Temple of the Brown Box-Asian Street Eats

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
I was going to put this into the DTD thread, but the "modifications" that have been made to the Rainforest Cafe Exterior are well... interesting. Take a look (Pictures from Ratchat).
RAIN.jpg
RAIN@.jpg

Darkbeer1

Walked by it a couple of times on Friday, clearly a Food Truck. Asian Street Eats operated by Earl of Sandwiches will be in the location.

As for Rainforest, they removed everything from the interior, so very expensive to return, and Disney wants a lot to lease the space, same issue with ESPNZone. Too big for most interested in a lease.

choco choco

I literally see no reason for Downtown Disney to exist anymore. When it was built, it could be argued that it was attempting to be a commercial hangout for tourists and locals alike, and there was an attempt in those early years to populate the place with shops and eateries that were unique.

But it has never done well. Almost immediately the unique offerings gave way to more generic stuff until eventually it became the, "generic stuff but at really high luxury prices" it is today; and with all the other commercial spots Anaheim has built up over the years (Downtown/Packing District, Gardenwalk, the planned Platinum Triangle areas around two stadia), Downtown Disney ceases to matter even further. Just knock it down for theme park space.

Animaniac93-98

Just knock it down for theme park space.

Better yet, turn it into a real park with trees, benches and nice looking places for people to eat their picnics, smoke or whatever else.

A place people would want to spend time in and relax away from the park and hotel pool crowds.

Look at the walking path from HKDL Hotel to the park, or Fantasia Gardens at DLP. I want something like that.

mandelbrot

I literally see no reason for Downtown Disney to exist anymore. When it was built, it could be argued that it was attempting to be a commercial hangout for tourists and locals alike, and there was an attempt in those early years to populate the place with shops and eateries that were unique.

But it has never done well. Almost immediately the unique offerings gave way to more generic stuff until eventually it became the, "generic stuff but at really high luxury prices" it is today; and with all the other commercial spots Anaheim has built up over the years (Downtown/Packing District, Gardenwalk, the planned Platinum Triangle areas around two stadia), Downtown Disney ceases to matter even further. Just knock it down for theme park space.
Downtown Disney has never done well? Just because you may not like what's there (have you tried all the restaurants?) doesn't mean it isn't wildly popular. Disney seriously screwed up by closing successful locations down for the doomed hotel project but there are big changes coming that will make DtD even better for those countless people who enjoy the place.

hyperminimalism

Downtown Disney has never done well? Just because you may not like what's there (have you tried all the restaurants?) doesn't mean it isn't wildly popular. Disney seriously screwed up by closing successful locations down for the doomed hotel project but there are big changes coming that will make DtD even better for those countless people who enjoy the place.
Yeah, they screwed up, but I recall how much flack RFC got for being terrible, pre-packaged food cooked in a microwave and a cheesy dining experience, so...no loss there? Not sure about ESPN Zone as I didn't go there myself and had no reason to, so I don't really think it's all that much of a loss. It seems like the loss of the theater was much more devastating than the two restaurants.

Darkbeer1

In the Disney Exec's eyes, yes, Downtown Disney has been a failure since day 1 and has not delivered near what they wanted/expected. Even after multiple adjustments to the targeted market. Even World of Disney didn't hit the mark. For some reason, they expected folks to come and buy overpriced theme park merchandise without visiting the actual parks.

As for successful location, there have been very few. Many stayed due to they were locked into long term leases. Most businesses just broke even if they were lucky, and stayed for the exposure. The ones with the best success, Wetzel's Pretzels and Earl of Sandwiches. La Brea Bakery also have done well. The Patina Group has gone through ups and downs. Disney re-did their leases to lower their costs, and the restaurant group has tweaked its offerings multiple times to help bring in business. But they have admitted they did not achieve the expected returns.

Darkbeer1

Yeah, they screwed up, but I recall how much flack RFC got for being terrible, pre-packaged food cooked in a microwave and a cheesy dining experience, so...no loss there? Not sure about ESPN Zone as I didn't go there myself and had no reason to, so I don't really think it's all that much of a loss. It seems like the loss of the theater was much more devastating than the two restaurants.

ESPNZone as a concept failed. Disney operated the DtD as a Place Filler, as no one was willing to lease out the building.

The AMC Theaters wanted out big time, but their lease prevented it. Never hit the ticket sales they wanted, as parking issues, and failure of locals to visit DtD if not an AP holder. It did not draw any new business to the Shoppertainment Mall.

DtD is now a place for Hotel and Park Guests, nothing more. So not bringing in "new" money.

Darkbeer1

@Darkbeer1 , Are there plans to greatly improve the place? When will we be wowed?

None. Disney is trying to find companies willing to pay their high lease rates, without success.

There was a plan for West of Disneyland Drive as part of the 4th Hotel Project, but that died due to the same political reasons why the 4th Hotel was killed. Disney feels comfortable with DtD east of Disneyland Drive, and just trying to keep the area fully leased. Of course, like any other operator of a Shopping Mall, worried about more retailers going out of business.

choco choco

It's not my opinion of the place that makes me pass such judgement. This "wildly popular" mall has had constant turnover in its shops for its entire existence, which is like the number one sign of a failing mall. Darkbeer has already outlined how the few that have stayed (and they have been very few) are the large corporations (Like Patina Group or AMC) that somehow can afford to consistently lose money on the place. How often do you go? Do you remember they had a shop which exclusively sold merchandise featuring babies in costumes? I can't believe someone thought a shop like that would seriously make money.

How is me trying the restaurants a prerequisite for saying whether Downtown Disney does well or not? In general, I do not find the Patina Groups food or restaurants palatable (they are conservative and bland to the extreme) and I don't understand how Disney thought it would be a good idea to lease 90% or whatever of their restaurant space to one group.

Mouse Trap

It's not my opinion of the place that makes me pass such judgement. This "wildly popular" mall has had constant turnover in its shops for its entire existence, which is like the number one sign of a failing mall. Darkbeer has already outlined how the few that have stayed (and they have been very few) are the large corporations (Like Patina Group or AMC) that somehow can afford to consistently lose money on the place. How often do you go? Do you remember they had a shop which exclusively sold merchandise featuring babies in costumes? I can't believe someone thought a shop like that would seriously make money.

How is me trying the restaurants a prerequisite for saying whether Downtown Disney does well or not? In general, I do not find the Patina Groups food or restaurants palatable (they are conservative and bland to the extreme) and I don't understand how Disney thought it would be a good idea to lease 90% or whatever of their restaurant space to one group.

You're describing about every traditional mall in existence right now. If you're not going to Disneyland then DTD is a traditional mall where you have to pay to park. DTD is basically an airport shopping mall. Pay for the exposure and maybe break-even on the people who are there to ultimately experience something else.

shambolicdefending

DTD is basically an airport shopping mall.
I think you touch on an important point.

To me, DTD has never felt like an extension of the parks (what the hotels at least try to be). There's not really a lot of "Disney" in it. The atmosphere (dare I say, theming) doesn't flow at all with the rest of the resort. I really can't think of a single thing that makes it any better or any different than the average high-end shopping and dining district somewhere else. Which means, unless you're already at Disneyland or already live fairly close, you're probably not going to visit it.

What could/should Disney do to make it more appealing to more people? Not sure there's a great answer.

Mac Tonight

I think you touch on an important point.

To me, DTD has never felt like an extension of the parks (what the hotels at least try to be). There's not really a lot of "Disney" in it. The atmosphere (dare I say, theming) doesn't flow at all with the rest of the resort. I really can't think of a single thing that makes it any better or any different than the average high-end shopping and dining district somewhere else. Which means, unless you're already at Disneyland or already live fairly close, you're probably not going to visit it.

What could/should Disney do to make it more appealing to more people? Not sure there's a great answer.
You're absolutely right. There is no "Disney" feel apart from some music and designed topiaries. For my money, they should take the Pleasure Island approach from Florida (pre-Disney Springs) and include themed experiences people actually might want to do that they can't in the parks, like a dancing club, comedy club, and more themed nightclubs like the Adventurer's Club.

Did I use the word "club" enough?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom