TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

The Rocketeer

from the construction photos, and the fact that one retracted, they would have to be lightweight
dhs-building-movie-ride.jpg

see how light the whole of the main roof is...
The main roof which is being hoisted in this picture is actually very, very heavy. It sits an inch or two away from where they wanted it to be placed. You can find out more from this video. Skip 8:10 to get info about the Theatre.

Last edited:

dstrawn9889

The main roof which is being hoisted in this picture is actually very, very heavy. It sits an inch or two away from where they wanted it to be placed. You can find out more from this video. Skip 8:10 to get info about the Chinese Theatre.

i meant that it was accomplished with a medium weight lattice boom crane, and not a monster like is needed for ridiculously heavy picks. also note the smaller extension boom crane which looks to have made a pick on the 'retractable' spire

The Rocketeer

i meant that it was accomplished with a medium weight lattice boom crane, and not a monster like is needed for ridiculously heavy picks. also note the smaller extension boom crane which looks to have made a pick on the 'retractable' spire
The roof is 22 tons. That's still a lot. We don't have to worry about the roof obviously. You're probably right about the spires. It COULD be an overnight job.

Goofyernmost

from the construction photos, and the fact that one retracted, they would have to be lightweight
dhs-building-movie-ride.jpg

see how light the whole of the main roof is...
I'm going to stir thing up, not intentionally, but, I know how people react. I'm going to do that by saying that if they never put the spires back, it wouldn't break my heart. Since I first saw them all I could think was that there was a sale on spires so they slapped them up there. I think they look ugly. Yes, I know it's a copy of the Chinese Theater in Hollywood, but, weird is the norm in Hollywood. Basically, I just think it looks better without them. I don't mind if they come back, but, I could live without them.

Rob562

Hmmm... They didn't file permits for other attractions when they were upgrading their projectors to digital, did they? (Also, I think GMR's pre-show and finale have been digital for a while now, haven't they?):

This just leaves a *new* projector somewhere in/around the attraction for....something...

Some kind of new surface-mapped projection effect? (The Annubis scene, perhaps? Or Aliens?)

A projection show on the outside of the Theater like at the MK would require projectors elsewhere and not actually in the theater building (unless they're being mounted in the front wings shining on the central part of the Theater...
Maybe some new projection effect for the Frozen summer fireworks stuff?

-Rob

Haymarket2008

Just want to post that Great Movie Ride has some of the worst cast members I've seen. By far the most awful experience I've ever had on that ride today. The gangsters are horrific actors and clearly have had zero training in the performance world. Everyone was laughing at how bad it was. This type of experience has been going on for a few years now. It's absurd. This just happened to be the absolute worst. A true embarrassment.

aladdin2007

Just want to post that Great Movie Ride has some of the worst cast members I've seen. By far the most awful experience I've ever had on that ride today. The gangsters are horrific actors and clearly have had zero training in the performance world. Everyone was laughing at how bad it was. This type of experience has been going on for a few years now. It's absurd. This just happened to be the absolute worst. A true embarrassment.

Thats really too bad, you probably hit a bad cycle. It seems hit and miss. A couple weeks ago we had a great group who was really into it.

mmalloy56

Same thing happened to us back in October. Our ride operator was fine, but the cowboy ... good lord. Zero enthusiasm and so soft-spoken we could barely make out what he was saying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom