Tell me about the end of January

We will be visiting MK the very last of January. I know temps can very greatly at this time but for those of you that have been to DW at the end of January how should we expect to dress? Also how are the crowds at that time? I mean I know it's not the middle of the summer but is it still pretty busy at that time or relatively quiet? I just don't know what to expect. Thanks!

CaptainAmerica

Bring both jeans and shorts. Don't pick a resort based on the pool because you probably won't need it. At least a light jacket/sweatshirt for the evenings. Busy times in January include New Year's, Marathon weekend, and MLK weekend. None of those generate too much in terms of mid-week crowds, but you'll definitely see bumps Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday. January 23-30 would have been my ideal week for all of 2016 but it didn't work for the rest of my travel party so we're going in between Marathon and MLK instead.

Upvote 0

wdwfan4ver

While I haven't went that time of the year, I know there that some attractions are usually under refurbishments around that time.

Typhoon Lagoon is going to be closed from January 3rd, 2016 to March 12,2016. Splash Mountain usually is under refurbishment that time of the year you are going also.

Upvote 0

amaley01

Welcome, going in January is great!!!! :inlove: expect the park crowds to be heavier on the weekend, you shouldn't have difficulty getting dining reservations, only 1 water park will be open, usually splash & kali get refurbed and/or some rides will not have the water features operating, you'll still see Brazilian tour groups(they usually stay at the value resorts) and although you'll get mixed weather you'll be fine if you bring a sweatshirt or buy one! ;) (but at that time for me anything is better than 3 feet of snowo_O )
Have fun planning.

Upvote 0

wish upon a star

Original Poster
Great thanks for the info we will be there on a Friday, we will only be there 1 day b/c are stopping on our way down for our cruise. I think I'm going to do short sleeves with pants and then bring shorts to change into as well. Of course will have to bring a princess dress to for when we meet the princesses. (for my daughter not for me! :) )

Upvote 0

DaisyDoesDisney

We've only gone one time in January and while it certainly isn't packed like during the peak times of year I would not call it "quiet". The exception was Typhoon Lagoon. My boys practically had the place to themselves. While it was very nice to board a plane with six inches of snow on the ground and deplane to 75 degree weather, the number of closures has kept us from returning at that time of year.

Upvote 0

SDisney90

I head to the world around the 7th of January and for that time I've learn to expect, the unexpected. My first trip ever to DW when I was 18 I packed all shorts and 1 pair of jeans. Let's just say I wore those jeans just about every single day with the exception of our day in Epcot. It was colder in FL than it was in New England which is very rare it was one of the coldest record temps in FL history from what I remember. Last year the weather was fairly warm with a breezy morning.

I'd recommend a lightweight jacket for the morning or a long sleeve shirt with a short sleeve under or one to change into later on in the day if staying at the parks. Ever since 2008 I always make sure I pack half shorts half jeans in my suitcase just to be safe ;) towards the end of January I'm sure it's a lot warmer as well..

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

I head to the world around the 7th of January and for that time I've learn to expect, the unexpected. My first trip ever to DW when I was 18 I packed all shorts and 1 pair of jeans. Let's just say I wore those jeans just about every single day with the exception of our day in Epcot. It was colder in FL than it was in New England which is very rare it was one of the coldest record temps in FL history from what I remember. Last year the weather was fairly warm with a breezy morning.

I'd recommend a lightweight jacket for the morning or a long sleeve shirt with a short sleeve under or one to change into later on in the day if staying at the parks. Ever since 2008 I always make sure I pack half shorts half jeans in my suitcase just to be safe ;) towards the end of January I'm sure it's a lot warmer as well..
The second half of January is actually cooler than the first. The coldest day of the year, on average, is about January 21.

Upvote 0

Cmdr_Crimson

Having gone at the end of January it is not all bad.........Except Tour groups are still active and since they realized they can stay inside the resort they take over the value resorts..While they can be a bit annoying at times the only bit of newsense with them is mornings, any time your in a food court or the evenings...Other than that they aren't bad in the parks as they spread out..

Upvote 0

hollymc3

We always go that same week ( and will be going in 195 days!). Our 2014 trip consisted of cold rain but prior times we have had anything from swimsuits to sweatshirts. However it is always warmer than in northern NH where we live!

Upvote 0

KikoKea

We love WDW in Jan. Coming from a year round warm climate, we look forward to cool weather, a fire in the hotel lobby, hot drinks at night, and wearing a jacket or sweatshirt. We check the weather a week before we leave and plan for temps just a little cooler or warmer. For us, anything below 60 is chilly- if it is 50, we are cold! I was wearing gloves, knit hat, scarf and jacket one trip (and glad for them) but others were still in shorts. You might be one of those in shorts, laughing at me bundled up like I was in Alaska. (Or, you might be envying my warm hat and gloves!) We use layers- t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, and a light jacket. I like those soft ones that are warm but weigh next to nothing in a backpack.

With the arrival of large tour groups from SA, the parks are more crowded than winters years ago, but it is not like summer or spring break. The most popular rides will have waits of 30-60 mins, but many will stay around 15 or less.

Upvote 0

patch553

weve been there in January many times,as previously said it varys quite a lot, we got married there 5 years ago in January and it was one of the coldest Januarys in florida on record but the next trip it was pretty much t shirt and shorts weather the whole time.
as for crowds the later in month we tend to find is a little more busy than early but not to the point that it disrupts any plans

Upvote 0

hollymc3

We love WDW in Jan. Coming from a year round warm climate, we look forward to cool weather, a fire in the hotel lobby, hot drinks at night, and wearing a jacket or sweatshirt. We check the weather a week before we leave and plan for temps just a little cooler or warmer. For us, anything below 60 is chilly- if it is 50, we are cold! I was wearing gloves, knit hat, scarf and jacket one trip (and glad for them) but others were still in shorts. You might be one of those in shorts, laughing at me bundled up like I was in Alaska. (Or, you might be envying my warm hat and gloves!) We use layers- t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, and a light jacket. I like those soft ones that are warm but weigh next to nothing in a backpack.

With the arrival of large tour groups from SA, the parks are more crowded than winters years ago, but it is not like summer or spring break. The most popular rides will have waits of 30-60 mins, but many will stay around 15 or less.
That gave me a chuckle. We are coming from negative temps so 60 is swimming weather! :)

Upvote 0

draybook

We'll be there from January 26th until February 3rd. We just did a Feb trip this year, but we're looking for lighter crowds at the end of Jan. This year it was very busy in Feb.....

Upvote 0

polynesiangirl

Packing is the worst part, because on our last trip we had a day where we wore hats and gloves and sweaters (and it was windy and rainy..brrr...) and then two days later it was in the 80s, we went swimming and I wore a tank top to the park and got sunburned. So you kind of have to prepare for a LOT of different weather situations.

Crowds were manageable. It wasn't a ghost town or anything, but I don't think that ever happens at WDW at any time of the year anymore. Good hotel rates around that time, too.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom