tell me it is not so!?!

General Grizz

BRER STITCH said:
Judging from the passion displayed in this thread there is only one solution:

Replace the Carrousel of Progress with a new model of the Golden Girls House!

:lookaroun
No...just make the house a facade.

Replace the Carousel Family with the Golden Girls as hosts!

That is, after releasing the Golden Girls Movie, putting the show on prime time ABC, and plastering up faces of the characters on the monorails. Synergy all around! :lookaroun

(Oh, and throw in a few sequels and prequels in here and there. ;) )

OliveMcFly

I'm still angry about them taking away the houses. I'm not even sure if I'm going to see the Stunt Show, not like it will matter. They had a cool backlot tour. I miss it a lot.

Gucci65

mraw said:
Have you ever gotten up and walked over to the house yourself? If you haven't, you have nothing to say. Like I said in my earlier post, the house was a forced perspective. That is why no one has ever seen a photo of a person in front of it- it will kill the effect. The house was built that way so it will show up in photographs and film to look life size. As far as "compare your description of the driveway to the one seen in the photo"- yes, it is of utmost importance that I explain myself to you about a house that doesn't exist anymore :rolleyes:

No it doesn't matter anymore, but I remember talking my daughters picture with Chip & Dale in that driveway during the Osborne Spectale of Lighths and I don't recall it being tiny - enough room the two characters, their handler, my child & my Dad & I. :veryconfu

Anyway.............

crazygirley

Anyone have pictures of any of the other "houses"? I hadn't been on the tour for years before they tore it all down. I forget what it looked like, really.

awallaceunc

mraw said:
Have you ever gotten up and walked over to the house yourself? If you haven't, you have nothing to say. Like I said in my earlier post, the house was a forced perspective. That is why no one has ever seen a photo of a person in front of it- it will kill the effect. The house was built that way so it will show up in photographs and film to look life size. As far as "compare your description of the driveway to the one seen in the photo"- yes, it is of utmost importance that I explain myself to you about a house that doesn't exist anymore :rolleyes:

On the season 2 DVD, you can see several scenes where vehicles pull into the driveway and the whole vehicle fits. I'll try to get a screencap when I have the DVD on me.

-Aaron

AEfx

awallaceunc said:
On the season 2 DVD, you can see several scenes where vehicles pull into the driveway and the whole vehicle fits. I'll try to get a screencap when I have the DVD on me.

That's because the Studios hadn't bee built then and they used another location (season 2 was filmed 86-87).

The MGM facade was only actually used on the final couple of seasons of the show.

Connor002 said:
i don't mean to make you people angry, but HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY THINK THAT A FEW TV SETS ARE BETTER THAN LMAESS?

LOL I can easily say I enjoyed them more. LMA is poorly written, falls under that "fake filming" trap I hate so much at the studios (we know you aren't filmiing, why pretend??!!), and has a few interesting, brief stunts but I found it way too much trouble than it was worth. I won't be visiting again. This is unlike the facades, which were my only real reason for boarding the backstage tour year after year.

Will LMA cycle more guests? Sure - it's on a different scale, but I'd be MUCH happier if it hadn't come (since I'll never bother to experience it again) and they'd left the GG (and other) houses for us to look at - or at least moved them. I may not be in the majority, but to say for everyone it was better is untrue. Not everyone likes watching loud cars zoom around for a few seconds at a time in between inane banter - just like not everyone enjoyed the facades as a piece of television history, one of the few things in the park that were actually used for something in...gasp, making entertainment.

I can't tell you how many people I know who's only recollection of MGM is the house facades, "oh, isn't that the one where the Golden Girls lived?" - and how disapointed every one of them has been when they find out they are gone. Disney really should have moved them somewhere - even off MGM - but just destroying them was a big loss to a different kind of studio, the one MGM is always trying to pretend to be.

AEfx

Slipknot

awallaceunc said:

-Aaron

The first couple of seasons they filmed the outside of an acutal house in Miami, FL.

RedBaron

kengels said:
What rock have you been hiding under? This has been easily a three-four year process.

You should remember that not everyone lives in Florida and gets to go to the parks all the time. I have not been there for quite a few years unfortunately but the last 15 times I was there the Golden Girls house was standing. :wave: I will miss not seeing the house on the back lot, but I guess we should remember that this show was in its height of popularity almost 20 years ago now... I guess I am disappointed to hear that these sets were destroyed for LMA. Like someone else has posted, I am not really interested in seeing or hearing a bunch of cars race around and explode. I dont know if I would bother to see it unless my husband really wants to watch. Since I have not been to MGM in a while, can someone tell me if there still is a Back Lot Tour? I really used to enjoy that.

Gucci65

Yes, the Back Lot Tour still exsists. You drive by the LMA arena instead of cruising down the residental street.

Osborne Lights are NOT nearly as good as they used to be since the change :(

lebeau

The lack of the GG house was my wife's biggest disappointment when we went to WDW. She's a huge GGs fan and on the list of things she was looking forward to on the trip, the GG house ranked up there with meeting Mickey.I personally never liked GG and didn't really care about seeing the house. But I did find that Backlot tour pretty underwhelming. It was like a tour of ... well nothing really.

BeachClubVillas

I'm also very disappointed by the loss of the house facades and the backlot tour. What's left of the tour is really just a shell. I'm sure I'll see LMAX once when I visit in July, but I doubt I'll return again. It doesn't seem to have the repeat ability that the backlot tour had.

What worries me most, though, is not what they did to the houses but what they did to Walt's plane. It was the one he used to scout locations in Florida. I would be so angry if they destroyed that piece of history.

peter11435

BeachClubVillas said:
I'm also very disappointed by the loss of the house facades and the backlot tour. What's left of the tour is really just a shell. I'm sure I'll see LMAX once when I visit in July, but I doubt I'll return again. It doesn't seem to have the repeat ability that the backlot tour had.

What worries me most, though, is not what they did to the houses but what they did to Walt's plane. It was the one he used to scout locations in Florida. I would be so angry if they destroyed that piece of history.
Walts plane is actually still there. It is along the tour just behind the LMAX arena.

mickeyman65

I video of the ride which has the GG house in it maybe you could show it to your nephew so you could at least see the way it was...I also have video of the house during Christmas time when the Osbourne Lights were there....

Woody13

BeachClubVillas said:
If you're worried about history, then let's start here. Walt never used that plane "to scout locations in Florida".

monorail_driver

Hmm? I thought when I was on the tour, they guide stated Walt traveled on the plane when he was searching locations in Florida ... did I miss something??

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Experts- ex as in has been, spert, as in drip under pressure.

As for fake streets, fake houses it fits realy well into what is now a fake studio. Shhhhhh dont tell anyone, but the characters are fake too, its people n costume :hammer: :eek:

Gucci65

bgraham34 said:
Is that true. I saw the lights for the first time this Past December. I loved what I saw.

The lights this past December were awesome, BUT they used to be spectacular. You walked down residental street and everything was covered (ie bikes in the yards - that type of stuff). I like the lights now, I LOVED the previous setup (as did my daughter & my Dad).

If last December was your first time, then of course I would expect you to be wowed. :wave:

Woody13

monorail_driver said:
Hmm? I thought when I was on the tour, they guide stated Walt traveled on the plane when he was searching locations in Florida ... did I miss something??
You're right. They do say that on the tour but they're wrong. Think about it for a minute. After considering three possible sites in Florida, a location on the border of Orange and Osceola counties was chosen in 1964. Dummy corporations were set up and Disney agents, led by Robert Foster, secretary and general counsel for Disneyland, began buying land under phony names. Walt had the team work as quickly as possible, for he knew that as soon as word got out about a massive Disney land acquisition, property costs would go up tremendously. "Project X" was top secret.

Do you think Walt Disney would have been stupid enough to fly into Florida in his corporate jet, a Gulfstream turboprop with tail number N234MM? He didn't fly that plane into Florida until after the Florida property was purchased.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
General Grizz said:
I, for one, don't want to see such Disney classics as "Carousel of Progress" and "Country Bear Jamboree" replaced by clones of already exisiting attractions. :rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly Grizz....someone is complaining about practically a cardboard cutout of some house when Disney is dropping classic attractions like Horizons, 20k, and Toad left and right.......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom