Taking Mom to WDW

*TXWDWFAN*

Has anyone taken, their mom, to WDW? Like a mother/daughter trip. I'm thinking about taking my mom, in April 2010, when they have the Flower & Garden Festival. I would like to go the week of her b-day. But the down side is it's also the week after Easter. It will be her first time to go. What value or mod resort would you recommend? What about doing something special? How are the crowds during this particular week?

Brwneyedgirl72

My mom and I take a trip together every year. We just got back from a cruise to Alaska in May. My mother is my favorite travel buddy and we go to WDW at least a half dozen times a year together. We always have a great time because we have many of the same interests and we are both Disney freaks. I treasure the time we have together and we always have a blast. I hope that you enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

My mom and I are going together in November. I know its gonna be an awesome trip. Shes the one who actually turned me into such a disney freak that I am today. She hasn't been there since 2006 so I'm real excited for her. We go every year in november, the week before thanksgiving week and boy is it beautiful at that time of year...and the crowds, well there are none really! We are staying at POFQ for the first time so thats always fun, staying at a resort you've never been to yet. I stayed at POR lastyear and so far its my favorite wdw resort! I chose FQ because its not as big, has the boat transportation to DTD, and I have heard nothing but great things about it. If you go for a value resort, you should try Pop Century. We love that Pop, its nice and spread out (not spread out like the mods, but a little more spread out than the All Star's), Pop has a great foodcourt, and doesn't share busses.

I have never been to wdw during easter week, but have heard from many that it is veryyy crowded. Just pace yourselves with everything. Don't rush, and just make the most of everything. You'll have fun no matter what.

Upvote 0

Maerj

I did a mother/son trip in April once. The crowds aren't too bad and the weather is pretty good. It can still get a little cool in the evenings. Grad nights are during that month, so you may want to check the dates that they do that so that you don't get kicked out early! (We didn't know about that until we got kicked out early.) Early May is nice as well and you still get the Flower Festival and no Grad Nights.

My mom had a great time and loved it just as much if not more than I did. Epcot was her favorite, in fact she was having such a great time that she actually broke down in the middle of the park and started crying, saying 'This is the best vacation I've ever had...' I was said "Its okay, Mom, take it easy."

So yeah, anyway, have a great trip! :wave:

Upvote 0

maryszhi

yeah..it was in '04. we stayed at the grand floridian and then we did another disney cruise. my dad didnt want to go, so it was just the two of us, my best friends anna and ela, and their mom( their two brothers and dad didnt go) it was so nice, we did the spa and everything.

Upvote 0

maryszhi

por for accomidations, and the spa is really nice at saratoga. maybe doing a character meal maybe something special, or maybe something else. what is you mom into, maybe a tour she would like,.....

Upvote 0

littlered

dh and I took my mom two years ago for her first ever trip. She loved it, she road everything but Mission Space. She loved TOT. She called me her personal tour guide since I was able to navigate the park so well.

she is going again with us this october, this trip will also include 2 of my brothers, 1 sister and part of the week my aunt, unlce and Granny will be joining us. I can't wait to go on rides with my granny.:sohappy:

btw: we stayed at POR, mom loved it.

Upvote 0

*TXWDWFAN*

Original Poster
Thank you all for the info. My mom is not a thrill ride type of person. The rides will have to be the slow and easy type rides. I will have to tell her in advance, cause my brother will have to make the arrangements for his kids. My parents take care of them after school and my dad may have to work. I also might take my youngest son, he will be 4 when we go. I like the idea of going in early May, when the crowds are down. Once again, thank you for all the advice.

Upvote 0

imamouse

I've taken my mom to WDW and DL every year for the past 5 years. She's very active and up for all the walking - IF she get's a break mid-day (back to the resort for some feet-up time). She may or may not take a nap, but needs to rest for a couple of hours for sure. We tend to go in early May when the weather and the crowds are good and the Flower & Garden fest is on (Epcot is her favorite park).

We've stayed at a variety of resorts and her favorites are Wilderness Lodge and Boardwalk. Both are compact in comparison to Pop and Port Orleans and the transportation is good (boats!). Speaking of transportation - be prepared for the 'getting there' aspect. My mom loves to ride the steam train at the MK (and TTA, of course) and take the boat from Epcot to DHS. The monorail is also a big hit. Train travel is a generational thing for someone her age.

As for rides, she's not very adventurous and is conscious of rides that jerk you around too much (Dinosaur, etc). Slow and easy wins the race, but after her third visit, she plucked up enough nerve to go on ToT! I was so proud of her I bought her a ToT pin.

That's the other thing - she loves to look at the pins, but being on a fixed income, she won't buy them (fine with me). Just relax and tour at your mom's pace and you'll have a great time. Although I tend to be more of a Disney commando, I enjoy trips with my mom. It's great to slow down and people watch and do the smaller attractions for a nice change of pace.

I don't deny myself completely - I use her ticket to get 2 FP to RnRC and find her a seat in the shade with a cool drink while I ride. Lots of times, she'll go with me through the queue and experience the pre-show and then take the chicken out exit. That way we spend more time together and she only spends 20 min or so browsing in the gift shop (which she loves) while I experience the attraction. BTW - Soarin' is her favorite attraction.

Have fun with your mom
:wave:.

Upvote 0

Yankeeplex

I took my mom one year and had a blast. My dad was never that huge with Disney growing up, but my mom and sister were always into it. We went without him and had a great time. Grumpy stayed at home.

Upvote 0

SixBits_Slocum

i suggest high tea at the grand floridian. i took my mother for her birthday a few years ago and we had a fabulous time. it can get a bit pricey but it's so worth it. the CMs are so attentive and kind and the atmosphere is elegant. afterwards, we took a walk from the floridian to the polynesian, just taking in the scenery. my mother is not a huge disney fan but she still talks about that afternoon - it really made an impression on us!

Upvote 0

imamouse

^^I took my mom to tea at the GF a few years ago. I made a late ADR and we ordered the complete tea, which doubled as our dinner (it was a lot of food). We had a great time and can't wait to go back and do it again.

Upvote 0

peterpangirl_22

my first trip i went to wdw with my mom and dad (they were divorced before we went) but since then it has just been me and my sister with our dad. but i can still remember from the first trip we tried everything, walked around all day and even stayed for an e-ride night untill 2am at magic kingdom. and i am so proud of my mom,she has lupus and fibromyalga and she kept going everyday so we would all have more fun. going with your mom can be a great thing, my mom and i are very close and i can still remember our last night in disney, we were in magic kingdom and my mom and i held on to each other as we left we were both crying and reminising about everything we had done. it was great. and it sounds like your mom will love everything you're planning!

and i'm happy to say i'm going back to disney next summer for my graduation present and i suprised my mom by telling her she is coming with us! I can't wait!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom