That New Poppins Song You’ll Hear in Every Park Show From Now On

Rich T

Original Poster
You know it’s coming. “Trip a Little Light Fantastic” (you can hear it on YouTube) from Mary Poppins Returns is a great song. A really great song. But the first time I heard it I suddenly realized what a perfect light-the-night fireworks song it is—both lyrically and tempo-wise—and then it hit me: “Oh No!!!!! The parks will drive this song into the ground by putting it in every night time entertainment for the next 30 years!!!” Let It Go, Under the Sea and Be Our Guest just got some company. Enjoy the new song’s freshness and novelty while you can. :D

It really is a great song, though! :)

Rich T

Original Poster
Why can't they just play "A place called Slaughter Race" instead? It's a princess song.
But “Trip a Little Light Fantastic” is literally about lighting the darkness with fire...
...in a park
...while dancing
...and enjoying your work
...and never giving up
...while playing with nonsense words
I’ve never heard one song hit so many checkpoints: It’s The Perfect Disney Park Show Song! I’d be cynical about its possible intention as such... but it’s so catchy!!!! :D

Rich T

Original Poster
I literally thought the same thing after hearing it for the first time. I thought to myself, they would put this song in a firework show.
Seriously, I can just picture the shells exploding in time to the lyrics! :D
...and it would be hilarious if they keep these way-too-DL-appropriate lines:
“Say you’re lost in the crowd
Well, you can stamp and scream out loud” :D

Phroobar

"The Place Where Lost Things Go" sounds like a great title for a horror movie.

wherethelostthingsgo_cover.jpg

Rich T

Original Poster
Good stuff... there's also a second slower song out called "The Place Where Lost Things Go."

I'm rooting for them on this, hope they hit it out of the park. Looking promising so far!

I’m very impressed by how closely the song arrangements match the original movie’s particular style of orchestration. I’m suddenly way more optimistic about this sequel.

Californian Elitist

Seriously, I can just picture the shells exploding in time to the lyrics! :D
...and it would be hilarious if they keep these way-too-DL-appropriate lines:
“Say you’re lost in the crowd
Well, you can stamp and scream out loud” :D

Lol Yep. I think the parts of the song where there are no lyrics and just music are prime for a firework show. Or even Main Street. I can definitely see Disney including this in Main Street’s loop.

TP2000

Not to be a downer, but...

Where they really still using hand-fired gas lights in London in the 1930's? Especially in upper-middle class neighborhoods like Cherry Tree Lane? It would seem to me they would have switched over to electric streetlights around the 1920's in London.

I'm going to do some research on this rainy afternoon....

VJ

You know it’s coming. “Trip a Little Light Fantastic” (you can hear it on YouTube) from Mary Poppins Returns is a great song. A really great song. But the first time I heard it I suddenly realized what a perfect light-the-night fireworks song it is—both lyrically and tempo-wise—and then it hit me: “Oh No!!!!! The parks will drive this song into the ground by putting it in every night time entertainment for the next 30 years!!!” Let It Go, Under the Sea and Be Our Guest just got some company. Enjoy the new song’s freshness and novelty while you can. :D

Can You Imagine That is also a song made for Disney shows, especially something like Disneyland Forever or World of Color.

Rich T

Original Poster

Where they really still using hand-fired gas lights in London in the 1930's? Especially in upper-middle class neighborhoods like Cherry Tree Lane? It would seem to me they would have switched over to electric streetlights around the 1920's in London.

That thought occurred to me, too. :D Maybe Admiral Boom (who must be a hundred years old at least) had enough clout to ban newfangled streetlights from his side of London. :D

VJ

One more thought on the soundtrack, I wouldn't be opposed at all if a re-orchestrated "A Cover Is Not the Book" was added to the Main Street area loop eventually. Has that same sorta feel.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Given that there are still something like 1500 gas streetlamps in London, I would suspect (but don't know for sure) they continued to use them late into the 30s and early 40s. Especially during the Blitz with the Blackout and after when electricity wasn't readily available across most of London until like 1945.

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

you forgot to add “a whole new world” and “friend like me”. in the list of overused somgs in park entertainment

dweezil78

Given that there are still something like 1500 gas streetlamps in London, I would suspect (but don't know for sure) they continued to use them late into the 30s and early 40s. Especially during the Blitz with the Blackout and after when electricity wasn't readily available across most of London until like 1945.

Or they just thought it looked cool in a semi-fantasy world where people jump into cartoons, launch into highly choreographed song and dance routines for seemingly no reason, and there are nannys capable of flying around on umbrellas and other inexplicable magic.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Or they just thought it looked cool in a semi-fantasy world where people jump into cartoons, launch into highly choreographed song and dance routines for seemingly no reason, and there are nannys capable of flying around on umbrellas and other inexplicable magic.

Not sure why you quoted me as I'm not the one who questioned why there were gas streetlamps in a Disney movie set in the 1930s.

VJ

And now you all can listen to the soundtrack for yourself!

Can You Imagine That?, A Cover Is Not the Book, Trip A Little Light Fantastic and Nowhere To Go But Up are my favorites.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom