Test track broke while we were on it!

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Ok, it happened to us! What a blast! We were on the final curve after the long straightaway when our car came to a screeching halt. (This was on Thursday, May 29) We came to an abrupt stop with burning rubber and smoke all around the car. We were hanging at a steep angle laughing and listening to the recorded announcement about the problem and to remain seated in your car. Well, we had no choice as unbuckling would have sent us tumbling. It was uncomfortable but we had a good laugh about it. A technician came to our car, checked on us then looked around the car. He lifted the front hood and looked under there for a bit then lowered it and called to someone on his walkie talkie. After a few more minutes had passed, we slowly proceeded forward as he walked along beside our car. When we got back in the building, they took us out of the car, removed the crippled car and let us reboard another one for another trip around. The CM's joked that the problem must have been because I was wearing a Universal Studios t-shirt. Another fun adventure at Epcot.
Ricky

General Grizz

Breakdowns are never uncommon at Test Track...it's extremely sensitive.

The second time we rode it (last December), we were stuck for about 15 minutes. The couple behind our party were pretty fed up...I explained, "Don't worry...you were lucky. Sometimes you could be stuck in here like this for over 45 minutes!" :lol:

I'm glad you enjoyed yours though...

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
Breakdowns are never uncommon at Test Track...it's extremely sensitive.

The second time we rode it (last December), we were stuck for about 15 minutes. The couple behind our party were pretty fed up...I explained, "Don't worry...you were lucky. Sometimes you could be stuck in here like this for over 45 minutes!" :lol:

I'm glad you enjoyed yours though...

Hey, at least they didn't build an automobile ride that goes up to 65 miles per hour with no safety controls at all.

But then again, I guess they didn't need to because most of us have that ride in our drive way.

Monorail Lime

Fast Track is a "better safe than sorry" type of ride like Tower of Terror. I don't know any specific numbers but I once heard that only about 20% of the emergency shutdowns are caused by a real problem and even then it's almost never something that would threaten guest safety.

I've been stuck on Test Track before (though I tempted fate by riding it every day for a couple of weeks) and my experience was similar to yours. I'm glad to hear they are still taking safety seriously in this time of cutbacks.

General Grizz

Yup...it shows Disney's #1 Key to the Kingdom: SAFETY. It would probably have been better of them to just get rid of the WOM pavilion all together and start anew... the pavilion is now nearly 21 years old.

Kenan

Originally posted by epcotisbest
Ok, it happened to us! What a blast! We were on the final curve after the long straightaway when our car came to a screeching halt. (This was on Thursday, May 29) We came to an abrupt stop with burning rubber and smoke all around the car. We were hanging at a steep angle laughing and listening to the recorded announcement about the problem and to remain seated in your car. Well, we had no choice as unbuckling would have sent us tumbling. It was uncomfortable but we had a good laugh about it. A technician came to our car, checked on us then looked around the car. He lifted the front hood and looked under there for a bit then lowered it and called to someone on his walkie talkie. After a few more minutes had passed, we slowly proceeded forward as he walked along beside our car. When we got back in the building, they took us out of the car, removed the crippled car and let us reboard another one for another trip around. The CM's joked that the problem must have been because I was wearing a Universal Studios t-shirt. Another fun adventure at Epcot.
Ricky

At anytime that this does happen, please do remain seated. The only time the seatbelt would actually come off is if there is no power going into the cars. Otherwise, them seatbelts are tight. This is not an uncommon occurance. Iv'e even gotten stuck outside once, hanging and dangling. It was quite fun, remember you did that J?

foxfire

I had my share of TT breakdowns too. During the soft opening we got stuck right before the crash test, and the lights came on. Fortunately they didn't have to re-boot the system and we were on our way.

Last time I was there we got stuck behind a bad car right after leaving the loading area. It happens, but oh well.

pinkrose

We were stuck in that same place on Wed. May 28th. :lol: It was uncomfortable. We were laughing and waving at the people looking up at us. We finally took off (not slowly either) without notice. They put us in another car when we got back and gave us another ride. That was my dad's first time on TT and I can't tell you hpw many times he went back on it that day. lol He loved that ride!

ucf disneyfan

Originally posted by Monorail Lime
Fast Track is a "better safe than sorry" type of ride like Tower of Terror. I don't know any specific numbers but I once heard that only about 20% of the emergency shutdowns are caused by a real problem and even then it's almost never something that would threaten guest safety.

I've been stuck on Test Track before (though I tempted fate by riding it every day for a couple of weeks) and my experience was similar to yours. I'm glad to hear they are still taking safety seriously in this time of cutbacks.

Most of the time when a Disney ride breaks down its for safety reasons. Now that I work on a Disney attraction I feel safer than ever. The computer systems they have running the rides are alot smarter than people think. That's why CM's get mad when guests start yelling at them because the ride broke down. People should feel relieved when it breaks down, it's just an indication that Disney cares about them. Last week we broke down and I had a family screaming at me telling me that they wanted me to get Disney to buy their whole family a free dinner. The mother of the family then told me that "rides shouldn't break down!". The first thing I tell people when we break down is that theres nothing major wrong, but the computer would rather be safe than sorry. So the next time you're on a Disney ride and it breaks down just take a second to think about how much Disney cares.

SpongeScott

Originally posted by ucf disneyfan
I had a family screaming at me telling me that they wanted me to get Disney to buy their whole family a free dinner. The mother of the family then told me that "rides shouldn't break down!"
1. There will always be people who want/expect something for nothing.

2. There will always be people who need to wake up to reality.

3. We must eliminate these people from the human race.

MsSnuzi

Originally posted by sandjhooker
1. There will always be people who want/expect something for nothing.

2. There will always be people who need to wake up to reality.

3. We must eliminate these people from the human race.
So true, So true!

MicBat

I would much rather go on a ride that breaks down all the time for safety reasons than one that never breaks down. Although I've never been on it when it broke down, I've been in line plenty of times!!

BTW... A Universal shirt at WDW?!?! :animwink:

TheOneVader

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
Yup...it shows Disney's #1 Key to the Kingdom: SAFETY. It would probably have been better of them to just get rid of the WOM pavilion all together and start anew... the pavilion is now nearly 21 years old.

Just because the building is 21 years old doesn't affect the ride. It's only the building that's old, th whole ride is brand new.

And one time it broke down on us. We were right before the advasive maneaouver (sp?). The recording was saying "your vehicle will begin moving shortly" but we were alreayd moving very slowly for soem reason.

wild01ride

Think about it- those carnival rides with all the janky old parts never break down , they just break catastrohically killing everyone riding!:lol:

Dayma

OK I myself would NOT be happy if the ride broke while we were on a banking. Thats got to be friging weird....

WDW John

Originally posted by TheOneVader
Just because the building is 21 years old doesn't affect the ride. It's only the building that's old, th whole ride is brand new.

Yeah, I agree. Last year we did some extensive remodeling to our house. It was much cheaper to remodel than rebuild. Our house was built in the 50's (!), so, should we have just torn it down and started over? I think not.

Firewolfe51

Hey, Test Track always breaks down on us, but it is when we are in line. That moves a lot of people out from in front of you, because they think it is going to take forever to fix! The past three times we have been, twice the ride broke down while we were in line, it took less than ten minutes to get things going again. LOL, if those folks only knew. Oh well, closer to the front we go!!!:)

wbboy29

I have been on the Track more times than I can count. If I guessed I would say probably around 500 times in the last year, and it has never broaken down on me. I mean sure it has Zone Stopped a few times inside the biulding but it has never gone 101 or even stopped, while I was on teardrop, staightaway, or victory. I have always wondered what it must be like to be going around victory and have it Zone Stop or break down. It must be a rush. To be going from 65mph to 0 in a matter of seconds, that has got to be crazy. Test Track really does not break down that much, it may have a temporary technical difficulty but it really doesn't fully break down as often as it used too. Trust me, I should know.:D

Nansafan

June 2002 was the year of the "break down" for us. We were on Buzz when it stopped 3 times and then a CM came, unlocked our ship and walked everyone off the ride. Dinosaur broke down while we were on it, all the lights came on and we spent app. 5 minutes looking at the attraction with the lights on. This was in the spot where they take your picture. Then we rode Test Track. While in line we were moving quite well. We were the next group to go to the pre-show when it was announced that due there would be a delay. We decided to wait it out and sat on the floor. After about 15-20 we entered pre-show. Everything was great. At the end of the ride it stopped, we were 6 cars from getting off. Due to inclement weather, (it started pouring) the ride was stopped and all the cars were taken inside. A CM came to our car, helped us exit and gave us a "first-in-line" pass for another ride. Very cool. Finally the full moon passed and we did not experience a break down for the rest of our trip.

General Grizz

Originally posted by WDW John
Yeah, I agree. Last year we did some extensive remodeling to our house. It was much cheaper to remodel than rebuild. Our house was built in the 50's (!), so, should we have just torn it down and started over? I think not.

Yeah, but you didn't install a 64 mph car ride! :lol: I was just suggesting the fact; there would be more to work with and less accomodating. It just freaks me out every time I see those track supporters that hold up the track surrounding the old WOM show building wobble when the cars zoom by (although is not a dangerous thing).

In the words of Strong Bad, "That doesn't deserve a trophy. That doesn't even deserve a pizza!" :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom