Team Danny DeVito from Dumbo Project Nine - Kooky Clown Time

Sharon&Susan

Oh I had no idea there were guns involved… that would make the interactivity way better bc right now it’s just a maze walkthrough. Do you mind re-sending your most updated backstory just so I’m positive about what we’re doing lol?
Ah, thought that's what you were thinking with interactivity since Knott's already has done one or two mazes with the concept. Don't really feel like it's necessary to our concept, but if you want to add it it could be fun.

I'll re post a revised version of the story in a few hours if you don't mind.

goofyyukyuk

Ah, thought that's what you were thinking with interactivity since Knott's already has done one or two mazes with the concept. Don't really feel like it's necessary to our concept, but if you want to add it it could be fun.

I'll re post a revised version of the story in a few hours if you don't mind.
Yeah I thought it would just be a fun addition especially considering I wasn’t active in brainstorming, I didn’t know how much I could contribute elsewhere. But yeah, take your time! I’ll have most of the day tomorrow to work on this

ThemeParkPriest

I'll work on the logo for it then!
Sounds good! Everyone else, feel free to work on a logo as well. I’ll include them in the final map. If I haven’t heard that you’re including one by this time tomorrow, I’ll make up something (no promises it will be very good)!
And heyyyy kidssss! I’m claiming the name Binky the Clown.
For Mickeynerd, some options I’ll suggest: Ronald McDonald, Krusty, Grock, and Bozo.

PerGron

Here is the freak show maze. It’s not the scariest maze as it’s meant to have you making your way through the sideshow which are meant to be eerie as is. However, I think it still works as a scare Maze and features enough unique set pieces and characters to work.

I also included a few tricks I use when building my haunted houses like stimulating all the senses to cause disorientation then giving a reprieve right before the final act that serves to be even scarier as people get used to the comfort and familiar sights and sounds that when none of those things are present anymore, it’s even scarier

“Step right up! Come one, come all to see the most wonderful, the most mysterious, the most exciting and exhilarating collection of oddities and curiosities ever compiled in one place. For just one nickel you too can witness the terrifying Wolf Man, the grotesque nailface, and even the long dead Feejee Mermaid.” Hollers a barker outside of a series of circus tents pitched not far from the outskirts of town. Draped over the tents are posters featuring the acts of the freak show within. The jovial depictions of these freaks are meant to capture your imagination as you walk right up to the entrance of the maze (though no nickels must be paid to partake).

Once inside the queue, you wind through the corral and enter one of the tents under a large painted sign that reads “The Great American Sideshow and Freak Cavalcade” with a stylized series of carts and buggies being drawn by circus animals like elephants and horses as the freaks sit in the backs. Times read below advertising the cavalcade that happens around noontime every day the circus is in town. [Note: This is theming, there is no such daily cavalcade in the park, simply in universe.]

Once inside the tent, the “Entry of the Gladiators” plays on a nearby calliope sitting within the tent as swirling lights cause the pinstripe colors of the circus tents to bend and wave. The distorted vision and repeating music serve to disorient guests as they begin making their way through the maze. Throughout the maze these lights and the calliope’s endlessly looping rendition of the traditional circus song play, though the sound gets more and more distorted and creepy as you make your way through, changing from the jovial tune celebrating clowns and animals to a horrific and eerie harbinger of doom.

The first chamber features simply the calliope with some face masks along the wall featuring grotesque depictions of different freaks, including a Wolf man, a bearded woman, and a clown. However, one of these masks is actually a scare actor with their face pushed through a cutout in the wall. As guests walk by, the actor will reveal themself by opening their eyes and mouth and emitting a shriek, a cackling laugh, or simply by saying something to unsuspecting guests passing by.

Passing beyond the foyer room, guests enter the musty smell of the animal room. The soft padding of animals surrounds you as the March of the Gladiators begins to distort more and more as you make your way through. Passing through this macabre room, we see anomalies of nature and mutants displayed in cases or behind short ropes, specimens like a two-headed calf, a dwarf elephant, a chicken with no head, and the likes, some taxidermied, others, perhaps not even true. This room’s spinning lights illuminate the gruesome animal exhibits showcasing these freaks of nature, but this room also features a tall cage. Here, as guests pass by, the horrific sight is revealed as the Wolfman, a creature said to be half wolf, half man, leaps from the darkness. Luckily, he is contained within his cage as the hairy beast pulls at the bars rattling the entire thing. When he isn’t lunging at guests, you may see the wolfman gnawing on something that looks suspiciously like a human leg. The musty smell of the room swells up as we pass by the Feejee Mermaid, a creature believed to be the only representative of the aquatic monkeys. While we audience members know this taxidermy to be nothing more than a fishtail stitched to a mummified monkey, we are shocked when we pass by the mummified remains only to have the living thing jump out at us, as a scare actor of course.

After the Feejee Mermaid scare, we pass through the tent flaps into the next room, one where tightropes run along the ceiling, unicycles balance against the tent structure, and fog and mist push through. We hear a ringleader barking orders amongst the chaos of the distorted music and perhaps the honk of a horn or the trumpet of an elephant. This room houses a variety of freaks and curiosities, including a pair of conjoined twins, a bearded woman, a lobster man (a man with claws instead of hands), and a girl whose knees bend backwards, allowing her to run on all fours. While these oddities are not inherently scary, the use of noise, fog, flashing light, and bizarre prosthetics and props allow for this room to still create a few startling scares.

The next room is through another set of circus flaps, bending and winding through the corridor as more masks look on, creating a few more jump scares within the walls to get guests as they pass through. As you enter the next room, you’ll come across the serpent’s den. Here, the music becomes ambiguously exotic as pots full of animatronic cobras rise and back down. Here, we pass through snakes and spiders that crawl and slither along the walls through use of projection or animatronics as piles of gold and riches fill the halls. From the piles, guests will encounter the lizard man, a man whose skin is replaced entirely with scales and whose teeth are sharpened. He can pop out anywhere throughout the room, similar to the scare actors of the prior room, so it is unknown where this character appears. In fact, on some nights, there may be two actors of the same character, one waiting to scare you right after you recover from the first. This room also features a large snake puppet that can serve as a terrifying jump scare for those with ophidophobia.

Entering the flaps again and passing down a short hall, we appear in a room that is filled with torture equipment. Here, you will see beds of spikes, an Iron Maiden, stocks, a guillotine, and other terrifying tools of torture. Within this room is one of the most chilling encounters, though it relies less on jump scares than the others. This room actually features “nailhead,” a man who uses a hammer to pound a nail into his head. This effect is done using prosthetics and a false nail that collapses in on itself when being hit so that it doesn’t actually hit the scare actor as he pounds it in. However, in the disorienting swirling lights and the, now eerie again, distorted circus music, many guests will be convinced this illusion is real.

Passing once again through the flaps, we enter into an outdoor segment, seeing the circus tents both behind us and in front. Here, before reaching our next tent, we hear the distant calliope playing and the lights end, helping reorient us, but also give a sense of no comfort. The music and lights have been with us since the beginning, and despite the jump scares accompanying them, they almost added a sense of familiarity. Suddenly being stripped of that and being in the backlot of this traveling carnival in the dark of the night, it’s almost eerier than the interior of the tent. Here, in the darkness, scareactors move about, particularly those dressed as clowns. While we expected the freaks to frighten us, these rogue clowns don’t appear to be a part of the act. Some hold deadly weapons like axes or swords that they drag along the ground, jumping out at people every so often. We hear the calliope from ahead and we rush forward for that sense of security that lies within the tent, not knowing what actually lies before us.

Back within the dizzying lights and sounds, we have entered our final tent, one that houses pictures and paintings of the different people we’ve seen thus far. This room houses a massive puppet of a stone giant. Labeled the “Real Cardiff Giant” it is actually operated by 3 or 4 puppeteers behind the wall it leans up against, allowing the giant’s arms, upper body, and head to move. This figure is scary as it swipes at you, but it is also meant to serve as a distraction to draw in your eyes as other “freaks” pop out from the surrounding area to frighten you. Here, you may see a “ghost girl” with Snow White hair and pale skin, a “real” vampire, and “pig heads” (actors wearing realistic pig masks) amongst others that rotate in and out.

Once past the giant and out into the park’s normal night air, you can take in a sigh of relief as the barker’s voice from the entrance can be heard again and the calliope and flashing lights no longer assault your senses. “Step right up! Come one, come all to see the most wonderful, the most mysterious, the most exciting and exhilarating collection of oddities and curiosities ever compiled in one place.” And you walk away.

NateD1226

Alright gang! We got a little over 24 hours to wrap. Do we need any extra little details? Can I make some art? Anyone need help? Can I get us snacks??
If you have any pretzels, I'll take them!

Ok seriously, I'm doing good! I have been a bit busy this weekend so my 2nd scare zone isn't quite complete. However, I should have it up in the morning.

Sharon&Susan

Timber Mountain Log Ride: Beast Bash

Long ago, traveling performers went all over the country bringing with them something called a “Magic Lantern”. In reality, it was an early, primitive version of what would become known as the projector. Much like the circus their main purpose was to entertain, but some entertainers also set out to scare their audiences through visuals of ghastly things like demons, goblins, and other horrific creatures. What if a witch gave some real magic to a Magic Lantern and brought the audience into the world of these shows? This is what guests will experience on Timber Mountain Log Ride: Beast Bash.

Notes:
Most animatronics inside are redressed animatronic figures from the regular version of the Log Ride. With a few new ones added along the way (such as the witch and some of the additional wolves).

This ride will be family friendly during the day with no scares or gore. During Knott’s Scary Farm, a rotating cast of scare actors will appear throughout the ride to frighten guests. Any further description of the overlay will be for the Knott’s Scary Farm version.

After disembarking from the boarding station, guests will go up the lift hill in their log towards a witch’s cabin on the mountain. Black cats sit on the roof and multiple signs warn about trespassing of the Old Witch’s domain. Inside, the cobweb filled room is filled with corpse-like workmen all working for an unknown purpose. That is until just before they reach the end of the room where a projected image above the doorway shows various images of goblins and ghouls that foreshadows what will later be seen in the ride. In the next room, a witch holding her magic lantern as she sits on the log that the two living dead entities are slicing in half laughs evilly. Now going down a small waterfall, the logs pass by a corpse popping out to scare them!

Now outside, the logs get a great view of Knott’s Berry Farm until they enter a wooden tunnel decorated like the same magic lantern that was seen earlier. The witch's laugh is heard through the pitch black tunnel, this is the entrance to the many projected worlds of spooks and skeletons. First is “No Ghoul Dare Passes” (like the rest of the scenes in the ride, there will be a title card-like sign signifying the start of each film) , where (sheet-like) ghosts both humans and mules glow blue in the dark appearing to be working near their own graves from what can be seen in the pitch darkness. Two scare actors playing more zombie-like, but still glowing ghosts that appear to be animatronics at first waiting to surprise guests when they least expect it. Once again after going through the room, the logs exit back outside.

Outside weaving throughout the mountain, guests are now in “Pass Me a Bone” where skeletons are seen hanging from a boiler, a canal above guest’s heads, and stealing a hat from a regular mill employee. Going into the tunnel, a werewolf jumps out near the log signaling the beginning of “Full Moon, Empty Stomach” where when guests enter the caverns they hear a wolf’s howl and after going down a waterfall they see a man half-transitioned to becoming a wolf. In the next room, a pack of wolves scattered throughout the room looks ready to pounce on the camper in the center. Going into a cave, the guests will encounter a werewolf that jumps out at them for a large scare.

After passing the monster, the logs enter “The Beast Bash”, where goblins, werewolves, skeletons, demons, and ghosts all party together at the Boot Hill Graveyard. They’re seen doing various activities like a Frankenstein’s monster-like creature balancing on a log or a vampire trying to woo a lady werewolf, and many more funny activities. Inside a cabin, there’s an organ being played by the Phantom of the Opera inside of it which provides musical accompaniment to the scene.

Afterwards the log enters into a log mill where the cracking of fire is heard coming from the other side of the wall. The goblin-like lumber mill employees laugh sinisterly as the logs go up the lift hill. Before reaching the top, the witch from earlier (now a scare actor) makes a surprise jump scare.The logs reach the top, guests get their photo taken,and then swiftly the logs splashdown after a descent back outside the mountain. The logs go back to the boarding station that they came from where guests disembark.

ThemeParkPriest

Everything looks great! My only note would be to not take Paranormal Inc out because that maze is pretty awesome and has a lot of cool technical aspects to it. I would put Hypnos the Clown at #6 which is The Red Barn. It’s a pretty tame maze with nothing special so I would replace that.
Fair enough. I think the quality of the actual 2017 mazes should be the biggest factor in where our circus mazes should be located. Is it an issue that they aren’t concentrated in one area of the park? Our version of Knott’s Scary Farm is definitely getting a big boost in circus stuff, so I think we are justified in our placements.

NateD1226

Fair enough. I think the quality of the actual 2017 mazes should be the biggest factor in where our circus mazes should be located. Is it an issue that they aren’t concentrated in one area of the park? Our version of Knott’s Scary Farm is definitely getting a big boost in circus stuff, so I think we are justified in our placements.
No, I don’t think it’s a problem. Everything is coming together very well. You have been killing it as PM this round!

Sharon&Susan

Here's the revised backstory @goofyyukyuk:

The clown scientist, Dr. Quack always played... well a quack for his adoring audiences in the circus. But no one thought he was an actual mad scientist until he locked himself in the funhouse for months and strange disappearances of supplies, animals, and even many performers of the circus occurred. Many thought he was just depressed by how popular the recent addition to the Great American Circus, Hypnos the Clown, was and that all these disappearances were just coincidences. Until one day the Ringmaster was found dead with a literal pink slip signed by Dr. Quack in his pocket declaring him of “good health”.

The management of the Circus decided that enough was enough and called on the services of the Sheriff and his deputy to take a look. Inside they noticed that the fun house was now filled with death traps that they narrowly avoided. They also found a closet that had neatly organized body parts from both animals and people. The Sheriff fuming over this discovery went to confront the mad scientist. But both the Sheriff and his young deputy never found Dr. Quack as before they could reach his laboratory, they were killed alive by what Quack had been creating this time, an army of human-animal hybrids for the circus’s freak show

(IF WE DECIDE TO HAVE GUNS) The new sheriff of the town has recruited a militia of like-minded citizens (us) to finally get the job done. To kill Dr. Quack and his band of mutant freaks with all the six shooters he could find.

We now must make it through the "fun” house and do what that mad doctor’s other victims were unable to: confront Dr. Quack. But watch out he's gone insane and is willing to kill anyone who may get in his way.

DisneyFan18

@ThemeParkPriest here’s some stuff in italics that I think could be added to the write up of the maze, please let me know what you think.

A month ago, a group of young adults decided to venture into the abandoned circus tent on the outskirts of the city. Word on the street says that after a stunt gone wrong, madness took over, and none of the circus members were seen again. Only one of them managed to escape, his eyes were unfocused and his voice was delirious, he kept repeating three words: Hypnos the Clown. And now it’s your turn to venture into the mysterious circus tent and experience a maze so hypotonic you’ll not be able to take your eyes off it, literally or figuratively.

As guests enter the maze, they
are ushered into a portion of an abandoned, creepy circus tent. An out-of-tune circus organ plays at a painfully slow pace in the background. There are soda cups (and straws) and boxes of stale popcorn (made of styrofoam) on the ground. In the balcony seats are faceless mannequins, whose heads have a limited motion that follows the guests as they walk through the area. And on the center ring, there are broken-down clown cars, a clown cannon that appears to have been used recently and shattered mirrors.

A voice comes from the speakers, “This is Hypnos the Clown. You dare come to my circus? I must warn you that I’m a hypnotist. Things are a little different around here. I run the show and everyone must do what I tell them.”

A maniacal laugh is heard, and hypnotized clowns begin getting out of the clown cars and walking toward the guests. One of them has his hand on a fake flower. When he squeezes it, a brown powder (which blends in with the dirt when it falls to the ground) sprays out of it instead of the water that would be expected.

The next room is some sort of training room for strongmen. There are metal weights and bars around the room as well as some shape distorting mirrors. The only other person in the room besides the guests is an old lady wearing a black dress with makeup that looks cried over, she keeps whispering undistinguished words without looking at the guests once.

In another room there’s an animal tamer who has been locked in a cage. Through the use of an already-recorded noise that is playing on speakers, he is roaring and lunging at the guests like a lion. There are claw marks all over the place, but no sign of an actual animal. However, footsteps are heard as if something is circling around the guests, which should make them feel like they’re being hunted.

Next comes the high-flying acrobats room. The tightrope has been severed in the middle so that one half is attached to one tower and the other half is attached to the second tower. The room is full of discarded tricks that imply that a lot have gone terribly wrong. For example, there’s a spinning wheel with knives nailed into it, there are suspicious red spots around on that is exactly in the middle of it.

In the final room, the guests will meet Hypnos. He is an old, gray-haired clown wearing a dark red cloud outfit with yellow accents. Hypnos is holding a Golden Coin on a string. “My precious friends, now it is time for you to join my hypnotized circus. "Watch the pretty coin of gold and you shall do as you are told…” At that moment, out walks a non-hypnotized circus performer who puts a mirror in front of Hypnos. Hypnos continues, “You have fur, you are limp, you swing from trees like a happy chimp. Watch the pretty coin of gold, be a chimpanzee as you are told!" So rather than hypnotizing the guests, he hypnotizes himself. And then Hypnos acts as a chimp and is led off-stage by the other circus performer.​

ThemeParkPriest

@ThemeParkPriest here’s some stuff in italics that I think could be added to the write up of the maze, please let me know what you think.

A month ago, a group of young adults decided to venture into the abandoned circus tent on the outskirts of the city. Word on the street says that after a stunt gone wrong, madness took over, and none of the circus members were seen again. Only one of them managed to escape, his eyes were unfocused and his voice was delirious, he kept repeating three words: Hypnos the Clown. And now it’s your turn to venture into the mysterious circus tent and experience a maze so hypotonic you’ll not be able to take your eyes off it, literally or figuratively.

As guests enter the maze, they
are ushered into a portion of an abandoned, creepy circus tent. An out-of-tune circus organ plays at a painfully slow pace in the background. There are soda cups (and straws) and boxes of stale popcorn (made of styrofoam) on the ground. In the balcony seats are faceless mannequins, whose heads have a limited motion that follows the guests as they walk through the area. And on the center ring, there are broken-down clown cars, a clown cannon that appears to have been used recently and shattered mirrors.

A voice comes from the speakers, “This is Hypnos the Clown. You dare come to my circus? I must warn you that I’m a hypnotist. Things are a little different around here. I run the show and everyone must do what I tell them.”

A maniacal laugh is heard, and hypnotized clowns begin getting out of the clown cars and walking toward the guests. One of them has his hand on a fake flower. When he squeezes it, a brown powder (which blends in with the dirt when it falls to the ground) sprays out of it instead of the water that would be expected.

The next room is some sort of training room for strongmen. There are metal weights and bars around the room as well as some shape distorting mirrors. The only other person in the room besides the guests is an old lady wearing a black dress with makeup that looks cried over, she keeps whispering undistinguished words without looking at the guests once.

In another room there’s an animal tamer who has been locked in a cage. Through the use of an already-recorded noise that is playing on speakers, he is roaring and lunging at the guests like a lion. There are claw marks all over the place, but no sign of an actual animal. However, footsteps are heard as if something is circling around the guests, which should make them feel like they’re being hunted.

Next comes the high-flying acrobats room. The tightrope has been severed in the middle so that one half is attached to one tower and the other half is attached to the second tower. The room is full of discarded tricks that imply that a lot have gone terribly wrong. For example, there’s a spinning wheel with knives nailed into it, there are suspicious red spots around on that is exactly in the middle of it.

In the final room, the guests will meet Hypnos. He is an old, gray-haired clown wearing a dark red cloud outfit with yellow accents. Hypnos is holding a Golden Coin on a string. “My precious friends, now it is time for you to join my hypnotized circus. "Watch the pretty coin of gold and you shall do as you are told…” At that moment, out walks a non-hypnotized circus performer who puts a mirror in front of Hypnos. Hypnos continues, “You have fur, you are limp, you swing from trees like a happy chimp. Watch the pretty coin of gold, be a chimpanzee as you are told!" So rather than hypnotizing the guests, he hypnotizes himself. And then Hypnos acts as a chimp and is led off-stage by the other circus performer.​
Great, thanks for that! I was going to use some time today to add details, but I think I'll have fewer to add now!

NateD1226

Here is the second scare zone:

Beach Party Disaster

When The Great American Circus landed in Ghost Town, the performers discovered a boardwalk just around the corner where there was fun everywhere. Sadly, one of the curses made its way to the Boardwalk which made the clowns and circus performers stay on the boardwalk for the rest of their lives.

When guests first enter the scare zone, they are greeted by many props including overgrown sea kale and large sea animals These two things will have jumpscares where scarers will come out of the kale and the large animals will spew out gunk (none of it will reach the guests of course) while lighting effects happen at the same time.

The flat rides that won’t be open during the event will have projection mapping on them to show that they are weathered down and have been taken over by barnacles and other sea creatures. The projections can easily be turned so the attractions can be ridden in the daytime. As for the circus people, they will have on their circus attire but their head and parts of their body will also have sea life stuck on them.

In the main part of the scare zone, there will be planters disguised as the ocean where sea creatures, like sharks and squids, pop out and spray some water. This is achieved by a simple, yet scary-looking animatronic that will pop out when a sensor is triggered.

The soundtrack playing will be a haunted version of beach and tropical songs. There will be other effects like fog and water squirters. The whole scare zone will make guests feel like they have been transported to a haunted beach day.​

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom