Telecommuting or working remotely while at Disney Saratoga Springs.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
We have an opportunity to go down for a week at SSR, but one of us has to work the whole time, or at least 8-5. That being said, working at the computer at Disney seems to be a better day than working at the office.
Have computer, batteries, headphones and headset for conference calls (so as to not disturb others) and everything needed.
The question is, has anyone done this, specifically at SSR poolside and is it doable? We can set up at a table, maybe off to the side, either at the Congress Park quiet pool or the Grandstand pool, where there would be less people than at the other two pools (might even wander over to the Treehouse pool).
Is the wi-fi reliable enough for conference calls lasting a couple of hours, emails, sending reports, receiving reports etc...?
The idea is to spend some time hanging out poolside with (or within reasonable proximity) to others, but yet working at the same time. That seems better than just hanging out in the room or on the balcony alone. Heck, in between phone-based meetings we might even hop in and make a lap or two before hopping back out, drying off and getting back to work.
Then evenings we can walk over to DS, do some resort hopping, ride bicycles and maybe catch some fireworks. Probably won't go to a park again this trip, so that is not a big deal as we have had parkless trips before, and worked before in the room, but only a limited amount, and a limited work schedule won't be possible this trip as life just keeps getting in the way of leisure.
Of course, the other choice is not going, but that seems like a less desirable choice.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
I'd be most concerned about weather. Your laptop isn't going to perform optimally in the heat and humidity, depending on the time of year.

You know, I did not take that into consideration at all. It never even crossed my mind. The opportunity popped up just recently, and the trip will be in a few weeks, and the summer heat and humidity and afternoon thunderstorms are still very much present in early to mid September. I can easily protect the laptop from a rainshower with a waterproof bag if we have to make a mad dash back to the room from the pool, but had not thought about residual moisture from humidity, and oppressive heat and what effect it might have on the laptop. Thanks for the input.

HansGruber

A few years ago, I tried to do work in my room at Bay Lake Towers. The WiFi was horrendous; almost non-existent. The ping alone was measured in seconds. I did relocate to the conference area and received a much better and workable signal.

This past summer I was able to work exclusively in my room at Y+B Club, however the signal was still awkward. The signal was strong but it kept cutting in an out with incredibly high frequency. My only guess is, there were so many access points available that my laptop was having a problem choosing one and sticking with it. Even my phone was having problems; it was easier to use my cell data.

JIMINYCR

This past trip in May our DS had work related reports and conference calls that had to be made. He managed fine while at POR. He found a nice shaded spot near the resort bldg he was staying in and it worked out fine for him. Fortunately he did not have to spend the entire trip connected to work or have to spend an 8-5 day working so we could fit in a nice time together.

wdwfan757

I worked a couple days from the 2500-2800 building at Congress Park at SSR. Sat on the little patio for a solid 7 straight hours with a healthy supply of non work-sanctioned beverages with a view directly looking at disney springs. Highly recommended.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
10 years ago, I think we'd be surprised if we had a solid Wifi signal, but now in 2018 I think its all but expected and so far I've never been disappointed.

14-15 years ago, I had a laptop connected to the internet via a cellphone hotspot. while at Epcot.

Security had a million questions for me. They thought I had hacked their network.

Skibum1970

We have an opportunity to go down for a week at SSR, but one of us has to work the whole time, or at least 8-5. That being said, working at the computer at Disney seems to be a better day than working at the office.
Have computer, batteries, headphones and headset for conference calls (so as to not disturb others) and everything needed.
The question is, has anyone done this, specifically at SSR poolside and is it doable? We can set up at a table, maybe off to the side, either at the Congress Park quiet pool or the Grandstand pool, where there would be less people than at the other two pools (might even wander over to the Treehouse pool).
Is the wi-fi reliable enough for conference calls lasting a couple of hours, emails, sending reports, receiving reports etc...?
The idea is to spend some time hanging out poolside with (or within reasonable proximity) to others, but yet working at the same time. That seems better than just hanging out in the room or on the balcony alone. Heck, in between phone-based meetings we might even hop in and make a lap or two before hopping back out, drying off and getting back to work.
Then evenings we can walk over to DS, do some resort hopping, ride bicycles and maybe catch some fireworks. Probably won't go to a park again this trip, so that is not a big deal as we have had parkless trips before, and worked before in the room, but only a limited amount, and a limited work schedule won't be possible this trip as life just keeps getting in the way of leisure.
Of course, the other choice is not going, but that seems like a less desirable choice.

Quick question unrelated to your question. Does this mean that we can expect another awesome trip report with photos? Also, will the wallet be open or closed?

Tony the Tigger

I work at Disney often, but not that many hours. In case of a bad connection, I use my iPhone as a wireless hotspot.

Can’t remember if I had to switch the phone (when using it alone) from wi-fi to data at the SSR pool.

note2001

Yes, it can be done and I have done it. Just be aware and plan to refresh the Disney login page every so often (down to only once per day?) and you will loose your VPN connection while doing so. Don't be in the middle of updating important data unless you're remoting into a server local to your company which can continue running while you refresh. Speaking of data, I strongly suggest you only work within the privacy of your room, and then keep the laptop on a desk lock and screen lock it every time you walk away just in case security decides to inspect your room just as you step away. Hey, I trust disney, but not when it comes to my job and it is my job to protect data.

Many people fall into a trap thinking that working from Disney is the ultimate way to squeeze in fun while working at the same time. Don't fall for it. Yes, after the work day is done you are free to run around and explore Disney, but if being paid to work a full day remember to treat the job and coworkers with respect as they are stuck in the office. (I've encountered coworkers with working vacation issues too many times. Oh, the stories... and yes, for the most part they did get away with it, but in most cases they quickly lost their good repurations that they had worked for years to build up.)

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

@mkt's post made me think of issues that would be my employer's concerns. 1. Is it a secure network? 2. is company/client data at risk if you work remotely in a public area? Obviously, different industries/employers...different concerns...but stuff I'd be thinking about.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
@mkt's post made me think of issues that would be my employer's concerns. 1. Is it a secure network? 2. is company/client data at risk if you work remotely in a public area? Obviously, different industries/employers...different concerns...but stuff I'd be thinking about.

In my case, we use almost entirely G suite by Google, so I can access it from any internet connection without a VPN.

HwdStudio

Yes, it can be done and I have done it. Just be aware and plan to refresh the Disney login page every so often (down to only once per day?) and you will loose your VPN connection while doing so. Don't be in the middle of updating important data unless you're remoting into a server local to your company which can continue running while you refresh. Speaking of data, I strongly suggest you only work within the privacy of your room, and then keep the laptop on a desk lock and screen lock it every time you walk away just in case security decides to inspect your room just as you step away. Hey, I trust disney, but not when it comes to my job and it is my job to protect data.

Many people fall into a trap thinking that working from Disney is the ultimate way to squeeze in fun while working at the same time. Don't fall for it. Yes, after the work day is done you are free to run around and explore Disney, but if being paid to work a full day treat the job and coworkers with respect. Please? (I've encountered coworkers with working vacation issues too many times. Oh, the stories... LOL)
Something tells me @epcotisbest will be respectful of coworkers. Don’t know him but I just have a feeling from ready posts so many years. I do get what you are saying though because I too have employees that swear they will be available and ready for work during work hours when they are on a “working” and it it’s up being a mess.

HansGruber

Any half-sane company is going to provide VPN access to their employees. It pretty much eliminates all of these concerns and is relatively cheap.

dreamfinder

I've had to work for a few hours, thankfully not a full day. I have taken conference calls both over at the MK bus depot area, as well as back in the Fantasyland Circus area in the old FP distribution tent area. If you have absolutely critical calls/work you need to do, you would most likely want to invest in a hotspot/tethering solution as a backup since I find the WiFi can still get flakey at times, especially during periods of heavy use. Definitely better than it had been, but still not completely reliable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom