash Universal as being trash just for the simple fact that it's not a Disney park. In fact one person on this board yesterday compared bringing up Universal on the Disney board to talking about dogs humping during thanksgiving dinner. I've seen a few people who hate Disney on the Universal boards but not near the numbers that you have on the Disney boards.

Too many Disney fans are brainwashed into thinking that anything non Disney is horrible and is bad for America. I think those at the podcast are just tired of hearing Universal bashed all day long so they're going to give both sides a chance to state their case and then leave it up to everyone to make up their own minds. I was asked a long time ago to do the podcast, but I don't really fit their demographic. I like Disney a bit more than Universal, but I still love Universal a lot so it would be hard for me to pick a side on the debate. I think I'd be a good moderator of a debate like that but I couldn't just pick one side as both parks have their plusses and both parks have their minuses.

I'm interested in this podcast when it comes out. I hope it doesn't turn into a childish argument of Universal sucks because it's not magical with silly taunts back from the other side. I hope the participants can have a mature debate on the issue. I'm just not 100% sure that'll be possible. I guess it depends on who they pick for participants.

Their podcast is pretty good though. I've only had time to listen to part of one of them, but I was impressed with how well it is done. Give it a listen, you might just learn something.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I for one am not someone who bashes "all but Disney" because "they are not Disney". There are a number of parks I have been to that I have enjoyed that were not Disney. One in particular, Fiesta Texas in San Antonio which is a Six Flags owned park. I have been to and enjoyed Cypress Gardens, Silver Dollar City, and Sea World.

Yes, there are those out there who are tuned soley into Disney. I am probably tuned 95% into Disney simply because I grew up going, I have fond memories of going, have continued to go and enjoy Disney, and have invested in my future vacations at Disney (DVC). That's not to say that if someday, God forbid, that I get bored while at WDW, that I wouldnt hop over to Universal to see what was going on.

IOACentralRadio

I'm a fan of both parks. I have noticed way more fans of Disney who bash Universal as being trash just for the simple fact that it's not a Disney park. In fact one person on this board yesterday compared bringing up Universal on the Disney board to talking about dogs humping during thanksgiving dinner. I've seen a few people who hate Disney on the Universal boards but not near the numbers that you have on the Disney boards.

Too many Disney fans are brainwashed into thinking that anything non Disney is horrible and is bad for America. I think those at the podcast are just tired of hearing Universal bashed all day long so they're going to give both sides a chance to state their case and then leave it up to everyone to make up their own minds. I was asked a long time ago to do the podcast, but I don't really fit their demographic. I like Disney a bit more than Universal, but I still love Universal a lot so it would be hard for me to pick a side on the debate. I think I'd be a good moderator of a debate like that but I couldn't just pick one side as both parks have their plusses and both parks have their minuses.

I'm interested in this podcast when it comes out. I hope it doesn't turn into a childish argument of Universal sucks because it's not magical with silly taunts back from the other side. I hope the participants can have a mature debate on the issue. I'm just not 100% sure that'll be possible. I guess it depends on who they pick for participants.

Their podcast is pretty good though. I've only had time to listen to part of one of them, but I was impressed with how well it is done. Give it a listen, you might just learn something.
Thank you. And yes, you were asked and we really didnt want to go for a nuetral opinion on either side. So yeah the demographic wasnt fit. And the people we have are reall well thought out people...and the questions that are asked will be fairly standard general ones....but whats going to be interesting is the rebuttal. There should be no need for name calling and immaturity...I got plenty of offers from those on THESE boards that are just like that. The people that we have lined up, I feel, are very mature and right for the show. And I think disney will get a fair shake on a Universal show...imagine that happening on a disney show. And not to mention that we are going to be doing shows from disney during the holidays. Our live shows are the real thing to listen to, when we all get together in public....its a spectacle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom