TDS Journey to the center of the earth and 20000 Leagues artwork !

brb1006

Can I point out Tom here had James Cameron beat by a whole 8 years! He was busy creating immersive, integrated, and lifelike bioluminescent environments nearly a decade before Avatar ever appeared. The link in the OP talks about some of the detail that this single ride took in presenting a science anchored fictional world to explore. This care was all for a single impactful show scene. The obvious route was careless eye candy, but instead a whole mythology was created explaining the logic behind this bioluminescent world. All for one stinkin show scene.

Remind me again why we need James Cameron?
As I mentioned, we need more Imaginners that is this creative.

nevol

Now you're just depressing me...

Any creative getting a job at Universal should know what they're in for. Unlike Disney they were always about IP. It's kind of their thing.

Scary. I've always liked to pretend that TOT was of the contemporary, when clearly it is not.

Quinnmac000

Any creative getting a job at Universal should know what they're in for. Unlike Disney they were always about IP. It's kind of their thing.

Not fully true, you forgot they were were making a entirely original park with no IPs forOkinawa back in 2013, add in Volcano Bay being designed back in 2008 with No IPS, and they have plans, as well as Space Fantasy being 100% original and designed by UC. Yes a majority is IP based but UC itself its not limited to IP based projects.

WDW1974

I was just informed of this article. This is Tom Thordarson. I want to thank you fro the wonderful recognition and review. This was a very special attraction for me. I lived and dreamed this ride from a white piece of paper through development of the art Direction models and character development. Installation and fied art direction was done by Gwen Ballentyne. It's brought me a lot of joy to hear of the success of this ride. I had littl eto work with...they pretty much gave me full reign and just to loosely attribute the story off the books by Jules Verne. Again, thanks for the kind words! ~~Tom

Truly great to have you here, Tom.

I have to tell you a story about JTTCoTE at TDS. I visited that amazing park for the first time in late 2010 and rode Journey 4-5 times in the four day visit to the resort. But on the first day we were in the queue and about 10 minutes to boarding when there was some rumbling and a gentle shaking (barely noticed that) and after a few minutes the work lights came on and announcements were made, all in Japanese. It was obvious the attraction had technical issues. I was very disappointed as this was one of my most eagerly awaited attractions and seeing that volcano rising above and spewing fire was unlike anything I had ever seen in any theme park.

They started evacuating the ride and we just walked out, determined to ride later in the day. We headed over to Indy, an Anaheim favorite, only to find it too was down. We decided to have lunch early and then decide what to do. ... Well, we had an amazing day. And got our first two rides on Journey out of the way with almost no waits.

At dinner that night we met up with friends who are Tokyo locals -- and TDR APers -- as well as a friend from Florida who was also visiting for dinner at Zambini Brothers and as we all sat with our food, the first question directed at us was "So, where were you guys when the quake struck?"

We were dumbfounded. We had no idea, but a 6.0 (not a little one) earthquake had struck under the seabed not all that far off the coast of Tokyo Bay. Journey -- and every major attraction -- shut down. But since there was no panic, no shouting, no anything ... we had no clue. We truly thought the shaking and rumbling were simply part of the amazing queue and pre-show experience. I had never been in any quake before, despite living in California part time for almost eight years, and here we were in a big one and we thought it was simply great work by WDI.

I have mentioned this to a few people in Imagineering in the past, but no one who actually worked on the ride. That should tell you a bit about how successful you guys and gals were in delivering a true world class product.

Sadly, I haven't seen much of that from Disney (well, almost none at all in the FL swamps) of late. I do have hope for Pandora at DAK as it really looks impressive as is.

Anyway, thought you'd enjoy that anecdote. And I'm headed back to TDR again later this year! Glad to have you here and hope you drop in regularly.

Last edited:

Robbiem

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Tom. This is a very interesting thread.

I was lucky enough to visit Tokyo and Journey to the centre of the earth was my favourite ride, I loved the design and even the way the ride vehicle incorporated an umbrella holder for the Japanese weather!

I hope to go back soon with my new knowledge so I can see things now I know more about the design

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom