The Age Debate (will they remember it?)!

rufio

Someone brought this up in another thread and it really sparked my interest.

I went to WDW for the first time when I was 20 years old, so there's no way I could NOT remember it. However, my best friend went for the first (and only) time when she was around 3 years old. She has a Minnie hat and a cute little caricature from Main Street USA, but she doesn't remember a thing about it. Similarly, my cousin and her husband have already taken their kids - the oldest one is 9 or 10, but the younger ones are 5 and 2. The 5-year-old might remember something, but no way the then-1-year-old will.

I don't have any children, but I do plan to at some point in the future. DH and I have discussed whether we'll leave our future children with my parents when we go to WDW or whether we'll take them and be that couple on the bus with the screaming toddler.

What are your opinions, whether you have children or not, on if you should take them as babies or wait til they'll remember it?

Weather_Lady

I think the point of taking kids under the age of 4 is so that YOU will have a good time and remember it, not them! If taking a small child and having them with you there (and the extra responsibilities it entails) is worth it to you, by all means do it. If you think you'll enjoy yourself more on your own, don't feel guilty about leaving your baby or toddler with loving family members for a few days while you're away. (This assumes that said baby/toddler has no mental, physical or emotional issues that interfere with their ability to understand and adapt to a different caretaking arrangement.)

Having been both the "baby-leaver" (my son, 10 months, left with my sister while we went on a 6-day trip) and the "toddler-caretaker" (my nephew, 2 years, while my sister took her older child to WDW for 4 days) for vacation purposes, in my experience the kids barely noticed the absence of their parents, had a ball while they were gone getting extra attention from family members, and accepted Mom and Dad back when they returned with no trauma or difficulty. We waited until our youngest was 4 (and potty-trained, and able to walk fairly long distances without requiring a stroller) to take our children on any extended trips, and it's worked out beautifully for us and for them. However, every family is different and I've seen lots of happy trip reports from parents on this board who've taken their infants and toddlers to WDW.

Upvote 0

Gomer

I agree with both previous posters. Remembering is only really important if you are only going once in your lifetime or if you are worried about the "value" of the trip. We took my youngest when he was 11 months. He spoke his first words there, he loved the music and the parades. He had a blast. We have a ton of great memories from that trip. He may not remember it when he is 40, but so what. I wanted to go, my wife wanted to go, and my 7 year old wanted to go.

Now he is 3 and can recite the opening to illuminations, can recognize the background music of the different parks and assign them accordingly, and can tell you keep you hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times in both English and Spanish. I'm a proud pappa. :) So yeah, I think that the indoctrination trips were well worth it even if he won't remember it 20 years from now. They helped shape his love of WDW, which is really useful to me as a parent so I can keep going there. :)

Upvote 0

The Tomorrownaut

I know that one of my grandfather's favorite memories of his entire life is one of watching me as I took my first trip on Small World. Tears nearly come to his eyes when he thinks about me just looking up in wonder at everything around me, and being only 3 at the time, I certainly don't remember that specific moment in time. The fact remains that I was obviously enthralled by the place and in the moment enjoyed every bit of it. I hope you are able to capture WDW's magic with your children in a story like this some time in the future. Isn't that really what it's all about?

Upvote 0

awoogala

We were not sure we'd go more than once, so we waited a bit. We went when my oldest was 7, and my youngest was 3 (turned 4 on the trip). She still remembers that trip at 8.
I think it depends on if it's a once-in-a-childhood trip, or your family plans on going several times. If it was the only time I would be going, I would wait until 4+.
If, like we ended up, you go every year ;), then it's not such a big deal.
My husband went once at 4, and doesn't really remember it. When we took our kids, he fell in love with it all, and we've been lucky enough to go every year since.

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

DH and I have discussed whether we'll leave our future children with my parents when we go to WDW or whether we'll take them and be that couple on the bus with the screaming toddler.

These are not the only two scenarios. My kids were 2 and 4 when we first brought them and neither one was EVER the screaming toddler on the bus. You will see what personalities your kids develop and what your own patience level is as a parent and be able to make that decision when the time comes. If you let your children's tolerance guide your touring plans and absorb the memories for yourselves - it can be an amazing experience.

Upvote 0

Cesar R M

I went to WDW for the first time when I was 20 years old, so there's no way I could NOT remember it. However, my best friend went for the first (and only) time when she was around 3 years old. She has a Minnie hat and a cute little caricature from Main Street USA, but she doesn't remember a thing about it. Similarly, my cousin and her husband have already taken their kids - the oldest one is 9 or 10, but the younger ones are 5 and 2. The 5-year-old might remember something, but no way the then-1-year-old will.

I don't have any children, but I do plan to at some point in the future. DH and I have discussed whether we'll leave our future children with my parents when we go to WDW or whether we'll take them and be that couple on the bus with the screaming toddler.

What are your opinions, whether you have children or not, on if you should take them as babies or wait til they'll remember it?

In my opinion, you need to reinforce their memories by showing them the photos and memoralia.
There is always something that can trigger the whole experience back!

for me it could be just a photo, a video or simple a song!.

Upvote 0

cinderellafan6

My daughter is 19 months. We are leaving for Disney in a week and this will be her 3rd trip. I have been well over 100 times and it was a completly different trip bringing her. Her first time was when she was 6 weeks old. I admit that it was all for me. I love going but her amazement when we took her on IASW, she was in shock. Of course she wont remember it at all but I have plenty of videos and photos to remind here when she gets older. I cant wait to see her face next week when she sees Minnie and Sofia. I'm sure my heart is going to melt as her face lights up and she runs to them.

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

We took our sons at 7 months and had a blast. Any meltdowns were short lived and they got so much out of it at the time. Lots of giggles. While they won't remember it, we will and we can show them videos and pics of their first WDW trip when they are older.

It was so much fun at 7 months that we already have booked trips at 12 months and 16 months. And probably 21 months and their 2nd birthdays! One should never feel guilty bringing kids to WDW, even if they do scream once the whole trip. It's WDW. Anyone who would pass judgment on you is a Scrooge anyway. It's not like you are taking them into a Broadway show or nice restaurant (which most agree would be inappropriate).

Most meltdowns I see are due to unreasonable parents trying to drastically change the kids' schedules (i.e. yes, you usually get a nap at 1 pm but let's skip it today because we have a Fastpass).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MountainMedic'sWife

It always depends on your family. 1. If it's that once in a lifetime trip, waiting until they're a little older is a wise choice. 2. How many children are in the family? We have 4; the oldest is 10 the youngest is 2. If we waited for the very first trip until the youngest was older, than the oldest one would be waiting a long time. 3. I have been 3 times as a child and 4 times as an adult, so not an every year type of thing. I can't remember much from the earlier trips and I was in grade school and high school. So at some point we forget a lot of the memories anyway. I suppose that's the reason for so many pictures. :)

Upvote 0

kfergdisney

My first trip was when I was 5. I do remember pretty much all of the trip. I totally understand wanting to take young kids, but for me, I think it is better to take them where they can remember. For instance, my cousin and cousin-in-law have two kids, 5 and almost 3. My cousin herself has never been to WDW and is so excited to take her kids, but she wants to take them when they can ride more rides and experience pretty much everything. They will be taking them in 2015 (or late 2014). My cousin is so excited about how her kids are going to react and while both kids would love going now, it will mean more to the kids when they are a little older and will be able to remember more. I was even thinking about getting them Mickey ears hats while I am at WDW this year, but I want them to be able to pick those out on their own on their own trip.
But, having said that, to each his own. Of course, I was the child that my parents left with a babysitter while they went to Hawaii. I was 2. I've stilll never been to Hawaii. But, I was 2.

Upvote 0

cfry06

We've taken our son 3x so far with November and February also planned...and he'll only be 3 in Feb! We know he won't remember it, but we will :). We have so many great memories and pictures already! He can't wait to see "the Castle" and "the golf ball" again. The first time we watched Illuminations together he was in awe- then shortly into it he asked to hold my hand. Such a special moment watching together...in DisneyWorld... holding hands - I def had tears! He was a little nervous but was so brave - and then asked to see it again when it was over. Personally, I think our memories are just as great as if he would start to remember. But I can't wait for that too!

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

When it comes to children...unless you're only planning on taking them once during childhood...ensuring they have fun is far more important than focusing on having them remembering any of it.

My younger one had just turned 2 right before her first trip and many people told me things like "just as long as you remember this is for you and not for her, considering her young age." No...it was for her too ...and it floors me that they're incapable of seeing that. Just because she won't remember a bit of it doesn't mean she didn't have a fun experience that was rewarding/beneficial for her. Ultimately, even older kids won't always remember a ton of details. My parents waited until they felt my brother was old enough (6). I was 11...and while I surely remember more than a 2 year old...most of the memories are very fuzzy. Still, I know I had fun...a lot of fun.

Upvote 0

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Before we had kids we swore we would NEVER take then to Disney before they were potty trained. It's about to be my 4th trip with a kid in diapers. We love Disney and love sharing it with our kids.

To me a trip to Disney with a little kid is no different then any other big event you have before they can "remember" Why give a 2 yo a Christmas present, they won't remember. Why have birthday parties? Why go anywhere or do anything special? Every child is different too we took my DD last to WDW at almost 3 she is 4.5 now and still remembers details of the trip that aren't captured on video or in photographs. She will pop out with something I didn't remember until she said it.

At 9 mo (DD) and 11 mo (DS) my two kids could have been at any fun place. They enjoyed it as much as they could. We took DD to DL at 18 mo and she LOVED it! She had a great time met characters, went on ride (Tea Cups were her favorite) and just had a smile on her face all day! At almost 3 she was in heaven at WDW. Now we are ready to take DS (2.5) and DD (4.5) to WDW tomorrow and I know they will both have a great time! And 10 years from now they many not remember it at all but that's okay. I will know they had a great time and got to experience some amazing things!

Upvote 0

DManRightHere

I would not be taking any infants for the opinion that it would be overly difficult. As of not taking young children because I do not think they would remember it, I disagree. They may not remember it, but it could somehow inspire them. I feel like this would be refusing to buy young children toys to play with just because you think they will not remember it. I went when I was 3 and I remember tid bits of information, particularly stuff I really enjoyed as a kid (Ninja Turtles!).

Upvote 0

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

I took my two children from the ages of 14mths and 2 months annually. Never did they scream on a bus, actually bus rides tended to make them fall asleep, same with airplane. My sis always sent her DD to my parents when they traveled for years including her first Christmas. I never left my kids behind, I only traveled without them when they already had plans to be traveling with my sister to some fun destination and they left me behind, then DH and I would make plans for ourselves.

So it depends on what kind of family vacation you desire, one that you spend some quality time with your kid(s) or a vacation to escape your kid(s). It is two different styles of parenting and only you will know what is right for you but you won't know that until your bundles of joy arrive. It is hard for couples to make parenting decisions before they are actually filling those shoes.

Upvote 0

popcenturylover

We took our 2 oldest as teens & our youngest was 9 months old. The older ones wanted to be at the beach & not Disney! Crazy, huh? So, the next trip our youngest was a month shy of 4 & we took just her. This trip in Dec. Our youngest is 5 & we are also bringing our oldest daughter along, with our Grandson who is 1. We can't wait!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom