Tarzan On Broadway

Jarboe

I hope this goes well, but I'm a little skeptical about how the theatre audience might take this show.

First of all I have credentials: I was on Broadway a few years ago and am currently majoring in Musical Theatre (I know you guys get snippy when people talk about things they don't know much about).<O:p</O:p
<O:p
The movie departs a bit from the normal Disney routine of the 1990's animation renaissance, for fewer songs are sung by the characters themselves. More so than the Lion King and Beauty and the Beast, the songs would be sung by Phil Collins and other vocalists not connected in the visual elements. In the ‘Tarzan Rocks’ show in DAK, this tradition was also carried out. Recent rock musicals have failed miserably or have been subject to compromised runs if the vocals are too far removed or juxtaposed from their original intent into a musical story (See Lennin, Good Vibrations, Movin’ Out). What I mean to say is, the Broadway Theatre audience does not want to see a show that is just visually or acoustically appealing, but one that has a story where the characters themselves are directly involved in the creation of those elements. This is why rock musicals such as Rent have had such commercial success.
I just hope that Disney did not fashion this show banking on clever acrobatics and a rock sound, but rather the central story, adding these elements to only ‘enhance,’ not create the connection between the characters themselves.

The reviews will be out in a few months. In due time, we will see.<O:p</O:p

Epcot82Guy

I agree. I think the show has great potential, but I think it will take a little creativity to translate. I'm sure the reviews will tell.

WeLComeHomE OKW

sj03gcs said:
Tarzan started previews night. Here is an artical talking a little about the show.
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/98648.html
The people is the pic are Tarzan and Jane, but I'm sure you all could figure that one out.
Can't wait to see the show. Hoping to go to New York in December to see Tarzan and Mary Poppins.

Scott

hmm.....Disney World? I read this three times yet still cannot find it in there. Wait...we are on WDWMAGIC? in the News and Rumors section? for Disney World right? My head hurts. :brick: :brick:

People never learn.

WeLComeHomE OKW

But since I am also majoring (pretty much) in Musical Theatre I am super excited for Tarzan on Broadway and have no doubt in my mind that Disney will make this show spectacular. 9 new songs by Phil Collins, all the best ppl in the biz workin on the visuals...and as i can tell the story and character development will be much better here then it was in the movie. I can't wait!!!

Shaman

Jarboe said:
I hope this goes well, but I'm a little skeptical about how the theatre audience might take this show.

First of all I have credentials: I was on Broadway a few years ago and am currently majoring in Musical Theatre (I know you guys get snippy when people talk about things they don't know much about).<o>:p</o>:p
<o>:p</o>
The movie departs a bit from the normal Disney routine of the 1990's animation renaissance, for fewer songs are sung by the characters themselves. More so than the Lion King and Beauty and the Beast, the songs would be sung by Phil Collins and other vocalists not connected in the visual elements. In the ‘Tarzan Rocks’ show in DAK, this tradition was also carried out. Recent rock musicals have failed miserably or have been subject to compromised runs if the vocals are too far removed or juxtaposed from their original intent into a musical story (See Lennin, Good Vibrations, Movin’ Out). What I mean to say is, the Broadway Theatre audience does not want to see a show that is just visually or acoustically appealing, but one that has a story where the characters themselves are directly involved in the creation of those elements. This is why rock musicals such as Rent have had such commercial success.
I just hope that Disney did not fashion this show banking on clever acrobatics and a rock sound, but rather the central story, adding these elements to only ‘enhance,’ not create the connection between the characters themselves.

The reviews will be out in a few months. In due time, we will see.<o>:p</o>:p

True...but don't forget they're adding nine news songs that were not in the movie. So maybe the actual actors will sing those...

Legacy

I'm going to be in New York City a couple of weeks after it's official opening.

I'm planning on seeing it at all cost.

A "Ghost" Host

Something tells me this is going to be a flop. The movie was great, but a Broadway production? The Little Mermaid is after this one, which I was able to get the early development music for. TLM has good potential for the stage, and the new musical numbers mixed with the originals aren't half bad.

DopeyJas2004

A "Ghost" Host said:
Something tells me this is going to be a flop. The movie was great, but a Broadway production? The Little Mermaid is after this one, which I was able to get the early development music for. TLM has good potential for the stage, and the new musical numbers mixed with the originals aren't half bad.

Is there anyway to share that music with anyone?? :drevil: if there were someone would be interested in hearing it at megansidol22@Aol.com:drevil:

TheDisneyGirl02

I'm personally excited to see it. We have tickets for April 22 and have had them for months. It will be exciting how they will work this wonderful movie on stage!

TheDisneyGirl02

sj03gcs

Original Poster
So the show opened tonight. Haven't read any of the reviews since they wouldn't be on the internet yet, but I can't wait for tomorrow to read them all.

Scott

ctwhalerman

The Times just blasted the show, in one of the most critical reviews I've read in a long time, calling it "the giant, writhing green blob with music."

http://theater2.nytimes.com/2006/05/11/theater/reviews/11tarz.html

"But any tension or excitement is routinely sabotaged by overkill and diffuseness."

On a light note, When the Times gets going, their bad reviews can be really fun to read. My favorite, A.O. Scott's review of Elizabethtown: "Mr. Bloom distinguishes himself, in this performance as in most of his others, by his steadfast reluctance to explore his range as an actor."

Only the New York Times can make an insult mellifluous. :fork:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom