Tarzan Rocks show?!? what happened?

PKD

..... with some of the original music, from "Tarzan Rocks" (written by Phil Collins) did in fact go to Broadway. I will admit my original post, if taken literally, was a little off.

I don't recall Phil Collins writing new songs for Tarzan Rocks. They used the songs from the movie and reworked them for the half hour show. I'm not sure what you mean by they took songs from the show to go to NYC. The songs came from the movie and then new songs were added for NYC.

Tarzan Rocks wasn't like the other live movie shows at Disney. It didn't tell the story of the Tarzan, it was more a concert style show.

KCBroadway

I never had an opportunity to see Tarzan Rocks at Animal Kingdom, but I did get to see Tarzan on Broadway last weekend and it was INCREDIBLE!!! All of the original music from the movie was used as well as new songs Phil Collins created specifically for the show. Also - Josh Strickland, who plays Tarzan was incredible and absolutely gorgeous. Just an FYI! :lol:

ToTBellHop

I never had an opportunity to see Tarzan Rocks at Animal Kingdom, but I did get to see Tarzan on Broadway last weekend and it was INCREDIBLE!!! All of the original music from the movie was used as well as new songs Phil Collins created specifically for the show. Also - Josh Strickland, who plays Tarzan was incredible and absolutely gorgeous. Just an FYI! :lol:
I believe you are the first person to have ever liked Tarzan on Broadway. Congrats, Disney. You have Fan #1.

PKD

All of the original music from the movie was used as well as new songs Phil Collins created specifically for the show. :lol:

I really do enjoy some of the new songs he created for the show. I'd like to see it sometime to see the set/lighting design. However I heard the show over all is kinda lacking...

KCBroadway

The set/costumes/lighting are defintely not as elaborate as The Lion King or Beauty and the Beast, but I think they did a great job overall. The use of aerial choreography was great and the performers were wonderful. It also had a VERY imaginitive opening that was very different and eye catching. I got to see all the original cast and I was very impressed at how well they all sounded live. I actually thought they sounded just as good as on the CD - if not better. My husband was with me and he really enjoyed it too. He wasn't as much of a fan though because he didn't enjoy seeing Josh Strickland in his loin cloth as much as I did - ha ha!:ROFLOL:

Bobster

For those interested, here are the final 6 minutes of the last ever Tarzan Rocks performance from January 21, 2006, at 3:15 pm. Note that this Windows Media video is 94 MB and just over 6 minutes long. The energy in the crowd (looked like lots of family and friends of cast) for this final show was amazing!

Tarzan Rocks Video

tarzan-rocks-finale.jpg

PianoManKD

Account Suspended
I believe you are the first person to have ever liked Tarzan on Broadway. Congrats, Disney. You have Fan #1.

Actually the show is brilliant. And Phil Collins is probably the greatest song writer of all time so.

PS - I'm fan number 1

And if it sucks so bad, why is it still selling out? Someone needs to get their facts straight.:brick:

JikoMarie

It really wasn't. I saw it once and at the time decided it would be the only attraction at Disney World I would never see again (and yet I love the movie and Phil Collins' songs).

As someone else said, I'm sure it is a matter of personal preference. I heard that it was pretty extreme and I like the sound of that.

I don't recall Phil Collins writing new songs for Tarzan Rocks. They used the songs from the movie and reworked them for the half hour show. I'm not sure what you mean by they took songs from the show to go to NYC. The songs came from the movie and then new songs were added for NYC.

I think you're misunderstanding what the poster is saying. He/she meant that they took the songs from Tarzan and made a musical. And that all the music is by Phil Collins. I think that's pretty straightforward.

I don't think that this is true at all. There are lots of people who enjoyed the show.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Tarzan Rocks was mediocre at best and IMHO ruined the tranquility of DAK. It was loud and obnoxious with all the skaters and loud music. It really had no place in DAK other than it was based on a movie set in a jungle with animals. The rock music and extremem sports aspect made it more appropriate for the studios.

Laura

Premium Member
I was just checking out the Animal Kingdom website, and it looks like Tarzan Rocks show is gone!! Anyone know when it was canceled? We went back in 2004 and it was the best show ever!

Best show ever? :lol:

The one time I saw it I was bored to tears. :lol:

Elphaba

Well, having seen everything Disney has put on broadway over the past 13 years (I'm gonna cry when I see Beauty and the Beast for the last time :( ), I can say that Tarzan was for sure not quite as fabulous as Beauty or as magical as the Lion King, as moving as Aida, or as jolly as Mary Poppins, but it does have it's moments. The new music is fantastic, the performers are excellent, but it falls way short on the creative side of the show, the costumes are ridiculous, the sets, if you can call a stage full of green ropes a set, are awful, and the script has lost all of the humor that the movie had. But I will say that the choroegraphy and aerial design are woth the price of a ticket, Trashin' the Camp was so cool to watch.

PKD

Let's just remember that it is a matter of personal preference. Some people like some things that other people don't.

Correct, there are many things that we will all differ on with our opinions. That is what makes humans human, just look up ANY Wand thread :ROFLOL: however from a Theatre/Entertainment standpoint... Tarzan Rocks was a bad display of live entertainment. Tarzan the musical, which I havn't seen, has not done well with reviews from the "Pros" or the "normal crowd". That is the majority of opinions out there.

Now on the flip side, the majority of people love and want to see Wicked the Musical. However, there is a small hand full of folks who didn't like the show or have no desire to see it.

In Tarzans case, the majority of folks had to decide whether they wanted to ride SGE or see Tarzan Rocks a second time. It was a very hard choice to make! :p

CThaddeus

In Tarzans case, the majority of folks had to decide whether they wanted to ride SGE or see Tarzan Rocks a second time. It was a very hard choice to make! :p

Not for me. I'm a big fan of Stitch's Great Escape. Therefore, if it were a contest between the two, there really would be no contest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom