Tell me about March

David

Original Poster
My DW and I are considering a trip down the first week in March. We've never gone that time of year and I was wondering if going that early we would experienece any of the beginnings of Spring Break crowds. What is the weather usually like? Any pros or cons for that time of year?

bgraham34

Well if you are the the 7th that starts the Flower and Garden Festival which is really nice. Great flowers and Topiary. Crowds start to get heavy. You are looking at 50 min waits on most rides. Some rides like Soarin and TSMM will be longer of course. The weather can be warm like in the upper 70's or even the 80's during the day or it could be in the 60's. At night it will be in the upper 40's to 50's.

Tinkerbell 8

We went in March 2010 and we LOVED it, which is why we are going again this coming March. The weather was great, the early morning was chilly, but I wore flip flops, capri jeans and t-shirts (once or twice I wore a tank top), and I brought a zip up light sweatshirt. My DH wore shorts every day so the weather didn't affect him much. There was also no rain, which was a big change for us. The waits were very short, most rides didn't even have a wait, with the exception of TSMM, Soarin'. The crowds were non exsistant compared to when we usually go in August. It got chilly at night, but I never needed more than my sweatshirt. Going in the beginning of the month is great because most schools don't go on spring break till the 2nd-3rd week. And the Flower and Garden Festival starts which is absolutely beautiful! We didn't notice large crowds b/c of this event since it runs for a few months.

I was there in March 08. Enjoyed it. Little chilly with the rain at times, but overall not bad.

Pro:
Short Lines

Con:
All the parks closed ridiculously early so scheduling fireworks or Fantasmic took some planning.

devoy1701

We had a very wet March this year... completely abnormal...but we had a week that it just rained constantly....all day, every hour...morning through overnight. Guess it beats a blizzard though!

Other than that rarity...March is absolutely beautiful down here! In Tampa our freezing temps end during February, Orlando's might linger a bit longer.

draybook

We were there this March, from the 9th til the 18th, and I liked the weather. Very moderate, with high's around 75ish I think. The crowds were heavy, but I think there was an abnormal amount of schools that had an early Spring Break this year. However, if you go in with the mindset that it's going to be packed, it helps take the edge off. It made us look forward to our September trip even more.

David

Original Poster
We were there this March, from the 9th til the 18th, and I liked the weather. Very moderate, with high's around 75ish I think. The crowds were heavy, but I think there was an abnormal amount of schools that had an early Spring Break this year. However, if you go in with the mindset that it's going to be packed, it helps take the edge off. It made us look forward to our September trip even more.

We were there a couple of years ago at Christmas. I don't think ANY crowd level can top what we saw then---and survived!

JillC LI

We were there from March 1-4 this year. The weather was lovely. The crowds were low with one exception: We made the mistake of going to EPCOT on opening day of the Flower & Garden Festival. Fifteen minutes before opening the lines to get in were bigger than I'd ever seen before. We made a beeline for Soarin, and then to Test Track, so we had no problem, but if you're going to go that day, arrive early because FPs were gone quickly. But the topiaries and landscaping were simply beautiful. All other parks were extremely manageable that first week this past March as it preceded the Spring Break crowds.

Tooning

I love going in March. Crowds are medium, Weather the last few times I was there has been crappy(But still way Nicer than here-Canada) and I would rather have a little cooler than stupid hot. We have hit a few spring breaks but I found them still manageable and still some week days were really low crowds. I also like taht most stuff seems to be running then too.

jlevis

We were there this year the last week of March and the first week of April. The crowds were brutal, but we had a great time. We did get some rain one day but the weather was very comfortable.

draybook

We were there a couple of years ago at Christmas. I don't think ANY crowd level can top what we saw then---and survived!

Yeah, we went in the first two weeks of December of 09. It wasn't as packed as Christmas, but the Xmas party we did on the 8th was slammed with people without wristbands. It made for a very unpleasant evening.

dreamscometrue

Most of our trips have been at Christmas, but we've gone 3 times during the the last 5 years in March (early March...leave WDW by the 11th). We find the crowds really quite low and the F&G Festival is wonderful.

David S.

My DW and I are considering a trip down the first week in March. We've never gone that time of year and I was wondering if going that early we would experienece any of the beginnings of Spring Break crowds. What is the weather usually like? Any pros or cons for that time of year?

Here is a detailed breakdown of the average high, low, and median temps for each day of the month of March at the Walt Disney World Resort:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/wxclimatology/daily/USFL0615?climoMonth=3

Personally, I like my weather on the chilly side, and since the average overnight low on March 1 is only 51 degrees, I can usually get by with just shorts and a t-shirt the entire month, because the overnight low is usually what the temp is around 4 or 5 in the morning, and when the parks close at night it's usually still at (or close to) 60 or above, which is a PERFECT night temp for my tastes, since 60-65 is my ideal outdoor and room temperature.

Sometimes the high can get into the 80's, which is not as comfortable a sunlight high temp for me as January highs in the upper 60's/low70's, but this is still MUCH more preferable to the dog days of summer! March is statistically the fourth coolest month at WDW, making it the fourth best for weather, for my taste! ;)

As far as crowds, I don't think they'll be as crowded the first week as later in the month, but if any schools anywhere in the country have the week off, it won't be as light as, say, mid to late January.

But if there is any kind of crowds that week, the park hours will be longer than the "dead season", which can help compensate. And the parks won't be nearly as packed as the weeks before and after Christmas and Easter. Just use Fastpass as needed and you'll be fine!

Lastly, as others have said, I highly recommend the Flower and Garden Festival. Have fun! :)

Walt Disney1955

Depending on when you go, if its mid March you'll have lots of Canadians there. That's our version of "spring break" so a lot of families are down there at that time. I've gone every time of my life in March except for 2009 when it was September/October. I notice the crowds busier in March for sure but it probably still pales in comparison to the summer.

The weather is pretty nice. For sure it isn't too hot. 75 degrees might be your average day. You can swim during the day for sure, and maybe even on some nights as well. You can always tell what part of the world people are from in March. Canadians will wear shorts. Deep south Americans won't, haha.

David S.

You can always tell what part of the world people are from in March. Canadians will wear shorts. Deep south Americans won't, haha.

Except for me! I've lived in the deep south my entire life (New Orleans and Orlando), and I LOVE cool weather! I am VERY comfortable in just shorts and a t-shirt down to around the low 50's/mid 40's, depending on the wind chill! :)

I often get mistaken for a northerner, especially by southerners and Floridians, who I have occasionally seen wearing COATS when it was in the low 60's! ;)

The flip side is, I've NEVER gotten used to the oppressive summer heat and humidity! 80 is too hot for me, and 90 or above is PURE TORTURE! :) And it just feels worse to me the older I get.

As you can imagine, my AC bills in the summer are quite high, as I keep it at a comfortably cool 68 degrees whenever I'm home. But in the winter they are dirt cheap, because I NEVER run the heat since the interior temperature rarely drops below a comfortably cool and cave-like 60 degrees! :)

PS. This guy is one of my heroes ;) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPrbccEdI5o

Don't care for him, though - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbfgVEk-mxQ&feature=related

Walt Disney1955

Except for me! I've lived in the deep south my entire life (New Orleans and Orlando), and I LOVE cool weather! I am VERY comfortable in just shorts and a t-shirt down to around the low 50's/mid 40's, depending on the wind chill! :)

I often get mistaken for a northerner, especially by southerners and Floridians, who I have occasionally seen wearing COATS when it was in the low 60's! ;)

The flip side is, I've NEVER gotten used to the oppressive summer heat and humidity! 80 is too hot for me, and 90 or above is PURE TORTURE! :) And it just feels worse to me the older I get.

As you can imagine, my AC bills in the summer are quite high, as I keep it at a comfortably cool 68 degrees whenever I'm home. But in the winter they are dirt cheap, because I NEVER run the heat since the interior temperature rarely drops below a comfortably cool and cave-like 60 degrees! :)

PS. This guy is one of my heroes ;) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPrbccEdI5o

Don't care for him, though - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbfgVEk-mxQ&feature=related

Yeah I won't wear shorts when its 50 degrees out there. Not outside at least. And we get dumped on with snow up here (1 hour west of Toronto). I will say with great confidence that you are nuts, David :D

David S.

I hope you were just kidding ;)

For what it's worth, I've seen other people wearing shorts at WDW in the 50's, (and they are usually male and usually "Yankees"), so it's not just me! My point was, I'll be the lone Southerner joining them!

Someone told me I must have "thick blood", but I don't know, I just don't FEEL affected by the cold like most people seem to. The "frozen foods" section in the grocery feels like PARADISE to me! But again, I can't tolerate heat like most can. If it's as low as the 80's and I'm outdoors in the parks for any length of time I have to keep pouring complimentary ice water down my shirt every half hour or so, or else I feel like I'm going to suffocate or collapse!

Whenever I'm in St. Louis I go to the St. Louis Zoo, and they have one of the only Penguin/Puffin exhibits in the country where the air temperature for the birds is the same as it is for the guests, because the glass doesn't go all the way to the ceiling. Which means it is in the LOW 40's in there! (but with no wind chill). I am usually wearing shorts and a t-shirt at the zoo, so that's what I have on in the exhibit. Yet the temp doesn't bother me; I stayed in there enjoying the penguins for at least a half hour and didn't feel uncomfortable, although the employees all had long pants and light jackets on, and other guests looked cold.

One thing is, if I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt at a park and it's in the 50's but with no wind chill, this might seem "extreme", but you expend energy everytime you walk from one attraction to the next, and this makes your body heat go up. And If I walk briskly, jog, or run, it can actually feel HOT when it's in the 50s, even with shorts!

And another thing too is, MK, Epcot, and Studios have a much higher percentage of indoor attractions than most parks. And if I wear long pants, I am HOT whenever I go into any of the buildings, shops, etc, since they don't keep them as cool as I am used to at my house. Sometimes in the winter, some buildings even have the stupid heaters on, and you just feel that humid stuffiness suffocating you, and your legs wish you were wearing shorts to keep them cool!

So, my first "line of defense" for nights expected to be in the low 50's/upper 40's, before going to the long pants, is to wear a light sweater over the T-shirt. The kind with buttons that are easy to take off whenever I enter a building, so I won't be hot inside. I stash it in a park locker during the day so I won't be hot when the sun is out, and IF I start to feel a little chilly even for my standards at night, and I know I'm going to be sitting still outside for awhile (such as Fantastmic!) I have the option of using it.

I just like being comfortably cool at all times (like in a cave, which are usually around 60), and since I keep my house very cool (no warmer than 68), I think this also makes it much easier for me to deal with the cold than most people. Sometimes I may make an error of judgement and don't use the sweater when I could have, but I'd rather err on the cool side, because I am more comfortable being a bit more cool than my ideal, than I am being even just the slightest bit hot or "warm".

My motto is "The colder, the better!" :) Of course, I don't live in the north or have to shovel snow, and it RARELY drops below 32 in New Orleans or Florida. So I have a romanticized view of winter, since any time I can spend in the 40's, 50's, and 60's provides a welcome relief from the rest of the year!

PS. Another example is when I went to the Mall of America's amusement park in Minneapolis, (actually, Bloomington), it was in the low 40's, but I got a parking spot in the garage just about 20 feet from one of the entrance doors, so I wore shorts and a t-shirt inside the mall. People inside were all bundled up with coats/jackets and long pants in a 72 degree indoor environment! But since I spent the whole day there at the park and exploring the huge mall, I felt VERY comfortable. I would have been MISERABLE in there in long pants and/or a jacket/sweater, so why wear them - to be uncomfortable all day just because I would have been too much of a pansy to deal with 40 degrees for the few seconds it took to walk from car to mall entrance!

onesandzeros

I’ve been to WDW many times in March and would agree with earlier posts regarding crowds and relative nice weather . Would add that if you’re a baseball fan, the Atlanta Braves have Spring Training at ESPN Wide World complex.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom