TDL Trip Report

Philo

Original Poster
Well, I've been back from TDL for a couple of weeks now so I figured it's time to write a report.

General Notes

It was nowhere near as busy as I had expected. TDL is supposedly busy all year round but I don't think I saw any queue longer than 30 minutes (space mountain). Most of the time, even the most popular rides only had a 10 minute wait. I'm putting this down to it being quite wet weather and that we visited during the week prior to Golden Week. Perhaps everyone was waiting till the next day?

Almost everything is in English too. This is a great help to me but it somehow felt a little wrong too - perhaps I was just used to Tokyo by the time we got to TDL. Anyway, if you see a menu, a sign or anything else, you will find it in English too. Many of the attractions (including the parades and nighttime shows) also had English audio although none of the shows and performances did.

Many of the staff will speak some level of English but my top tip for visiting Japan is to learn a little Japanese. It really does help!

The place is immaculate. As with pretty much all of Japan, the place is kept spotless and running perfectly. The crowds (which were admittedly quite small) were managed well and the whole place had a much better feel than any other Disney Park I've been too (which includes WDW, DL and DLP). I think I only heard one crying child, only saw a couple of stollers and I was never stood on once!

I didn't see anyone using flash photography on rides at all! People were taking pictures on some but the flash was always disabled! :sohappy:

Right, on with the Report.

Checking in a getting to the first park:
We arrived at TDL fresh from a week in Tokyo. It's super easy to get to with only a couple of changes on the Subway. Upon arrival you enter into Ikspiari (essentially DTD / Disney Village) which is also the location of the Disney Ambassador hotel.

Checking in to our Hotel (Miracosta, located at DisneySeas) could be done from a Guest Relations location in Ikspiari which meant that we basically arrive, checked in and left our luggage to be delivered to the hotel within minutes. The staff were super helpful and got everything sorted pretty quickly.

One funny thing about TDL is that when you prebook 2, 3 or 4 day tickets, you need to specify what you are doing on the first two days and you can't change that! We specified we would visit DisneySeas on the first day so we jumped on the Monorail and headed to the park.

A quick note on the Monorail - there is only one line and it runs in a continuous loop from Ikspiari -> Disneyland -> Partner Hotels -> DisneySeas then back to Ikspiari. This only goes one way but a whole loop will only take around 15 minutes and trains arrive every 6 minutes (or 4 during busier times of the day).

The monorails are, in short, better than those at WDW or DL. Here are a few pics!

P1020750.jpg

Yep, those are Mickey shaped windows!

P1020753.jpg

Much more comfortable!

Next up - Arriving at DisneySeas!

Philo

Original Poster
Day 1 - DisneySeas

Sorry it's taken a little while to get these written - would would have thought that going away for a couple of weeks would leave me with a backlog of work?!?

One thing I forgot to mention about the monorail, if your not staying on-site, you have to pay to use it! Seems a little strict, especially if your a large family but I don't think it would cause much of a problem.

Day 1 - DisneySeas

Using the monorail from Ikspiari, you go via Disneyland and of course, the disneyland hotel:

P1020755.JPG

P1020756.JPG

P1020757.JPG

From there you go to the partner hotels (all of which looked pretty impressive although I only got this photo):

P1020759.JPG

And then finally onto Disneyseas and The MiraCosta
As you approach DisneySeas on the monorail you get an amazing view of the MiraCosta. My excitment levels we're pretty high because I knew that a few hours from that point, I would be checking in to this fantastic place.

Entering the park is pretty much the same as every other Disney park (i.e. bag check and then the usual ticket machines. No biometric checks though). As soon as your through the ticket gate you are greeted with this (but probably without my wife)

P1020760.JPG

The globe is huge, has water running down it and rotates. The area around the globe is also spectacular. I beleive some rooms in the MiraCosta overlook this area which is a view I would be perfectly happy with.

P1020765.JPG

Moving into the park a little bit more, you walk under the MiraCosta and into a tunnel, similar to DLP.

P1020768.JPG

At the end of the tunnel you come to a wide open area (used for shows and parades) leading onto the lagoon. You are also greeted with this impressive view.

P1020770.JPG

We were pretty hungry by now and whilst crowds looked ok (and they turned out to be very, very manageable), we thought we would grab an early lunch and hit the rides whilst everyone else was eating. The first couple of restaurants we looked at (both CS and TS) we're no good as my wife is vegetarian, this was a bit of a problem throughout Japan (as we had expected) but no major issues. The third place we looked at (still only about 100m from the entrance tunnel) was a winner. Food was ok but the level of detail in a simple CS restaurant was very impressive.

Tokyo2010

P1020771.JPG

P1020772.JPG

After dinner we headed outside and were greeted by the Spring Parade. This is a very typical Disney affair but was made very impressive by the use of boats on the lagoon and the fact that you could see dancers everywhere.

P1020773.JPG

P1020786.JPG

Here's a character you don't see too often:
P1020781.JPG

After the parade had finished we ran to get a few shots of the boat leaving

P1020788.JPG

P1020790.JPG

and looking back on the MiraCosta

P1020791.JPG

The crowds look crazy in that picture but it really wasn't the case. As I said before, many rides were walk on.

Interesting we also noticed a strange smell here. It turned out to be Popcorn which they have in many places and in many different flavours including Honey, Strawberry, milk tea, curry and caramel! My wife was very happy!

We started heading towards mystery island.

P1020792.JPG

And we were greeted with this

P1020793.JPG

P1020795.JPG

P1020796.JPG

P1020797.JPG

We decided now was a good time to pick up as fastpass for Journey to the Centre of the Earth (despite only having a 20 minute wait) and ride 20,000 leagues (which had no wait at all).

20,000 leagues was interesting. Far more comfortable that the DL subs which each sub holding 6 people (3 groups of 2) and all pointing in different directions with their own porthole so it felt like a private experience. The downside was that you we're very aware that the subs were not submerged at any point, at all. The effects were nice and might convince a child but that's it. Still, the ride was fantastic and having never ridden the original version before Nemo came to play, I can't comment too much other than to say it was very enjoyable. Each group of 2 also has a controllable spotlight which kept me entertained!

After riding 20,000 we headed a little further into the park and came across Storm Rider. This was very, very good and whilst I couldn't really tell what was going on due to the language barrier, I had a great time.

P1020801.JPG

Just outside of Storm Rider you get this view.

P1020798.JPG

Wow, you really are in the sea right? Well, not really. I later discovered that this is another classic Disney trick and behind those barriers is actually a dual carriage way and the monorail track (which they dip below the barrier for the visible area). Very impressive though!

Now onto the Electric Railway which is a one way ride to the American Waterfront. I didn't know that at the time but enjoyed it anyway.

P1020800.JPG

You were warned!

P1020802.JPG

And of course, Tower of Terror

P1020805.JPG

After arriving at the water front we took a boat ride around the various lands

P1020807.JPG

P1020808.JPG

P1020809.JPG

P1020811.JPG

P1020814.JPG

P1020815.JPG

and the MiraCosta again

P1020816.JPG

P1020822.JPG

It started to rain pretty heavily after the boat ride

P1020832.JPG

So we decided to go to ride Journey to the Center of the Earth but got a little distracted by Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull

P1020834.JPG

This was very well done with an excellent queue. On the whole, I would say better than the DL version but I still prefer Dinosour (even with all it's short comings).

Finally, we rode JttCotE and what a ride that is. Very, very cool but somehow not at all as I had expected (I had purposefully avoided reading too much about the ride or seeing pictures so I didn't spoil the experience as I once did with EE).

After that, we headed back to the Miracosta and checked in. The checking process was a little slow but it was obviously a very busy time. Every guest who checked in was personally shown to their room by a porter which was a nice touch. Even better, the fantastic lady who took us to our room pointed out hidden Mickeys along the way, chatted about other Disney parks around the world, told us a few tips and was generally very, very friendly. Once we reached the room she played a few more hidden Mickey games with us, showed us around a bit, made sure we had all the show times etc and even ran off to get a Happy Birthday badge for my wife.

Don't get me wrong, the CM's at all parks are amazing but those in TDL are something else. Everyone of them was super, super nice and friendly.

So, the room was larger than I expected, done to a very high standard and with a wet room rather than a normal shower.

The view from the room was great. We didn't pay for the best view in the house but I dont think we would have got much better than we did. We could see the park entrance (and hence watch the parades) as well as seeing a lot of the park, including Mt Promethious (sorry, I cant' spell!). Open the window and the sounds of the park flood in which really makes you feel like you are right in the middle of things.

The hotel as a whole was just incredible and done to a very, very high standard. I don't have any pictures to do it justice but just think how a palace might look - your getting close.

P1020847.JPG

P1020846.JPG

The parks get very quiet after this (and remained this way for the next two days - so quiet that most fastpass machines were turned off!) so we spent time doing pretty much what we wanted whenever we wanted as well as finding time to eat excellent sushi and watch the nighttime spectacular BraviSeamo (I'll post some pics later). This show was a little confusing with no real narrative other than good vs evil but it was still enjoyable.

And that's it for day 1. I do have more pictures if anyone really wants them although I'm afraid my photography skills aren't up to much.

If anyone wants more details about any of the rides then let me know. I'm afraid that I didn't ride ToT though at my wife's request (I must be the best husband ever right?)

Coming up in day two - Disneyland and the all important Pooh's Honey Hunt

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Thanks for the trip reports. The theming at TDL never ceases to impress me....

Philo

Original Poster
I'm back! Sorry about the HUGE wait - I totally forgot to post the rest of this. My memory is terrible so I'll look through the photo albums and I'll try to piece together the last two days of our trip... I know at least one of them involved lot's of very nice sushi!

Philo

Original Poster
I've also just realised that the photo's aren't visible anymore....

You can see the whole albums here: http://picasaweb.google.com/PhilipCrabtree/TokyoAmy?authkey=Gv1sRgCInyubu-7NHjkgE&feat=directlink

and here: http://picasaweb.google.com/PhilipCrabtree/Tokyo2010?authkey=Gv1sRgCO-KtoDO_curXA&feat=directlink

Sorry, there a little bit disorganised with parts of the TDL photos in different folders in amongst other pictures of Tokyo - my wife's camera also managed to forget the date several times which doesn't help either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom