Teens at Disney

mattravels

Original Poster
Ok, just one observation. Adults at Disney are WAY more obnoxious, and I don't want this to turn into any battle of the generations, and I'm strong enough to admit teenagers have more than enough of a healthy dosing of annoying people, but EVERYONE has an annoying trait. Lets see, as was said earlier, adults who YELL at their kids at Disney cause they're beeing wild or something or just keep talking get's me REALLY mad!! They just came to the most magical place on Earth, OF COARSE THEY'RE GOING TO BE EXCITED!! Their kids once let them live it up to the fullest! Then, adults who yell at teens who are ahead of them in line who claim they were there before them and they just keep looking at you funny and staring you down because they think since you're a group of teens you automatically skipped them when in REALITY we were there the whole TIME!! That has happened to me A LOT!! Parents with strollers, BEWARE, they THINK they have the right away! GRRRRRRR!!! Ok what I don't get is when people bring kids that are like 1 and stuff and they don't expect them to cry or anything! Seriously, when kids are ONE WHAT CAN THEY RIDE!! Adults have the tendancy to think they own the world, but teens have the tendancy to see themselves as invincible and they can't get hurt or anything making them more prone to hurting themselves and doing stupid stuff! BUT ADULTS DID THE SAME THING AT THAT AGE!!! EXACT SAME THING!! So they should just calm it down. This is not pointed at ANYONE on this website just my past expierences. TOMORROW I LEAVE! I got to my grandma's here in Florida last night! BYE!! :sohappy:

Katherine

First of all let's not turn this into who's worse at WDW. It could get ugly.

Second... I think it is rude to say that just because some teens are stupid and act really immature that they should be seeen that way. I mean there are plenty of adults who do stupid stuff but still in parks each is treated differently and respectfully not as a group. I know that there are more stupid teens then adults but not ALL teens are that way and they shouldn't be descriminated(for lack of a better word)against. I've seen some teens doing stuff on TTA but that doesn't give the right for every CM to be mean or different to every teen that comes through. I jsut wish we could be treated more like individuals and not as "teens". Respect is both ways usually if you show respect to us we will respect you and visa versa.

sorry I just needed to say that.:)

Disneyanna0521

Account Suspended
merlin u are SOOOO right

everyone else continues to be right and brings up good points like..we should turn this into a battle of the generations

kennyj29

Teens

I've brought my teens who happen to be Disney kids their whole lives so let's just say them would never cause trouble or anything at Disney. My son went on grad night and was appalled at some of the kids trying to destroy property. Not all teens, some of the schools had bad apples! Those kids who are bad to begin with shouldn't be allowed to go anyway. It makes the good kids take the rap for the bad ones. Every age group has bad people. I don't think any adults are picking on your age group because last year I brough some of our family with us and my 28 year old niece got yelled at on TTA for getting up to talk to the car behind her. She was yelled at too, so it doesn't make any difference what age you are, if you do something wrong, you get yelled at!!! And yes, it seems like this article might be picking on teens but nobody said EVERY teen is trouble. That is NOT what anyone is saying.

Epcot is my fav

Originally posted by Woody13
Teen time is the best time for a person to visit the Disney Parks.

i totally agree, being young myself i feel that it is fun to goof around and have fun as much as anyone else.....everyone is entitled to have fun, since they are paying for it.....i dont think we are out of control at the parks....we just like to have fun....

Since Im a teen Id like to just add my two cents. I love Disney and I hate it when people get too rowdy but its all in good fun. The only time Ive actually ever yelled in the parks, besides when I pulled the sword from the stone, was during the night of joy last year. It was the first time I'd ever been to Disney with my friends. I felt so bad for screaming like everyone else so I gave a cm a hug and told her I was sorry. We come to Disney to have fun just like everyone else. Im sure all the adults who complained would do exactly what we do if they were our age.

SpongeScott

Originally posted by imagineergurl
Im sure all the adults who complained would do exactly what we do if they were our age.
Good point. They probably did do the same things when they were teens. But you know what? You'll view things the same way when you are an adult as they are now. It's one of those things you don't see until you're there (as an adult) and then you'll think back on this thread in 20 years and realize that I was right. :D Of course by then, i'll be an old fart living in a nursing home......:lol:

mightyduck

Okay, I admit it. I'm a grown up. I tried to fight it, but no, it happened anyway.

I noticed a LOT of what people are complaining about here are the actions of parents, not adults in general. I happen to like teens. I teach high school. It's true, the freshmen give me the willies--they can't sit still and they are always touching each other. But overall, I like the way teens think and see the world. That said, from a psychological point of view, adolescent brains are prewired to be self-centered. That doesn't mean all teens behavior is self-centered, but that is the way teens view the world. This explains, in part, why teens are largely the only ones reading and commenting on this thread. Being a teen and the teen experience is primarily only of interest to... teens (and those of us who actually love them). I would take my students to WDW. And I know that while I'm standing there, they know how to behave. And I know that when large groups of teens are together and unchaparoned, there is a tendency (not a certainty, but a tendency) for chaos and behavior that pushes the boundaries of acceptable behavior. Your right to enjoy yourself (and this applies to grownups, too) ends when it actively interferes with others enjoying themselves. And different people have different thresholds of what bothers them. A small child with gooey ice cream hands who was going to wipe them on me was not cute--I was displeased not with the child, whose behavior was age-appropriate, but with his parents, who should be monitoring.

I don't mind teens at WDW. I don't mind them at the movies. But I don't like anyone to disrupt my vacation, either.

And Scott, very brave wading into the waters here. :)

Teens, frolic but be respectful of others. :) And grownups, it goes double for you. ;)

JoeZerboy

Isn't it amazing sometimes how all of our perceptions of people, whether based on age, color, creed, gender, orientation, what have you, are distorted by the badness and ugliness we see from each of those categories?

Think about it...the human capacity to remember the disturbing or bad items longer than being able to recall when someone showed us a kindness or a courtesy is frightful at times.

No matter what age you are, and I am an adult (35) and have been going to WDW since I was 4 years old, you have to keep in mind your surroundings. Treat them with respect...EVERYONE needs to observe the rules. And sometimes, to get respect, you need to show respect...you reap what you sow, remember? Be courteous to others...that should go hand in hand with being respectful.

I have seen, through my years of going there, kids and teens running amok like the rules do not apply to them...and I have also seen their peers acting with a bit of diligence and thought. I've seen adults acting very immaturely because they believe that they've been wronged in some manner or are due something for having paid the money to get into the parks...I've also seen adults just going about enjoying the moment. The problems with younger kids should fall more on the parents either not supervising them properly...or for pushing them so hard to get as much done in the parks as possible each day...yet, I have also seen families taking their time and savoring the experience.

It saddens me to see the disrespectful few OF ANY GROUP acting out, being profane, barging in line, running to get ahead of someone else, throwing around attitude because they think it makes them "cool"...but these are the same people that we remember, that stick out in our minds as someone who has bothered or lessened our enjoyment of the parks. And that remembrance gets stereotyped by many to where ALL in that group are treated as if THEY were the ones who ruined the experience.

What I suggest...is that EVERYONE act as if they are kids there with their parents and act accordingly...for in a way, we are. Walt built the parks with his love and imagination...he's taken on the role of protector and educator TO US while we are there...he has been acting as "Father" to ALL of our "inner children"...

Let's treat each other as we would treat him...

Shaman

Being a teen (19)...and almost out of the bracket, I see both point of views, yet lean more to the teen side (big surprise there). Its true, if you're a teen and go into any store, you'll have someone monitoring you 24/7 until you leave (just remember to wave at them now and then...they might get a little bored). That being said, this annoying trait described as inherent in teens is prevalent throughout the board. Some children are quiet some loud, some teens are quiet some loud, some adults are quiet some loud (especially when drunk).

The fact is that TEENS are very important to Disney, for they (we) represent the future parents who will be bringing their own kids and plan many vacations in the years to come (which means $$$$). You don't even have to go too far, recent rides are aimed at the TEEN market. SO bad news for those who hate us...your going to have to put up with us if you intend on visiting WDW. Besides, there are only a hand full of times that I have ever encountered a annoying person at Disney...more adults (and small children :animwink: ) than teens.

Lets just have fun (remember some people are starving for attention...so don't give them any :rolleyes: ). Respect is important aswell, as a teen I try to control myself from using any words which would set a terrible example for the kids all around (keep WDW rated G...lol), and yes respect is a two way street--do onto others as you would have done to you. AND REMEMBER DID IT HURT ANYONE JUST TO LAUGH AT THIS POOR OBNOXIOUS FOLKS. Just my opinion on the matter, which means nothing more or less than anyone younger or older than me. :p

Oh yea, and lets not forget most of these obnoxious people don't even visit this site.:hammer:

i understand when people say stuff about teens at disney. i am a teen and i see other teens acting very crazy and really dumb. i dont act that way because i see how stupid it looks and i get tired of it. i put up with it but not for long. :animwink:

rokcandy

I definitely agree w/ the idea that if you've grown up visiting Disney, you'll have much more respect and appreciation for everything/one than you might if you're 18 and are there for the first time, anxious to check out PI. I personally am polite and shy, so I am respectful of others anywhere I go, and Disney is no exception - especially because I am so thankful WDW is around - why ruin it for yourself and others @ such a wonderful place? :)

Dizknee_Phreek

it's understandable that people are annoyed by some immature teens at the World...heck, i am too...but these teens are EVERYWHERE. so if an adult says that Disney should not allow teens into the parks, then what does that say about everywhere else? should teens just be shipped to an island until they become adults? of course not!
annoying teens is something that adults have complained about for decades! and i'd wager that a lot of adults that argue today weren't angels when they were teens. not all, of course, but many.
as a teenager i can tell you that i know how to act properly and maturely. with a few exceptions, it doesn't matter where i go or who i'm with, i'll always act in a respectable manner! now, i'll admit, i do swear, but when i'm in Disney World, or any public place for that matter (heck, even at home), i don't go around screaming obscenities. for one thing, i know it can offend others. for another thing, i know kids can be around, and even though they hear that crap on tv and movies, i know it bothers some parets for their children to hear it in public. i remember it bothered me when i was little to hear it in public.
respect is the key, and unfortunately some teens forget that. but most likely they'll learn that with age. some just learn quicker than others. until then, annoying teens are just something we'll all have to deal with (or ignore, when possible)

kennyj29

Dizknee

First, I want to see the person who said teens shouldn't be allowed in Disney!!! I didn't think I read that anywhere in this forum. If they did, then they are not true Disney people because as we all know, Disney is for everyone. Unfortunatley, teens take the rap, Like you stated, I was a teen, just like you. I was respectful and even though I had my crazy moments just like all teens, I did know my place. I don't agree with anyone who says teens shouldn't be allowed in the parks, that is absolutely ridiculous!!! Adults, teens, kids, babies they are all a part of the Disney "magic" you take one part of that away and it just wouldn't be the same. As I've seen stated in here before, Adults are the worst. I as an adult have seen things that I wouldn't even say here, there have been many incidents where I wonder who is the adult and who it the child. Anyway, don't take anything personally, it just happens that teens get the rap most of the time, we've all been through it, and it will just always be that way. Teens are inbetween kids and adults and it's the most difficult stage to be in. I'm amazed at how many of you handle it so well. Not all teens are able to handle it as well as others but they will eventually. It just takes a little longer in some cases.!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom