tell me it is not so!?!

sueybee

Original Poster
Okay so I am all geared up for Disney and to what to my dismay have I heard, that the Golden Girl house is no more at MGM....now I know GG is well out of date by with reruns and its release on DVD I can not help but feel nostalgic that and my 8 yr old nephew who is autistic and has add/adhd absolutely loves them, I explained that we would be able to see their house and as tragic as it may be, did I hear correctly or is it hogwash?

Woody13

sueybee said:
Okay so I am all geared up for Disney and to what to my dismay have I heard, that the Golden Girl house is no more at MGM....now I know GG is well out of date by with reruns and its release on DVD I can not help but feel nostalgic that and my 8 yr old nephew who is autistic and has add/adhd absolutely loves them, I explained that we would be able to see their house and as tragic as it may be, did I hear correctly or is it hogwash?
It's gone along with all the other house facades on residential street at Disney/MGM. They replaced it with the Lights, Motors, Action and Boredom show.

HOW can they just take away CLASSIC houses like that?????? they shouldn't have the authority to do that, the public should vote, the real wdw fans should vote....

Slipknot

TheDisneyQueen said:
HOW can they just take away CLASSIC houses like that?????? they shouldn't have the authority to do that, the public should vote, the real wdw fans should vote....

They can take it away (or should I say demolish in this instance) easily. If it was at one of Disney's parks, then Disney more than likely owned it (don't quote me on that, I'm not entirely sure). If that is the case, they can do whatever the heck they want to do with it, public approval or no. Just look at all the vehicles in the boneyard of the Backlot Tour. :eek:

MickeyFanatic

:eek:

I guess I've been under a rock too for some time, I was there in 9/02 and the houses were all in tack..... what a shame. I'm glad I got to see them the few times that I did!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It really is a shame that they just bulldozed them down and dumped them in a dumpster to be hauled off to the rubbish pile.

They could have at least dismantled the Golden Girls house and either sold it to Mouse Surplus or sold it on E-Bay!!!

I'm sure that someone would have paid a pretty price to have the Golden Girls house it their backyard. :lol:

mraw

sueybee said:

The facade of the house was very small. It looked like a kid's playhouse. We used to ride down Residential Street after hours when we were leaving our work locations and we'd stop and visit. We stood our bikes up in the driveway, and it [the driveway] was only a few feet longer than a single bicycle. We went up to the door and went inside, and we also sat on the lanai in the front. It was fun. Some good memories.

The house had a forced perspective which made it look larger than it actually was, but near the end of it's time, a huge palm tree had grown in front of it, and you could tell it was pretty small. The Empty Nest house was much larger, though.

Enderikari

TheDisneyQueen said:

Wow, I hope that is a joke. Otherwise, just wow.
They shouldn't have the authority to do that? Its their house to do with what they will. and the True WDW fans realize that. After all, Walt did see his parks as a always changing masterpiece.

Woody13

Enderikari said:
Wow, I hope that is a joke. Otherwise, just wow.
They shouldn't have the authority to do that? Its their house to do with what they will. and the True WDW fans realize that. After all, Walt did see his parks as a always changing masterpiece.
Well said. Let's hope it applies to CoP and the CBJ as well!

Connor002

i don't mean to make you people angry, but HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY THINK THAT A FEW TV SETS ARE BETTER THAN LMAESS?

sure, they were kind of cool, but really! come on!

Walt once said that disneyland would never be finished. it would expand and grow. all in the name of progress. "Although our carousel family has experienced a few changes over the years, our show still revolves around the same theme, and thats progress.- Carousel of Progress

not all changes are for the best, but some work out all right.

i think that Lights motors action was a good change.

peter11435

mraw said:
The facade of the house was very small. It looked like a kid's playhouse. We used to ride down Residential Street after hours when we were leaving our work locations and we'd stop and visit. We stood our bikes up in the driveway, and it [the driveway] was only a few feet longer than a single bicycle. We went up to the door and went inside, and we also sat on the lanai in the front. It was fun. Some good memories.

The house had a forced perspective which made it look larger than it actually was, but near the end of it's time, a huge palm tree had grown in front of it, and you could tell it was pretty small. The Empty Nest house was much larger, though.
There are so many things wrong in that post I don't even know where to start.

I would hardly say this looks like a "kid's playhouse"
ds_golden_girls_690.jpg

mraw

I used to work at the Studios and we would ride up to the house after hours and go inside it an such. I did not say that there was furniture in the house or anything. There was a big metal box inside when you opened the door and you could see out to the other side of the street.

mraw

peter11435 said:
There are so many things wrong in that post I don't even know where to start.

I would hardly say this looks like a "kid's playhouse"
ds_golden_girls_690.jpg

First off, your link doesn't work. Secondly, if I am 5'7" and my head almost touched the underside of the roof, IT IS A SMALL HOUSE.

peter11435

mraw said:
First off, your link doesn't work. Secondly, if I am 5'7" and my head almost touched the underside of the roof, IT IS A SMALL HOUSE.
Then compare your description of the driveway to the one seen in the photo. BTW it works now.

mraw

peter11435 said:
Then compare your description of the driveway to the one seen in the photo. BTW it works now.
Have you ever gotten up and walked over to the house yourself? If you haven't, you have nothing to say. Like I said in my earlier post, the house was a forced perspective. That is why no one has ever seen a photo of a person in front of it- it will kill the effect. The house was built that way so it will show up in photographs and film to look life size. As far as "compare your description of the driveway to the one seen in the photo"- yes, it is of utmost importance that I explain myself to you about a house that doesn't exist anymore :rolleyes:

General Grizz

I, for one, don't want to see such Disney classics as "Carousel of Progress" and "Country Bear Jamboree" replaced by clones of already exisiting attractions. :rolleyes:

KentB3

General Grizz said:
I, for one, don't want to see such Disney classics as "Carousel of Progress" and "Country Bear Jamboree" replaced by clones of already exisiting attractions. :rolleyes:

That seems to sum up EVERYTHING in just one sentence! :animwink:

BRER STITCH

Judging from the passion displayed in this thread there is only one solution:

Replace the Carrousel of Progress with a new model of the Golden Girls House!

:lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom