Take the bus, or take the car?

wdwfan4ver

It depends on what your planning to do.

I do a lot of resort dining and a car is much better than a bus for that. I am saying that based off the amount of buses you have to take if you go from your hotel to another hotel. I take breaks in the afternoon from theme parks and I stay at the hotel before its time for dinner.

Downtown Disney takes a while for going to your hotel by taking a bus. Taking the boat from your hotel to Downtown Disney can be a challenge depending on what hotel you are staying at if you have a boat option at your hotel. It is easier for people that stay at Disney's Port Orleans Riverside to have a seat on the boat than the people staying at the French Quarter. The other problem with using a boat is it wouldn't run in some types of weather conditions.

A car is also great for buying stuff like Water outside of a WDW hotel because of the price Disney charges.

draybook

We've only used a bus once. it was this past March and it took about about 15 minutes or so to go from the TTC to Epcot. We parked at the TTC after coming from the ESPN complex and planned on taking the monorail to Epcot and then back to MK until midnight. The monorails were messing up so they had to bus us over there. I would have gladly drove myself if we weren't already parked at the back of the lot.

psukardi

I drive every day on my commute to/from work. Plus, when I'm on holiday I like to drink. So for me, it's the bus or taxi hands down.

I like the ability to walk around the parks and not have 10000 keys digging into my side. Not having to worry about remembering where I parked.

Mileage may vary

SulleyanBoo

Original Poster
I do understand where some of you are coming from where you enjoy the bus as a Disney perk and we do too when it comes to "planned adult beverages" or sometimes we will just say "lets just take the bus" Just lately we have taken the car. We find it when we go in a group of 4 with our other friends we do normally take the bus and when it's just my fiance and I we drive.
To each is own :) The buses have their perks and driving does too. I guess it just all depends on the circumstances.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Agreed Shookie! Always rent a car look on Web for discount codes and you will say a good chunk or cash. Plus I have a AAA Diamond parking pass which allows you to park up close near the Handicapped area. This parking area is especially close at Epcot and HWS.
This way no waiting for a bus or those sighs and grunts when I have to collapse the double stroller. The only BO I smell is my families. Can change the kids into jammies on late nights. No team needed thanks to Diamond parking.
Ohh..like the sound of that! Is that just with your regular AAA membership?

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
My sister insists that they will use the busses on our trip because it is all part of the "experience" for them, but I would bet good $ that she will change her tune once she sees how we are beating them to the park.

The other great thing about driving is if you have ADRs at resorts it is soooo much easier if you are not reliant on busses.
Yup..
"So we'll meet up at DHS? Okay cool Meet us at the exit to RnR..We should just be getting off our second ride by then"

Bob

Bo0bi3$
Premium Member
We love the convenience of DME so that kinda makes the buses at WDW our only option once we are on property. Really the only time where I would prefer to have my own car is the end of the evening. Next trip I may put together a small budget for taxi rides back to the resort at the end of the night.

luv

Disney busses are clean and cute. They keep the degenerates off of them. They usually arrive on a regular basis. And they're free. All good things.

Sometimes busses come late. On less common occasions, it doesn't come at all and you end up waiting twice as long. They can be stinky. The temperature might not be where you'd set it. And you have to ride with others. When a lot of people show up at the same time, the bus might fill and you have to wait for another...and another, etc. You might have to stand. That's all part of public transportation.

I don't like public transportation and avoid it whenever possible. So, while I think Disney does a nice job with their system, I drive almost everywhere, all the time.

rkelly42

I usually drive down to wdw, so it is a pretty easy for me to decide. Although if there is drinking involved that day, the busses it is.

psukardi

I don't like public transportation and avoid it whenever possible. So, while I think Disney does a nice job with their system, I drive almost everywhere, all the time.

The Disney bus system is leaps and bounds better than most public transportation. Public Transportation is standing on an overcrowded METRO platform only to get into a train with a broken A/C unit full to the gills with people and no where to sit. Hoping your not pick-pocketed and then hoping to escape your destination station without being bombarded by homeless people looking for donations or a specific religious group asking you about a latter day.

Fantasmic

On our holiday last year, we rented a car for the second week, I swear, it was like a holiday of two halves, and I don't understand why we never rented for the full 2 weeks (and why we never rented in 2007 and 2009!) we had so much FREEDOM!! It was amazing not having to be tied up to spending a great chunk of time waiting for the Disney buses (which are very good, regular, reliable, clean etc etc) I just preferred having a car! (and I LOVED driving on the "wrong" side of the road, feel 100% normal to me!)

Dad 2 M & M

We take the bus for everything. It is a bummer at times having to wait, but we look at it as a convenience not having to drive. Of all the Values, Pops seems to have the best, efficient, least crowded busing....

G00fyDad

Take the car. Leave the buses for those that like them. They are very over crowded, at times they are smelly, sweaty people rubbing up against you, screaming children, and long waits and long rides. Now, drive your own car and you get back to the resort sometimes quicker, no noise, no sweat, no sticky kids, and peace and quiet all the way. ;)

G00fyDad

I think when you buy tickets through them. I buy my Diamond pass on eBay they are good for a year.

You and me both. AAA parking passes are great off of eBay! And a team of Clydesdales couldn't drag me into a AAA office ever again. For anything! Just be sure that the person hasn't signed it and it is unused. Still not likely to cause an issue but you never know. :D

Goofnut1980

I've said before and I'll say it again.
No money is ever better spent on a WDW vacation than the 150 bucks I drop on the rental car.
The comfort, convenience, and hours I get back not waiting for buses is priceless.

As mentioned You do have to take into consideration the "getting your drink on" factor.
But my wife doesn't drink that much and I usually taper off as the end of the evening gets close
so it's not a problem.

How do you find a rental car for $150??

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
I usually only have bus issues (waiting what seems like forever) at AK for the bus back to the hotel and ALWAYS problems for DTD buses to and from. I personally use the buses unless I am going to DTD....sometimes I use our car if we have early morning reservations. Buses do stink to ride after park closing, but I have found that if we just hang out for a bit after park close (pics, etc), we bypass most of the rush.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom