Tell me this trip makes sense and isn't (too) crazy

COrunner

Okay hear me out,

My whole family usually plans a 'big' trip together every few years and over the holidays my sister had mentioned Tokyo. We have all agreed more of less for budgeting and planning that we would look at a 6-7 day trip around Tokyo including Tokyo Disney and Disney Sea in the Summer of 2021. So I have some time on my hands. I was putting together my plan as they are in CO and I'm in OH so just looking at getting myself, DD, DW(3 total). When I was initially looking over the travel it wasn't very good (most Air Canada layovers and about $1700/flight/person). I ran the idea by a friend who pointed out I should just focus on getting out west a day before the flight to Japan and sure enough, I can go Southwest to LAX on points and flights to/from LAX-Narita brought the cost down to $650. I thought about it might be fun instead of flying to LAX and staying at a hotel overnight before that flight, to instead fly to Santa Ana, do a Disney day. The points flight out didn't change much and would be a fun story of 'Disneyland then Tokyo Disney then Disney Sea'. WELL, that has since morphed into this idea:

WHAT IF

(There are no hard dates set so for ease I'll use generic summer days)

Instead of flying to Santa Ana on June 3, Disneyland June 4, Then potentially meeting up with family to fly outta LAX on June 5.

I do another points flight to MCO?

So it would be fly OH to Orlando on June 1, Disney World June 2, fly Orlando to Santa Ana June 3, Disneyland June 4, then potentially meet up with family at LAX to fly June 5.

We usually do a Disney Halloween trip so doing this would be in place of that, also just the single(or maybe 2 days) at either location is fine as we wouldn't be attempting to see everything, just hit some of our highlights, kind of doing it for the story/photos. All seasoned travelers so the to/from/flying wouldn't be a huge bother.

I know there are potential drawbacks (delays/cancelations) but have kind of thought through that we do have park days which if lost would suck but ultimately wouldn't ruin the big trip.

I'm open to thoughts and ideas (outside of going full off the deep end and 'what if you went to Paris first...') Has anyone done something similar? Any ideas on helping pull it off (Can I still buy non-expiring park passes/or do 7 day passes work at any Disney Park?!)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
No expiration tickets are no more. And WDW and DLR have different tickets. WDW tickets are date-specific now, with different prices for different times of the year. (I don’t know if DLR tickets are priced similarly or not.)

That’s all the help I can give. Best of luck!

Upvote 0

RememberWhen

I can’t help with the tickets question other than to assume it’ll be expensive.
But the trip itself sounds totally nuts in the very best way. Any chance you can head to Paris too? Or China?

Upvote 0

MickeyCB

We never did this. Chickened out, but... my son was going to Hong Kong for a college semester. We were going to meet him there, do both parks there and fly on to Japan. Apparently there is some way to get a flight set up that you can stay somewhere a day or so and then move on and it is considered a contiguous flight? No idea. I didn't pursue it further because the whole thing fell through. And apparently you need 12-14 days or something if you want to see some of the countries as well.

Upvote 0
We did something kind of like this in 2016. Flew from Arkansas to LA and went to Disneyland for a couple of days, then flew to Hong Kong for 5 nights, one of which we just left our stuff there and flew to Shanghi. Went first flight to Shanghi and last flight back to Hong Kong. Then went to Tokyo for 6 nights. Was a wonderful whirlwind of a trip and would do it again in a heartbeat. Go for it and enjoy!

Upvote 0

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
giphy.gif

Then do a trip report so we know how it went😀

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Single days at WDW and DL are the most expensive option for those parks. If you have the time, I'd do at least two or three days at each.

Regardless, it sounds like a fun trip.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Nothings crazy since youre used to traveling and are prepared for all the transitioning and moving around. If you have the opportunity and means to do it then do it while you can.

Upvote 0

COrunner

Original Poster
I can’t help with the tickets question other than to assume it’ll be expensive.
But the trip itself sounds totally nuts in the very best way. Any chance you can head to Paris too? Or China?
With all the other travel if the family was down for it I'd consider moving on to China then Paris. Honestly though that would be outside our means to in that amount of time:)

Surprisingly when I was looking over and doing some very rough budgeting (Like just the flights, hotels) It was around $7500 to do the OH-FL-CA-JPN-CA-OH. Then when I added in some of the hotel and miles I had I could bring that down.

The toss up in this, even if I drop the FL portion and just go in and out of LAX, do a Disneyland day is I can stay off site using miles and hotel points and really save (makes the US side of things about $600 plus the points/miles used).

I know and love WDW so off site isn't something I'd want to do. Any Disneyland people know if there is a benefit to staying on site there?

Upvote 0

COrunner

Original Poster
Early entry to DL and DCA, and if you stay at the GC, a gate into DCA right in the hotel.
Thanks!

I think right now I may cut the WDW portion. I have floated the idea to my sister who said that they would just want to do 2 days at DL then 1 at each for the money.

Upvote 0

kimberlymautz

Thanks!

I think right now I may cut the WDW portion. I have floated the idea to my sister who said that they would just want to do 2 days at DL then 1 at each for the money.

I was going to suggest just sticking with Disneyland, Tokyo Disney, and Disney Sea. As much fun as it would be to hit all four in such a short amount of time, by the time you add in hotels, park tickets, food, etc. you'd be spending a lot of money. I mean, if you have it then heck yeah, go for it! I'm DYING to get to Tokyo, I look forward to seeing your Trip Report when you get to go!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom