Terrified of Marathon week and FP issues

999doombuggies

So we have our big Disney family vacation coming up from Jan 4 - Jan 12. I am worried about Marathon week crowds. I have noticed an uptick in Disney traffic from the year prior for most any dates and I imagine Marathon weekend can be scaryish. We're a commando family and staying offsite (pts for hotels) and I do not want Marathon compounded with this terrible mess of a FP system to hinder our chance to ride a trillion rides each day.

Anyone have an idea of what type of crowd and subsequently wait times we will find during Marathon week? Also, is double dipping of fast passes a thing of the past now?
Thanks

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Double dipping is still taking place at Epcot, MK and Studios.

Marathon weekend brings some road closures during the event, and an increase in guests, but it still does not put the parks at a very crowded level.

I would not worry.

Upvote 0

CinderellyKelly

We go every year around the marathon, either the week leading up to or the week after. The marathon runners are there to run, and aren't really focused on rides that weekend and most just come in for the race. The 4th-6th will be busier than the rest of your week just because of new year/Christmas vacations wrapping up. So plan accordingly those days and make use of rope drop to ride the most attractions with little wait.

Have a great trip!!!!!

Upvote 0

AEfx

It's a great week to go. And considering that the parks are apparently not nearly as packed with Xmas crowds as usual, you should be fine.

Don't worry so much, you sound like you are a few steps ahead to begin with. Be walking through those gates when they open, and you'll be ahead of 90% of everyone else. Particularly since you are there until the 12th, you will see any crowds diminish considerably by then. Don't fall for the "death by numbers" thing - it's easy to get so wrapped up in it that you give yourself an ulcer beforehand, and it's all worrying for nothing you will find.

Upvote 0

luv

I've never thought the marathon "crowds" were anything to worry about. The only issue I've ever had is with traffic on race day, but even that isn't too terrible. Just leave yourself some extra time.

If you're offsite, you won't have a Magic Band and can't double dip. As of now, there are still paper FPs in all the parks except the AK. :)

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

The biggest issues related to Marathon Weekend are early morning travel/reservations on Saturday, and the same, plus a bit on Sunday. Saturday will primarily affect early morning at the MK, especially if you have a 7AM reservation for a tour or dining. But the runners are well clear of MK by park open, and will only cause minor issues at Epcot right around park open. (assuming the last corral starts by about 6:30 w/3 1/2 hr limit) Sunday, the same issues with early reservations will apply at MK, and then road closures will continue til about 1 when the last runners finish. AK, DHS, and Epcot will all be open to guests while runners are going through, but we will be fairly spread out at that time. Pay attention to marking on the walkways and CMs directions, stepping out in front of a runner who can't stop will ruin both your day, and theirs. But the crowds will mostly be at the resorts and the resort dining locations. The bump in crowds at the park will be negligible, for the fact there are 60k+ runners registered. Just allow for extra time if you have early morning plans Sat/Sun, especially in the MK area.

Upvote 0

disney4life2008

Actually post NY crowd levels are not bad even during marathon. I have found that many of the runners may go to a single park but in no way does it increase crowd levels. You can expect great weather and moderate to low waits.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom