TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

Next Big Thing

Quickly? At Disney? Lol
Disney does things quick only when there's money directly involved. Disney Springs (I know PI sat empty for 5 years, that's not what i'm talking about), DVC, Frozen Summer Fun, and corporate sponsorship redos. All have a substantial amount of money to be made so they get built/open quickly.

Disney doesn't quite see things the same with attractions if there's no sponsor. They then are relying solely on merch and extra gate clicks to make it a worthwhile investment. The bean counters don't like taking risks like that (although they'll shell out billions for MM+ no problem...)

TheGhostWithTheMost

Just want to post that Great Movie Ride has some of the worst cast members I've seen. By far the most awful experience I've ever had on that ride today. The gangsters are horrific actors and clearly have had zero training in the performance world. Everyone was laughing at how bad it was. This type of experience has been going on for a few years now. It's absurd. This just happened to be the absolute worst. A true embarrassment.
Those cast make less than Walmart workers. They make $9 an hour. They are told by management over and over again NOT to act. I know people who have gotten in trouble for "acting too much." They are suppose to just "mark it" and go through the motions. Because Disney doesn't want it to be an acting role (even though it is) because Disney doesn't want to pay them what they deserve. Don't you dare blame the Cast, most of which don't even get to pick if they go to GMR or not, for Disney refusing to pay what they deserve.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

Those cast make less than Walmart workers. They make $9 an hour. They are told my management over and over again NOT to act. I know people who have gotten in trouble for "acting too much." They are suppose to just "mark it" and go through the motions. Because Disney doesn't want it to be an acting role (even though it is) because Disney doesn't want to pay them what they deserve. Don't you dare blame the Cast, most of which don't even get to pick if they go to GMR or not, for Disney refusing to pay what they deserve.
Yes, it should be an entertainment role, but Disney is too cheap to pay an extra $4-5 or so/hour. This is a ride in the same park as the recently shuttered American Idol Attraction (Equity roles) and Backlot tour (frontline $9). I'm pretty sure they have a little extra cash lying around to pay these people right.

YodaMan

Those cast make less than Walmart workers. They make $9 an hour. They are told my management over and over again NOT to act. I know people who have gotten in trouble for "acting too much." They are suppose to just "mark it" and go through the motions. Because Disney doesn't want it to be an acting role (even though it is) because Disney doesn't want to pay them what they deserve. Don't you dare blame the Cast, most of which don't even get to pick if they go to GMR or not, for Disney refusing to pay what they deserve.

^this. And the same goes for Jungle Cruise and Kilimanjaro Safaris. It irks me when people complain about people in those roles. They have jobs that should very well be "Entertainment," but are instead frontline cast members like at every single attraction. They are instructed how to deliver their spiels and get in trouble when they deviate too much or make it too original. Please don't ever be upset if it seems like they're not trying, because more than likely they're trying as hard as they can without risking getting fired.

TheGhostWithTheMost

I thought Jungle Cruise is a acting role? The CM there makes the same as the CM pressing the CoP buttons?
The Jungle Cruise spiel guide starts with a page that literally says that the cast members are not stand up comedians and that the skipper shouldn't "act" funny.

Equity came in a few years ago (well...more than a few years ago) and tried to demand that these roles be entertainment and audition only (as they should be). So Disney started to train that the Cast Members "spiel" and not that Cast Members "entertain." Cast at Jungle/GMR are trained to say their spiel...and that's it. Anything else (especially at GMR) can get Cast in trouble.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The Jungle Cruise spiel guide starts with a page that literally says that the cast members are not stand up comedians and that the skipper shouldn't "act" funny.

Equity came in a few years ago (well...more than a few years ago) and tried to demand that these roles be entertainment and audition only (as they should be). So Disney started to train that the Cast Members "spiel" and not that Cast Members "entertain." Cast at Jungle/GMR are trained to say their spiel...and that's it. Anything else (especially at GMR) can get Cast in trouble.
Loss of show to fight the union.

Meh.

YodaMan

Loss of show to fight the union.

Meh.

KInd of. It just gets super complicated to be honest. If the roles become "Entertainment" instead of "Attractions," then it changes everything about how things are handled. All the employees in that role would get a pay increase, but it also means that everyone going forward would have to audition for the role AND everyone currently in the role would have to audition to keep their role. And since people are not being trained to be entertainers, a lot of people currently in those positions would be displaced. And when operations like Kilimanjaro have nearly 300 statused cast members, that's a lot of people to go through and audition and re-train and pay more, etc. Not saying one way or the other how the situation *should* be handled, but just trying to explain why Disney probably finds it easier to not deal with the situation at all.

Haymarket2008

Those cast make less than Walmart workers. They make $9 an hour. They are told by management over and over again NOT to act. I know people who have gotten in trouble for "acting too much." They are suppose to just "mark it" and go through the motions. Because Disney doesn't want it to be an acting role (even though it is) because Disney doesn't want to pay them what they deserve. Don't you dare blame the Cast, most of which don't even get to pick if they go to GMR or not, for Disney refusing to pay what they deserve.
That's unfortunate. It really is. But a horrible experience is a horrible experience. I've seen that ride be amazing, and to see it like I did the other night is beyond mind boggling. Maybe it's management, but the people over at Jungle Cruise are doing great stuff, so I don't see the excuse.

Goofyernmost

That's unfortunate. It really is. But a horrible experience is a horrible experience. I've seen that ride be amazing, and to see it like I did the other night is beyond mind boggling. Maybe it's management, but the people over at Jungle Cruise are doing great stuff, so I don't see the excuse.
I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "horrible" experience. Perhaps one less enthusiastic then others, but to me it is either well done or comical in itself. Jungle Cruise when operated the way Disney has always wanted it to run, could just as easily be done via pre-recorded broadcasting accompanied by the captains mouthing the words. The jokes are old and to many of us, heard a million times. I'm sure we are far more picky about the performance then others are. The ride itself is not to be taken seriously and because of that, why are we taking the Captains seriously? Loosen the sphincter and enjoy the trip. Even the worse I have ever seen (that would be about a 90 year old female gangster on the GMR) was at best unconvincing, but, was at least amusing.

Haymarket2008

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "horrible" experience. Perhaps one less enthusiastic then others, but to me it is either well done or comical in itself. Jungle Cruise when operated the way Disney has always wanted it to run, could just as easily be done via pre-recorded broadcasting accompanied by the captains mouthing the words. The jokes are old and to many of us, heard a million times. I'm sure we are far more picky about the performance then others are. The ride itself is not to be taken seriously and because of that, why are we taking the Captains seriously? Loosen the sphincter and enjoy the trip. Even the worse I have ever seen (that would be about a 90 year old female gangster on the GMR) was at best unconvincing, but, was at least amusing.
I actually would call it horrible. People aren't paying for the low quality stuff going on there. No need to be rude, buddy.

Goofyernmost

I actually would call it horrible. People aren't paying for the low quality stuff going on there. No need to be rude, buddy.
The jungle Cruise is meant to be a farce. Make it into a Greek tragedy if you want, but, it was designed as a fun, totally non-serious ride through not even closely replicated areas of the world.

And I wasn't being rude, I was making a factual, general statement. If the shoe doesn't fit, don't put it on. If you want to find a way to make it horrible, be my guest. I prefer to just sit back and enjoy the silliness. High quality was never aimed for nor achieved. How many high quality ways are there to say... "And now the backside of water"?

Haymarket2008

The jungle Cruise is meant to be a farce. Make it into a Greek tragedy if you want, but, it was designed as a fun, totally non-serious ride through not even closely replicated areas of the world.

And I wasn't being rude, I was making a factual, general statement. If the shoe doesn't fit, don't put it on. If you want to find a way to make it horrible, be my guest. I prefer to just sit back and enjoy the silliness. High quality was never aimed for nor achieved. How many high quality ways are there to say... "And now the backside of water"?
You misunderstood me, man. I'm talking about Great Movie Ride. I love the silliness of the Jungle Cruise, the jokes speak for themselves and make me laugh almost always. I'm speaking of a terrible experience I had on Great Movie Ride. Totally different ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom