TDL: Meet the World

bearboysnc

Original Poster
Maybe a new attraction for the pretty boring Japanese World Showcase?

TDL: Tomorrowland Attraction Closure
According to a number of Japanese Disney fan sites, the Tokyo Disneyland Tomorrowland theater attraction, "Meet the World", will close for good on June 30th, 2002.

The "Carousel of Progress"-type show, which featured a crane narrating a simplified version of the history of Japan to a young boy and girl, was originally designed to be part of the Japan Pavillion at Walt Disney World's Epcot theme park.

The show itself featured scenes of Japanese history with a number of audio-animatronic figures on stage with a movie screen in the back. During the 19-minute show, the audience seating area rotates from stage area to stage area in four sections.

It was brought to TDL but had average attendance and popularity since its opening 19 years ago. With popularity waning and OLC stockholder dis-interest in the attraction, the "Meet the World" 200-seat theater, had been a popular for warmth during winter and a cool room for summer.

This is the second Tomorrowland attraction closure announced recently. "Visionarium" (TDL's "TimeKeeper") will close in September and is scheduled to be replaced by "Buzz Lightyear's AstroBlaster" in early 2004. No replacement has been announced for "Meet the World" yet.

More details to come.

JoeInJpn
http://www.jtcent.com

Firebird

Does that mean EPCOT might get Meet the World, it desperately needs another attraction (not a film) in World Showcase.

General Grizz

All WDW needs is another CoP!:lol:

Actually, Meet the World was intended for Japan at EPCOT, but it was scrapped and used in Tokyo Disneyland. Let's hope for it!

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Meet the World, was designed for Epcot and TDL. I remember when the attraction was being designed and talked about, it was a reverse of the CoP, meaning that the audience sat in the center sections,withthe stages around the outside ring of the theatre. Having never been to TDL, I don't know if this design approach was actually used, or if it ended up being set up like the CoP. Has anyone out there been through the Meet the World attraction at TDL? If so, how about some insight.

the_snow_prince

I really don't see this comming to Epcot anytime soon. First, it seems that Epcot is now more inetested in building thrill rides like Test Track and Mission Space in Future World. The only thing I would expect out of World Showcase anytime soon is new enetrtanment, which it's always changing and maybe a new movie in China, which has been rumored forever, and possibly a new version of Soarin' over... somewhere.

pheneix

It would be awfully nice of Disney to bring MTW over here, since they even built the show building back in 1982...

ToTBellHop

Japan would have to sponsor the move (it is their pavillion and they pay for half of everything that happens to it). I don't honestlys see them sponsoring their pavillion receiving a hand-me-down from their other park.

Mouse3268

Originally posted by pheneix
It would be awfully nice of Disney to bring MTW over here, since they even built the show building back in 1982...

That's cool. Does anybody have a pic of it. Also why wasn't put in EPCOT.:king:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom