Tech Help... Laptop Only Charges When Turned Off

PUSH

Original Poster
So I've tried a lot of troubleshooting via solutions listed on tech forums and websites, and nothing has worked. I'm trying one last effort to see if anyone here can help me before I take it into a repair shop.

As the title says, my laptop only charges while it's turned off. It's an HP Envy. It randomly started about a week ago, after having no problems before. There wasn't any recent update or anything that may have triggered it. While the laptop is on, the light next to the adapter isn't on at all - not white, not orange. Once it's shut all the way down it turns on orange while charging, then white when it's fully charged.

I have tried replacing the battery and A/C adapter. The battery replacement was brand new, and the A/C adapter was my mom's who has the exact same laptop and A/C adapter as me. I've tried uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery from the Device Manager. I've run all available updates on my laptop.

I did run a battery test on the laptop. It said it needed to be calibrated, but when I went to do that it said I needed my A/C adapter to be plugged in. The problem is, my laptop doesn't recognize that it's plugged in while the laptop is on.

The only other thing I haven't tried 100% is in the spoiler. I just didn't take the battery out, because the person said in another post that the battery doesn't have to come out. And since it's quite the process to remove the battery, I didn't have the time at that moment. Other than removing the battery, I tried it step for step.

Please perform below shown steps to resolve the issue:

Step 01. Click on the Start Button

Step 02. Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager

Step 03. Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left

Step 04. Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall

Note: This Battery driver will get re-installed automatically when you restart the Notebook again

Step 05. Please Shutdown the Notebook

Step 06. Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter

Step 07. Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute

Step 08. Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter

Step 09. Look for "Plugged In Charging" message on the Battery icon

Any other ideas??? To me it sounds like an issue with something internal in the laptop, but I'm no tech guru. I'm hoping someone here is.

Thank you, and I appreciate any efforts to help!

StarWarsGirl

So I've tried a lot of troubleshooting via solutions listed on tech forums and websites, and nothing has worked. I'm trying one last effort to see if anyone here can help me before I take it into a repair shop.

As the title says, my laptop only charges while it's turned off. It's an HP Envy. It randomly started about a week ago, after having no problems before. There wasn't any recent update or anything that may have triggered it. While the laptop is on, the light next to the adapter isn't on at all - not white, not orange. Once it's shut all the way down it turns on orange while charging, then white when it's fully charged.

I have tried replacing the battery and A/C adapter. The battery replacement was brand new, and the A/C adapter was my mom's who has the exact same laptop and A/C adapter as me. I've tried uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery from the Device Manager. I've run all available updates on my laptop.

I did run a battery test on the laptop. It said it needed to be calibrated, but when I went to do that it said I needed my A/C adapter to be plugged in. The problem is, my laptop doesn't recognize that it's plugged in while the laptop is on.

The only other thing I haven't tried 100% is in the spoiler. I just didn't take the battery out, because the person said in another post that the battery doesn't have to come out. And since it's quite the process to remove the battery, I didn't have the time at that moment. Other than removing the battery, I tried it step for step.

Please perform below shown steps to resolve the issue:

Step 01. Click on the Start Button

Step 02. Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager

Step 03. Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left

Step 04. Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall

Note: This Battery driver will get re-installed automatically when you restart the Notebook again

Step 05. Please Shutdown the Notebook

Step 06. Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter

Step 07. Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute

Step 08. Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter

Step 09. Look for "Plugged In Charging" message on the Battery icon

Any other ideas??? To me it sounds like an issue with something internal in the laptop, but I'm no tech guru. I'm hoping someone here is.

Thank you, and I appreciate any efforts to help!
I would also try in addition to reinstalling the battery driver is if you have a separate driver for you AC adapter to also try uninstalling that one as well (the one that says "Microsoft AC adapter"). To me, it kind of sound like an issue with the software since your computer is getting a charge when the device is powered off, but not when it's plugged in.
1668551517265.png
If you don't have that driver, that may be part of the problem.

My other question is if your laptop also has a USB-C port and if it is charging through that port. If it is...that would indicate to me that there is physical damage to your AC port. If not, then it's more likely to be a software (not all laptops have a USB-C port nor do all support charging through a USB-C port). Also (even though I do not believe that it is a physical issue) look for physical issues with your laptop. That may also be a clue as to what is going on.

For the future, whenever you do decide to buy a new laptop, steer clear of HP. They tend to always have issues. My go-to brand is Dell, although I've also had good experience with Lenovo (Dell definitely comes with less bloatware, though).

PUSH

Original Poster
I would also try in addition to reinstalling the battery driver is if you have a separate driver for you AC adapter to also try uninstalling that one as well (the one that says "Microsoft AC adapter"). To me, it kind of sound like an issue with the software since your computer is getting a charge when the device is powered off, but not when it's plugged in.
View attachment 678871
If you don't have that driver, that may be part of the problem.

My other question is if your laptop also has a USB-C port and if it is charging through that port. If it is...that would indicate to me that there is physical damage to your AC port. If not, then it's more likely to be a software (not all laptops have a USB-C port nor do all support charging through a USB-C port). Also (even though I do not believe that it is a physical issue) look for physical issues with your laptop. That may also be a clue as to what is going on.

For the future, whenever you do decide to buy a new laptop, steer clear of HP. They tend to always have issues. My go-to brand is Dell, although I've also had good experience with Lenovo (Dell definitely comes with less bloatware, though).
Thanks for the response. I tried uninstalling the AC Adapter, but it didn't fix it.

As for the USB-C, it does the same thing as the AC Adapter. It will flash like it's charging for a split second, but then stops. It charges while it's off.

I've always ever had HPs, and the only issues I've ever had with them have been my own fault (spilling water on them, etc). I have looked at Dell for replacements, though.

StarWarsGirl

Thanks for the response. I tried uninstalling the AC Adapter, but it didn't fix it.

As for the USB-C, it does the same thing as the AC Adapter. It will flash like it's charging for a split second, but then stops. It charges while it's off.

I've always ever had HPs, and the only issues I've ever had with them have been my own fault (spilling water on them, etc). I have looked at Dell for replacements, though.
My first laptop was an HP. It was fine. My second laptop the hard drive failed after just over a year of having it. That should be a less likely problem now due to the move from traditional hard drives to solid state drives, but it definitely shouldn't have happened. I worked in IT right after college...terrible reputation in the IT world. Which is why I fail to understand now why my assigned work computer is another HP. Which is now my second HP after the battery on the first one expanded and IT had to swap it out before it became a fire hazard. My work laptop is only a few months old, is an HP, and it's absolutely terrible. I miss the Lenovo's at my old job.

To me, the fact that the USB-C port is working tells me that it's a software issue; if it was a hardware issue, neither would work. The only other thing I can suggest is doing a hard reset on your laptop, as well as checking for BIOS updated via HP support software. Only update the BIOS through HP support; don't mess around on the BIOS otherwise unless you really know what you're doing.

You can also try reinstalling the drivers one more time after you check for BIOS updates and perform the reset. I would also check HP's website for your PC model to make sure you have all of their recommended drivers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom