The 2019 WDWMagical Mystical Tour!

Outbound

Original Poster
WdwMagical.png

Hello there!

The 2019 WDWMagical Mystery Tour is a week-long celebration of collaboration and imagination on the Imagineering Subforum. It's a hybrid of “introduction ritual” and “yearly retrospective”, designed to help introduce new members who may be confused at where to start and reunite creative juices for some of our older members. It was first started by @spacemt354 for the 2018 season. This year, I will be "hosting".... but for this event that actually isn't much. Because the vast majority of the Magical Mystery Tour is collaboration among you.

Some of you may remember last year’s WDWMagicalMystery Tour in your Private Messages, around August. This was just after I had joined, and it really helped make me feel connected to a community. This subforum gives off a very different vibe than most online forums, and the only way to explain that is to show it in action. This year we've decided to go public. I hope this thread helps new members the same way last year’s helped me!

Wdwmagical2.png

Every day will have a specific topic. That topic will always be related to Imagineering. I’ll start us off, but then leave the discussion to you! Ask questions, answer questions, go off topic if you really want, I don't care. This is supposed to be fun, after all!

A YEAR'S RECAP
2019 has seen...
THREE Forum-Wide Competitions!
EIGHT Long-Term Personal Projects!
TWO Active Daily Prompt Threads!
EIGHT New Members Introduce Themselves!

So let’s begin our year's tour with a question I think all of us can answer.

DAY ONE: ALL YOU NEED IS A SPARK
Why are you interested in the Imagineering Forum? What is your favorite part, or what are you most interested in learning? And for those forum veterans, what was your favorite Imagineering Project of 2019?

1575963428765.png

Outbound

Original Poster
As promised I'll start us off.

I don't actually remember when I first found this subforum, but it was a few years before I joined proper. I was content to browse for like a week, then forget about it for a couple of months, and so on. Eventually, I figured might as well join and see what happens. I would say my favorite part of Imagineering thus far has been the creativity, which is a pretty generic answer but you get the gist. I like to imagine theme parks, blue sky with reality a bonus.

On the flip side, I tend to procrastinate on projects without a deadline, so I'd say I'm at my best under the pressure of a competition due date. I'd like to improve on working with larger personal projects efficiently.

My Favorite Projects of 2019:
Click on them to show -
001.JPG
Old Team Warriors made it to 50 messages on their first PM (granted, the last couple pages were us just hyping up crossing 50 on the last day). @James G. did a fantastic job on the "thesis statement" land, @Voxel made a meme realistically work, and I still vividly recall @NateD1226 and I planning out my first fully-detailed attraction.

002.JPG
Team Princes comes out with a bang in the next round, humbling all us warriors with its fantastic presentation. The flipbook has become one of the many presentation options used in imagineering comps today, but we have to remember back then it was entirely new! I forget, who came up with this?

003.png
This was the most fun round. Pi had an idea early on, and we all just went with it. It kinda lost any semblance of normalcy by the end (Bob Iger pitches the poop scouts to Elon, Trump, and Matt Damon) it was really fun.

DisneyPortNoLabels.png
Looking at everything I helped make in SA5, Port Disney is my personal favorite: I love the theme! This was when I first challenged myself to create a map. I had never made anything with this style (Paint 3D) before. So I had to ask for lots of feedback with my team, but I think that actually brought the unity up in that everyone had a much better idea at where everything was. From there everyone focused on their talents and we made a great project.

005.png
Sshhh, don't tell Team Red but this is still my favorite team project from OLS 2. Even though everyone was outdoing themselves in huge projects, this just has a lot of heart and ambiance. It's those small details like exploring all the 70's night clubs that make me feel as if I am really there.

1575968457194.png
A fantastic end of the season for @Imagineer Sroo . I love how you adapted to the fact that WDW has five parks, and gave this park a totally different feel as to warrant its existence. It's much more intimate. The narrative of the land never falls to an IP, for even a large e-ticket - even the biggest rides know their place in the larger story. It seems as if you could just spend the day shopping in one and not get bored!

Voxel

President of Progress City
As promised I'll start us off.

I don't actually remember when I first found this subforum, but it was a few years before I joined proper. I was content to browse for like a week, then forget about it for a couple of months, and so on. Eventually, I figured might as well join and see what happens. I would say my favorite part of Imagineering thus far has been the creativity, which is a pretty generic answer but you get the gist. I like to imagine theme parks, blue sky with reality a bonus.

On the flip side, I tend to procrastinate on projects without a deadline, so I'd say I'm at my best under the pressure of a competition due date. I'd like to improve on working with larger personal projects efficiently.

My Favorite Projects of 2019:
Click on them to show -
View attachment 431993
Old Team Warriors made it to 50 messages on their first PM (granted, the last couple pages were us just hyping up crossing 50 on the last day). @James G. did a fantastic job on the "thesis statement" land, @Voxel made a meme realistically work, and I still vividly recall @NateD1226 and I planning out my first fully-detailed attraction.

View attachment 431994
Team Princes comes out with a bang in the next round, humbling all us warriors with its fantastic presentation. The flipbook has become one of the many presentation options used in imagineering comps today, but we have to remember back then it was entirely new! I forget, who came up with this?

View attachment 431995
This was the most fun round. Pi had an idea early on, and we all just went with it. It kinda lost any semblance of normalcy by the end (Bob Iger pitches the poop scouts to Elon, Trump, and Matt Damon) it was really fun.

View attachment 431997
Looking at everything I helped make in SA5, Port Disney is my personal favorite: I love the theme! This was when I first challenged myself to create a map. I had never made anything with this style (Paint 3D) before. So I had to ask for lots of feedback with my team, but I think that actually brought the unity up in that everyone had a much better idea at where everything was. From there everyone focused on their talents and we made a great project.

View attachment 431998
Sshhh, don't tell Team Red but this is still my favorite team project from OLS 2. Even though everyone was outdoing themselves in huge projects, this just has a lot of heart and ambiance. It's those small details like exploring all the 70's night clubs that make me feel as if I am really there.

View attachment 431999
A fantastic end of the season for @Imagineer Sroo . I love how you adapted to the fact that WDW has five parks, and gave this park a totally different feel as to warrant its existence. It's much more intimate. The narrative of the land never falls to an IP, for even a large e-ticket - even the biggest rides know their place in the larger story. It seems as if you could just spend the day shopping in one and not get bored!
Does these mean I get my title of MEME King now? :p

spacemt354

Chili's
My favorite project of 2019 wasn't a competition submission - but the submissions wouldn't have happened if not for this collaborate effort!

And that's the planning and storytelling of @D Hindley @AceAstro and @kmbmw777 in hosting Season 5 of The Sorcerer's Apprentice!

Each of the prompts flowed together into a cohesive narrative surrounding the villains taking over the Sorcerer's Apprentice Universe - and the 3 of them remained dedicated throughout the process showing off just how far a competition can go in its storytelling!

enhance

From mixing of custom art, to multi-media, to unique never seen before challenges - it was all and all one of the highlights if not the highlight of 2019 for me!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Hi! I'm Pi on my Cake! Most people call me Pi. I briefly worked at WDW at the ice cream shop on Main Street Spring/Summer 2017 and want to go back to working there by the end of 2020.

I started on the forum Fall of 2016. I was doing homework and procrastinating by looking up Disney rumors. Stumbled onto WDWMagic, and then onto the Imagineering forum. The One Sentence Competition was going on and that was a great way for a newbie like me to get involved. I had been a fan of Disney Parks and coming up with ideas of my own since I was really young, then I found this place and found a whole community of people who shared this same passion!!!

My favorite part is that sense of community! A bunch of people all here for the same reasons, having fun together, helping each other grow, challenging each other! It's amazing!! I really want to get better at art and getting outside of my comfort zones that I've built up.

I loved seeing the way @mharrington's Mickey Dark Ride project has evolved over the year! Their passion and dedication to this project and the realism of it without sacrificing the whimsy makes this project really come alive!
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...wonders-feedback-and-critiques-wanted.961383/

View attachment 431995

That was such a fun prompt! And a great example of how a team can really work together well!

The prompt for that round of the game was to design a themed bathroom. I remember I suggested the idea (Half joking) of a poop themed restroom at Planet Watch. Then @PerGronStudio took all their animal and zoology knowledge to make what could've been just a dumb meme into something that could actually work. Then, you took the presentation and took just a simple slideshow and made it something crazy and fun and amazing! Definitely one of my favorites of 2019! #HippoSplatterWall

@MANEATINGWREATH has another incredible take on their amazing dream park concept! This time they went with the idea of an alternate universe where Walt had the means to make Disneyland as grand as he desired!

Beyond those, I loved working on the Light's District, the Bendy and the Ink Machine Horror Nights Maze, and so many other great projects I was honored to be a part of! And how incredible the SA5 Storytelling was! Whoever host that game next have some big shoes to fill! 2019 might not have seen as much activity as some past years, but it was full of some truly amazing and next level ideas, projects, and presentations!

Evilgidgit

Okay, not really all that good at this sort of things, so I'll keep it brief.

This year has been quite the adventure for me -- got my first full-time job in reality, so I have less time to play with armchair imagineering. Still, this year has been a challenging one in terms of thinking outside the imagineering box and leaving my comfort zone. Of course, The Sorcerer's Apprentice was at the heart of this, with each new round testing my creativity (and sanity!), but it allowed me to tackle different things, develop new ideas, and develop my skills.

I got to design an attraction based around technology (the Legoland ride), create an original non-IP land and original attractions for multiple concepts, the Bendy HHN Maze, a semi-successful mall complex, helped designed toilets and Rafiki's Animal Watch (hooray for #HippoSplatterWall), and Shadowlands.

But, my favourite project of the competition (maybe in the year) was strangely tackling Holiday World. I had never imagineered a non Disney park before, so it was quite the interesting experience.

Most of the year, I've been working on my Disneyland Paris expansion project, which will hopefully begin surfacing before the year is out as promised. Next year, I hope to continue imagineering, tackle some more boundaries, and participate in whatever projects are to come!

Miru

Hey! I really liked both Pretoria Disneyland and the prompt-a-day thing we had going on for some time. I’m pretty interested in finding new techniques for ride immersion and transport. My forte here seems to be repairing a lot of Disney’s mistakes, like Dinoland USA and Pixar Pier.

PerGron

Hey friends, I’m PerGronStudio but I mostly just go by PerGron. I’m the forum’s resident animal guy as I’m a zookeeper in real life and try to find some way to interject animals into every prompt I participate in in some way.

I found this subforum in 2016 and posted a few comments here and there but it wasn’t until summer of 2018 when I really decided to jump in with @NateD1226’s Time for A Disney Overhaul Competition, and since then, I’ve been hooked.

Some of my favorite projects I participated have already been mentioned, particularly the Rafiki’s Planet Watch Bathrooms #HippoSplatterWall which allowed me to talk about poop in a professional fashion while still having fun doing it (poop is super interesting).

Another one of my favorites to work on was Team Prince’s redo of Ikspiari for Stanza III in Sorcerer’s Apprentice V. While as a whole the project was, for lack of a better word, a total mess, lacking unity and just being a cluster**** of ideas, it was a lot of fun and also allowed me to shoehorn animals in, with an incredibly detailed (albeit too detailed some have said) aquarium, shown here.

3:30PM - 7:00PM - PIXAR'S FRIENDSHIP BOARDWALK/DINNER (PART 1)
Our group finally made it to the Pixar section of Disney’s Animation Kingdom and came face to face with a towering five-story building. The building was blue and painted with migrating rays of some sort (PerGronStudios says Cownose Rays so we’ll go with that). This was the new Marine Life Institute Aquarium that had just opened and was loosely themed to Finding Dory’s Marine Life Institute. We decided to go check out the massive building, getting to the entrance only to find out that we had to pay to get in.
kELWHEN.jpg

xCiQD8a.jpg

The entrance fees were reasonable, especially for a Disney attraction, costing us ¥3,284 per person, which translates to about $30 US. For children and seniors, the cost is about ¥1,642 or about $15 US, making for a fairly reasonable entrance fee to enter the massive structure. We decided to fork over a little extra as well to take part in one of the exclusive animal encounters, because we’re on vacation, and also, as Space says, “#yolo”.

We picked through the three experiences that the MLI offers, and we’ll present prices here for anyone interested.

The dolphin encounter gets you up close and personal with an Atlantic Bottlenose Dolphin for about an hour experience for approximately ¥21,898 or about $200/person, all ages. The next encounter is the Sea Lion Encounter which gets you up close and personal with a California Sea Lion for about an hour experience for about the same price. However, the selection that we made was the Penguin Encounter, which got us a half hour encounter with two penguins, a Magellanic Penguin and an African Black-Foot Penguin for about ¥10,949 or about $100 US. We made that selection, because, as Brer Oswald says “I think it’s impossible to actually hate penguins,” and everyone agreed.

Anyway, tickets in hand, we entered the massive building into the main atrium (which actually entered us on the second floor of the building. Looking out, you could see a massive tank, a massive whale skeleton hung from the ceiling and in front of the massive tank, a large dolphin pool where the bottlenose dolphins were located for the dolphin encounter. Luckily, there was an electronic sign that read in both English and in Japanese about the different locations in the MLI.

The Main Exhibit was the One Ocean Exhibit which was a six million US gallon aquarium, only slightly larger than the aquarium at the Seas with Nemo in Friends back in Florida. This exhibit was incredibly naturalistic, featuring giant kelp, live rocks, and even corals among other plants and decorations. While going over the entire list of species featured in the One Ocean Exhibit is a bit much, we will highlight some of the standouts.

The Ocean Sunfish (or Mola Mola) was the first sight we saw in the tank, its large and ugly face staring us down as we entered. Also inside the Exhibit, the Green Sea Turtle, Green Moray Eel, Great Barracuda, and Goliath Grouper just to name a few of the 60 individual species featured in the tank.

The great thing about the One Ocean exhibit is its height and width. It extended up all the way to the top of the building so that guests can see the top of the tank at the fifth floor, but also that it allows for a different vantage point no matter where you are in the aquarium. For some of the more stationary animals, such as the Giant Clam, getting to see the tank from different angles and different heights really allowed us to see every animal in the exhibit at one point or another.

We decided to trek through the second floor that we entered on first, heading to the left of the One Ocean Exhibit and down a corridor that hosted paintings of sharks and rays along the walls, into a large open room with another massive aquarium that went right around the room, including over our head. This section was called Shark Lagoon. This two million gallon aquarium hosts a group of different species of sharks and rays, including Blacktip Reef Sharks, Zebra Sharks, and Pelagic Stingrays. Inside the room, there were also some smaller tanks, including a nursery where Leopard shark egg sacks were on display, incubating. There was also a massive touch tank featuring cownose rays and Atlantic stingrays that we could purchase food for to feed, or just pat for free.
25206915420_7ca54250e3_k.jpg

We decided not to purchase any food, but we did really enjoy touching the rays as they swam up to us. Eventually, it was time to say goodbye to the rays and head to the next section.

Continuing down the path, we entered the next section which is on the other side of the One Ocean Exhibit (the walkway loops around it in a horseshoe shape) which was the Coral Reef section of the aquarium. Another final massive aquarium (this one only about 100,000 gallons, housed tons of different coral reef fish species, which made for a gorgeous and vibrant exhibit, featuring animals like Blue Tangs (Dory!), all kinds of Angelfish, and as PerGron excitedly and continuously pointed out, a Dogface Pufferfish. We spent quite a bit of time in this section, but our time for our Penguin Encounter was coming up quickly, so we hurried up the winding staircase to the third floor and entered Penguin Point.

Inside Penguin Point, two pools flanked us on either side, one housing African Blackfoot Penguins and Little Blue Penguins, and the other holding Magellanic Penguins. The pools also had multiple fake rocks and mimicked the stony shores of South America and Africa where these three species can be found.

Rather than spend a lot of time looking at the exhibits, we walked over to the keeper who stood by a podium that read “Penguin Encounters”.

Upon speaking to the keeper, she beckoned us down a short corridor in through a metal door which opened into an area Called the “biosecurity area”. Here, we had to change our shoes into the provided hiking boots as well as put a thin windbreaker over our shirts and thoroughly wash our hands. Our guide, whose name was Han, tried to explain that these were precautions so that we do not enter any deadly foreign bacteria to the penguins causing them to get sick. We say tried to explain because PerGron kept telling us the exact same information before poor Han could.

We then entered the rocky exhibit as Han carried a stainless steel bucket of herring for us to feed the penguins with. When we entered, some of the penguins fled to the water, but a few of them cautiously approached us. Each penguin had a band on its wing that read its serial number and helped the keepers identify each individual. This side had us with African Blackfoot Penguins (the Little Blue Penguins that shared the exhibit wouldn’t come near us) who were incredibly entertaining animals.

The first individual we met was named Khaleesi (apparently all of the Penguin keepers are big Game of Thrones fans as all of the African Blackfoots are named after GoT characters) and she was an incredibly fun interaction, letting us pat her and feed her fish. Meanwhile, Stannis, another African Blackfoot, kept sneaking up behind us and biting our ankles. We got to interact with a few other penguins, until our bucket of fish ran out. As soon as the fish ran out, all of the penguins fled back to the water, and we headed out of the exhibit and changed back into our regular clothes, returning back to the aquarium.

We decided to stick with the fourth floor and entered the exhibit on the other side. A sprawling greenhouse featuring freshwater species. A large electric eel aquarium was exciting as it read the voltage that the eel was putting out at that very moment. Continuing down the pathway, we came across a few other tanks of importance. A large freshwater Angelfish tank which PerGron would not leave until we physically pulled him from it (claiming he had an angelfish tank back at home and wanted to take inspiration to “aquascape it”). We also continued through to see some Red-Tailed Catfish, Arapaima, Red-Bellied Piranha among plenty of others.
25206940170_0fa293e7d3_k.jpg

Working our way up the aquarium to the next floor, we came across a center known as “Nemo’s Kid Zone” where there was a large playground. Despite our best attempts, we were told we were all too large for the playground, so we were turned away, disappointed. However, we were able to play in the Tide Pool Touch Tank where we had sea cucumbers, hermit crabs, horseshoe crabs, and even an octopus. We also located a sign for the Turtle Talk Experience which was akin to Turtle Talk with Crush in Epcot, but in Japanese, so we decided to skip it because of the language barrier.

We then made our way up beside the One Ocean Exhibit and onto the fourth floor. On the fourth floor, there was two exhibits, one on each side, like the other two floors. One one side was the “No Bone Zone” which gave us all a chuckle. Inside, there were plenty of invertebrates, from crabs to octopus to squid and cuttlefish. On the other side though was the more important section, the Alpha Research Base which featured all kinds of research exhibits.

Some of the highlights included the Coral Lab where scientists grew tons of species of coral for the larger aquariums, something we were all fascinated by. There were also breeder tanks for Clownfish and Banggai Cardinalfish, but the coolest exhibit was a large exhibit dedicated to the most venomous species on earth, The Greater Blue-Ringed Octopus, one of only four aquariums in earth to exhibit the species. This tank had a keeper by it at all times, explaining how incredibly dangerous this species was and how even when feeding and cleaning, they can’t open the lid of the tank as octopi are known for escaping, and something this venomous could kill 26 adults with one bite. Instead, they invented a cannon that shoots food down into the enclosure by loading it into a chute and using compressed air to fire it down, therefore eliminating any entrances for the octopus to escape.

We spent quite a while here, but decided to head up to the final floor, and enter the top of the world, which featured the Marine Rescue Center. Here, a large pool had California Sea Lions and Northern Fur Seals, where another hosted Southern Sea Otters, and a final hosted West Indian Manatees. All of these species were rescued by other aquariums and sent to be studied at the Marine Life Institute. Up top you could also look down from the top of the One Ocean Tank, seeing some of the top-dwelling fish as well as keepers and divers that get down into the aquarium to clean it.

We finally decided to take the elevator down to the first floor once again and made our way to the Dolphin Lagoon. As there were encounters going on, we didn’t get to see the dolphins swimming much, but it was still a neat experience. Finally, we looked around to see the Nautilus Restaurant. While we didn’t go down into the restaurant, the menu seemed interesting, with lots of fish, sushi, and a full Raw bar for oysters and other shellfish, all dishes very Japanese-inspired.

With that, it was the end of the Aquarium, which took us close to three hours to experience. We definitely recommend visiting as the entry fee is very reasonable, and even the encounters weren’t too crazily priced. However, dwelling on the aquarium wasn’t what we planned on doing, because we still had more to see!​

I also worked with @Outbound to host One Little Spark Season 2, and although I was certainly the weak link of the two judges, having a busy summer with late nights at the zoo so I couldn’t be as involved as I wanted to be in reviewing, I still learned a lot and had a lot of fun hosting.

Easily the best part of this subforum is the community. You meet and talk to people here who have similar interests in Disney and imagineering, but all have unique perspectives and interests concerning the parts of it, and it’s great to work alongside so many talented and creative individuals.

While 2019 was my first year being a big presence on the boards, I had a great time and I’m looking forward to what’s coming in 2020. especially something something 2/15/20.

NateD1226

My favorite project of 2019 wasn't a competition submission - but the submissions wouldn't have happened if not for this collaborate effort!

And that's the planning and storytelling of @D Hindley @AceAstro and @kmbmw777 in hosting Season 5 of The Sorcerer's Apprentice!

Each of the prompts flowed together into a cohesive narrative surrounding the villains taking over the Sorcerer's Apprentice Universe - and the 3 of them remained dedicated throughout the process showing off just how far a competition can go in its storytelling!

enhance

From mixing of custom art, to multi-media, to unique never seen before challenges - it was all and all one of the highlights if not the highlight of 2019 for me!
But the big question is when are we getting SA6? ;)

Outbound

Original Poster

enhance

Very true! And one thing that I feel often goes unnoticed - the judges' activity. I only picked up on this while running OLS. If the due date was at 12:00 EST, then they post a "congrats teams" message at 12:00 EST. Then all the judges have the time to read through these absurdly long projects starting late night to early morning. And they get the reviews out consistently the day after, and then the next stanza begins.

If I ever judge again, I definitely want to practice something like this.

I found this subforum in 2016 and posted a few comments here and there but it wasn’t until summer of 2018 when I really decided to jump in with @NateD1226’s Time for A Disney Overhaul Competition, and since then, I’ve been hooked.

I remember Time for a Disney Overhaul! That was my first competition too!

To answer, I’m interested in imagineering cause I’m overly creative & like Disney, I don’t really have a online presence so it’s good to talk & share my ideas & listen to other people’s ideas, & I just want to be as good as some of the people & projects shown here.

The best way to improve is by sharing your ideas and listening to others, so you're on the right track! ;)

But the big question is when are we getting SA6? ;)

I think something's happening on Day Six... not sure what it's about, though...

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
To answer, I’m interested in imagineering cause I’m overly creative & like Disney, I don’t really have a online presence so it’s good to talk & share my ideas & listen to other people’s ideas, & I just want to be as good as some of the people & projects shown here.
The biggest key is to just keep trying new things and keep doing stuff! When I started here I could do a simple, short write up and a rough pencil sketch at most. Now, 3 years later, I've written essays, composed songs, ran competitions, done Photoshop art, digital art, paper drawings, made videos, designed websites, done vlogs in the disney parks about the forum, cohosted livestreams, and all kinds of other stuff! Granted, half of that has sucked, but half of it didn't!

Point is, I just started trying new stuff and started joining all the games I had time to play and started getting better and then I just never stopped. And I've had a blast doing it!

Flippin'Flounder

Hey guys! It's been a bit since I've been around here, so I figured I'd pop in to say hi! So to those of you who don't know me, I'm Flippin', and I started Imagineering on the forum about five years ago I think. I've been looking through old PMs from TSI 2 and the House Cup and realized how much I missed you guys. It's been almost four years since I've really done anything here, since starting high school I haven't had nearly as much time. But I'm almost done with that now! And next year I'm gonna be at UCF (I'm sure you all will appreciate how close that is to Disney than most of my friends will) So anyway, expect to see me around a bit more, maybe I'll join a competition if I have some extra time :)

Sam Magic

So for those who don't know me yet, I'm the resident old-timer, Sam. I've been here for around 7 years now and I have watched this forum grow and change so much. I vaguely remember how I came across this forum; I'd been directed to different rumor threads here from InsidetheMagic (before they became absolute shills for the WDC), while reading the rumor forums I found my way onto the Imagineering subforum. I remember being gobsmacked there were other people who created Disney park plans like myself and so that's what convinced me to join. Back in those long-gone days of 2012, when Mitt Romney was a Fascist and Obama a Communist, this sub-forum wasn't too active. There were maybe three or four folks that consistently posted--nothing like the huge community that exists now.

I participated in my first contest that Fall along with a member that would at times become a foe; jdmdisney. I didn't win but that next spring (Spring 2013) another long-gone member hosted the only long-form contest on this forum I've ever actually won. I believe that's around the time Sorcerers Apprentice launched its first season and this forum was off to the races. Legends like Monorailred, Voxel, Englanddg, etc. were really active then and over the next few years, we held awesome contests and really built this forum into something amazing. There were fights between myself and jdm (no point in rehashing them), but even those taught me great lessons.

I grew up on this forum. Because of the technical skills required by these contests I learned video-editing, graphic design, and improved my writing; skills that have helped me so much in college and my career. I made great friends and have even greater memories. I believe there are two realities; the tertiary reality and the digital reality. The tertiary reality is what you and I physical experience; your family, school, job, etc. The digital reality is obviously things like these forums and social media. In my opinion, what makes social media awful is that it is too closely tied to your tertiary experience/world. What makes places like this shine is that you are free from any tertiary limitations; race, creed, sex, whatever. You can create and share what you make without having to associate it with whoever you are offline. You have anonymity. When it comes to artistic creation, I find that to be a tremendous gift. That is why I treasure this subforum. I can create and be another side of myself that because of my work I can't always express (I work in politics).

This forum helped shape me into the person I am today and every time I come back, there are always old and new faces here to welcome me. I could go on for a few more paragraphs, talking about the old days, but there are more questions to answer! With that said, my favorite project this year was perhaps my Babylon Berlin project for OLS 2. Outbound gave me the space to create something totally off the walls and it was a challenge! It also allowed me to pay a bit of homage to my college thesis work (Nazi architecture/aesthetics [how they were used to corrupt and add legitimacy to something wicked] and American Urban Planning [how it sucks, but used to be good]). That project was a bunch of fun.

A project I've been working on for a very long time is my Alternate History project. I still need to finish up work on it. We'll see if I can do more in 2020.

Outbound

Original Poster
DAY TWO: GETTIN' THINGS DONE
Onwards to Day Two! Today is all about appreciating some of the larger projects of this year - and learning from them! Of all the days, I think this is the one I could learn the most from (procrastination, yayy!).

How do you get through "The Grind"? Any tips? Any great examples (favorite personal projects)?
source.gif

Last edited:

Outbound

Original Poster
I'm most on top of things when there is someone else involved. They don't even have to do anything, just their presence is usually enough for me to realize I need to get a plan.

With that said, now I want to talk about...

These guys are masters at getting stuff done - all by themselves. They've each had truly massive visions and over several months have put forth consistent effort to get it done. They are Mirror Disneyland - An Alternate History, Walt Disney World: New Horizons, and Disney Down Under, Take 2: My Second Attempt at a Dream Disney Resort.

1576047204096.png
1576047211329.png

1576047229692.png

First off, I want to congratulate you guys on a spectacular year. You've demonstrated consistent imagineering skills in your personal projects. Second, I have to ask: How do you do it? Do you have a schedule, or do you write whenever? And what's your favorite part of working through "the grind"?

And everyone else, feel free to share your opinions on either their works or another great project I've forgotten!

Voxel

President of Progress City
The biggest key is to just keep trying new things and keep doing stuff! When I started here I could do a simple, short write up and a rough pencil sketch at most. Now, 3 years later, I've written essays, composed songs, ran competitions, done Photoshop art, digital art, paper drawings, made videos, designed websites, done vlogs in the disney parks about the forum, cohosted livestreams, and all kinds of other stuff! Granted, half of that has sucked, but half of it didn't!

Point is, I just started trying new stuff and started joining all the games I had time to play and started getting better and then I just never stopped. And I've had a blast doing it!
I couldn't say this better my self. You learn so much by these competitions and forums. You learn by picking up and trying it, but you learn from everyone around you. I believe we have all probably learned something from eachother and I've become good friends with a few of you. Heck I'm meets a few of the people from the forum in the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom