Talking Mickey Mouse

alifares

I read somewhere about a mickey mouse doll that will talk and tell you about things that are in the parks when you are at disney world. what are these dolls and where can you get them. we are going on te 9th of june and would like to purchase one.

Unplugged

Other notes & rental option

Pal Mickey also plays games when not in the parks. You can take him home and continue to play the built-in games and jokes.

Also note that you used to be able to rent a Pal Mickey at the resort stores. We rented ours the first year he was out and ended up buying him. (Back in those days...not so long ago...I think we paid around $49).

We have a son that's almost 2 who loves our Pal Mickey as a buddy to carry around the house. I can't wait to get them both back to WDW so he can hear Mickey tell him about the parks.

Upvote 0

beachclubbasics

Don't forget, if you already have a Pal Mickey he can be reprogrammed yearly with new information. We actually bought an older model for my DS from one of the Disney Character Premiere outlet stores for $25 and had him reprogrammed (a simple download) at the Pal Mickey station either right in or very near VMK central in MK.

We carried him around for 2 days until his laughing (at inappropriate times sometimes) drove us nuts..lol. He spent the rest of the trip in a backpack inthe closet of our room...poor Mickey...

Upvote 0

beachclubbasics

I have a 2003 Pal Mickey. Where can you get the yearly updates in the MK and how much do they cost?

Thanks Much!

We got ours done at the VMK central in MK..and it was free. He will need to be reprogrammed in every park for their park specific info..but it is free (at least it was last year). I don't know where to program him at Epcot, AK or MGM though.

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

I read somewhere about a mickey mouse doll that will talk and tell you about things that are in the parks when you are at disney world. what are these dolls and where can you get them. we are going on te 9th of june and would like to purchase one.
Yes...we bought one last summer...we are taking it back w/ us in Sept.
The kids loved it!
It will tell you things about the park that you are in & attractions that you are coming up on or are close to.
He will also tell you about short waits for certain attractions in the park that you are in.
He is kinda expensive though...I think we paid about $65.00 for it last year.
:wave:

Upvote 0

MissM

Don't forget, if you already have a Pal Mickey he can be reprogrammed yearly with new information
PAL MICKEY CAN NOT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM BE "UPDATED" WITH NEW CONTENT.

Please, this is a HORRIBLE urban myth!!! Everything PM can ever say is already programmed into him. This is why there are THREE editions so far. The only thing that can be done is PM can be REBOOTED. But it does NOT add any new content to his programming. I have one of the original Pal's and he still talks about Alien Encounter when he's triggered by the sensor that is now for Stitch's Great Escape. It's all he can EVER say. He'll NEVER be able to know that AE is gone. Everything is HARDWIRED into him.

Your older PM versions will continue to work. However, their content will out of date. If you want the absolute newest/latest/most accurate information, you need to buy the newest version. (At this time, the most current is the "Sorcerer Mickey" version.) The technology for Pal does not at this time permit any kind of changes. Since day one, Imagineers who developed Pal have said that they'd like to offer two-way communication and updates but that's still a long ways off at the moment. (And honestly, since Disney can get you to pay $65 for a new one, they're in no rush to make changes to the program that makes them so much cash.)

Pal Mickey will automatically recognize what park he enters (of the four main theme parks, NOT water parks) if he is turned on and facing forward as he enters the turnstyle. No need to do anything else unless for whatever reason he fails to pick up the entry signal. (If that happens, you can take him to any of the PM locations and they're reboot him for you so he will realize what park he's in.)

Additionally, the rental program was discontinued in 2004. You can ONLY buy him now. He is $65 + tax.

But please believe me when I tell you that any "information" you'll find on the web about being able to update Pal ("chip" him, get "downloads," use a "special drawer" the CM's have access to, etc.) is FALSE. It's reboot only, no new content.

Any other questions, please feel free to ask.
The unofficial PM expert,
-m

Upvote 0

hrmom26

hi all
i hate to say this because i think i may be the only one to feel this way but i think pal mickey is a waste of money i purchased one last year and although he was cute for the first half of the first day he was just annoying for the rest if the time i wish i had never spent the money he never said anything we didn't already no. if i was you i would not buy one. maybe if my kids were younger like 2 to 5 maybe it would be worth it to distract them but i doubt it

Upvote 0

MissM

hi all i hate to say this because i think i may be the only one to feel this way but i think pal mickey is a waste of money
Actually, Pal Mickey seems to be one of those things that you either really like or really dislike. I'm a big fan of him but I'm also the first to admit it's not everyone's cup of tea. He tells corny jokes, sometimes you might feel he laughs too often (and thus disrupts your day too much), and he can be an extra thing to carry around. Still, for those who like him, it's a lot of fun and if you don't take it seriously, it's a good time. Afterall, it's a talking stuffed animal so you have to have a little bit of levity to enjoy carrying it around all day.

Still, it's cool technology and can be fun, but no, it's not everyone's favorite item. For any adults who have one or are thinking about getting one, check out PalMickey.net which is dedicated specifically to adults who have a PM for themselves. :)
-m

Upvote 0

beachclubbasics

I have a 2003 Pal Mickey. Where can you get the yearly updates in the MK and how much do they cost?

Thanks Much!

PAL MICKEY CAN NOT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM BE "UPDATED" WITH NEW CONTENT.

Please, this is a HORRIBLE urban myth!!! Everything PM can ever say is already programmed into him. This is why there are THREE editions so far. The only thing that can be done is PM can be REBOOTED. But it does NOT add any new content to his programming. I have one of the original Pal's and he still talks about Alien Encounter when he's triggered by the sensor that is now for Stitch's Great Escape. It's all he can EVER say. He'll NEVER be able to know that AE is gone. Everything is HARDWIRED into him.

Your older PM versions will continue to work. However, their content will out of date. If you want the absolute newest/latest/most accurate information, you need to buy the newest version. (At this time, the most current is the "Sorcerer Mickey" version.) The technology for Pal does not at this time permit any kind of changes. Since day one, Imagineers who developed Pal have said that they'd like to offer two-way communication and updates but that's still a long ways off at the moment. (And honestly, since Disney can get you to pay $65 for a new one, they're in no rush to make changes to the program that makes them so much cash.)

Pal Mickey will automatically recognize what park he enters (of the four main theme parks, NOT water parks) if he is turned on and facing forward as he enters the turnstyle. No need to do anything else unless for whatever reason he fails to pick up the entry signal. (If that happens, you can take him to any of the PM locations and they're reboot him for you so he will realize what park he's in.)

Additionally, the rental program was discontinued in 2004. You can ONLY buy him now. He is $65 + tax.

But please believe me when I tell you that any "information" you'll find on the web about being able to update Pal ("chip" him, get "downloads," use a "special drawer" the CM's have access to, etc.) is FALSE. It's reboot only, no new content.

Any other questions, please feel free to ask.
The unofficial PM expert,
-m

My PM must be special then because he's an urban legend...we did get him downloaded with new information at the VMK central in 2006...I kid you not. He was not rebooted, he got all the new information downloaded into him. I have the original one and he has all of the new info in him. Maybe they have discontinued the downalods, but as of last year he was updated with new info....

Upvote 0

MissM

My PM must be special then because he's an urban legend...we did get him downloaded with new information at the VMK central in 2006...I kid you not. He was not rebooted, he got all the new information downloaded into him. I have the original one and he has all of the new info in him. Maybe they have discontinued the downalods, but as of last year he was updated with new info....
I'm sorry but that's just not possible. The technology literally does not allow for any new information to be inputed into his system. Everything he can ever say is pre-recorded. Period. You may have never heard some of his commentary before and mistook it for new, or he may have been damaged in some way and did not say all the things he was able to say until the reboot. But as for getting new content? It's literally not possible.

The original version of Pal will NEVER learn about new rides, will NEVER play the new games that were part of the HCOE edition, and will NEVER be able to be say anything he wasn't programmed with when manufactured in 2004. The HCOE edition and Sorcerer's Apprentice editions are almost identical and thus there is less to notice in minor changes.

Updates/downloads/chips/mods have NEVER been possible and are still not possible. It was NEVER offered because it's physically impossible.
-m

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Having never taken apart a Pal Mickey, I cannot say for sure, but I would imagine that his "memory" lies in an EPROM chip. EPROM's can, by their very nature, be re-programmed and or replaced.

All I'm getting at is never say never. :wave:

Upvote 0

jmicro59

Having never taken apart a Pal Mickey, I cannot say for sure, but I would imagine that his "memory" lies in an EPROM chip. EPROM's can, by their very nature, be re-programmed and or replaced.

All I'm getting at is never say never. :wave:

Yep, never say never. I have three PM's and since the offspring has lost interest in PM I took them apart. I now have one PM who will say the monorail caution tag line "Please stand clear of the doors... Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas" one of the other PM's I used to wish my wife a happy 15th anniversary and I haven't quite decided what to do with the last PM. But I'm sure I'll think of something. Reprogramming PM is very easy, the most complicated part was making the interface to my PC but trial and error cured that. So if I can do it, WDW could easily accomplish this simple task but I wonder why they wouldn’t do this??? Hmmmmm… I wonder if it has something to do with coming out with newer versions that say new things and charging $65 for PM rather then give loyal PM owners a free upgrade which makes the mouse exactly no coin. I’m probably way off base with this though, right? :lol:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom