Tables in Wonderland Changes with Additional Block-out Dates

71jason

The credit card rule has happened to me numerous times. I frequent WDW 1-3 weekends a month so there are more chances of being asked. It's happened in Mexico, Italy and yak and yeti lost recently.

Interesting, thanks for the heads-up. I rarely use mine in the parks, except Rose & Crown.

wdwfan22

Not a ban per se but extra record keeping if I recall-I'm too lazy to pull up the new law

All that is really required by the new law is to tax the gratuity. This shouldn't be that difficult for them as they will be required to do that for the dinning plan and Cast discounts.

71jason

All that is really required by the new law is to tax the gratuity. This shouldn't be that difficult for them as they will be required to do that for the dinning plan and Cast discounts.

But apparently they are not (take it up with Disney Legal, not me). Quite the big issue here in town right now.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I must be very lucky. We eat at a Disney restaurant at least once a week, and except for a grouchy manager at Boma, never had an issue with the credit card rule.

The program still works for us, even with the new blackout dates, given how frequently we eat out.

JimboJones123

So whats actually wrong with policy about the TiW holder paying the bill? I know quite a few places that will only give a discount if the person who is entitled to the discount actually pays.

You could always pay in cash....

Any way it always depends how many times you use it. That $100 could be made up pretty quickly when you're not having to worry about that extra 18-20% for tips on top of the usual bill.
No different than CMs.

Jimmy Thick

Because Victoria and Albert's is the most highly decorated and awarded restaurant in Florida, I think cutting any kind of discount is completely fair. You wouldn't go to Alinea and whip out a coupon would you?

Jimmy Thick- If you have to ask how much, chances are you can't afford it.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Because Victoria and Albert's is the most highly decorated and awarded restaurant in Florida, I think cutting any kind of discount is completely fair. You wouldn't go to Alinea and whip out a coupon would you?

I can only speak for myself, but the cutting of Victoria and Albert from the program doesn't bother me. The extended blackout dates at other restaurants are more disturbing.

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
I can only speak for myself, but the cutting of Victoria and Albert from the program doesn't bother me. The extended blackout dates at other restaurants are more disturbing.
Yeah, I'm partially on the same page with you there. I actually tried to edit the title of this topic to include that tidbit as well, but was at a loss of how to include that info. I guess topic titles can't be edited?

As far as the automatic gratuity thing, does anyone have a link to that law's wording? I've become curious as I wasn't aware of a law like that.

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
Eh... small correction. V&A wasn't "cut" from TIW - they opted OUT of it due to insufficient corporate reimbursement (ie, TIW cheeped out on them).
Let me get this straight. You're saying that an individual restaurant owned and operated by Disney has more power over their menu and what discounts they choose to offer than the corporate guys who manage the discount program for the entire resort? It's not a bad thing, I just have a hard time believing it. Perhaps there is still hope that more Disney owned restaurants can opt out of the reservation system that requires a credit card guarantee and opt out of catering to the DDP.

Yeah, somehow, I don't buy it. Even if it is V&A's.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

lazyboy97o

Let me get this straight. You're saying that an individual restaurant owned and operated by Disney has more power over their menu and what discounts they choose to offer than the corporate guys who manage the discount program for the entire resort? It's not a bad thing, I just have a hard time believing it. Perhaps there is still hope that more Disney owned restaurants can opt out of the reservation system that requires a credit card guarantee and opt out of catering to the DDP.

Yeah, somehow, I don't buy it. Even if it is V&A's.
I can see it given how Disney measures everything. Victoria & Albert's was probably able to show that the discount was eating into their margins significantly enough while their restaurant is not a significant draw towards the program itself.

bgraham34

Im surprised that they ever even allowed a discount. And to be upset because Disney is cutting that restaurant is ridiculous. Most of the people who complain about it probably never even go there. The reduction of dates is one thing.

PolynesianPrincess

Cutting V&A doesn't bother me. As others have said, it's the blackout dates. I think we picked the right time to not renew our APs or TIW. Cutting and cutting while prices keep going up, up, up and then having to book every single thing you want to do 6 months in advance! No thanks! This year, we're heading on a cruise next month, then out to Disneyland in April then on another cruise in November. Disney World is just NOT worth it anymore.

midwest_mice

Blacking out additional dates just doesn't make sense to me. We have AP's and TIW and we aren't locals, we live in Wisconsin but get three trips out of a pass a year, which a few fall upon some blackout dates. At least you can still go to AK and go to Pizzafarri and Flame Tree BBQ and get a 20% discount without having to leave a tip!

awilliams4

Combine this with the requirement to have a credit card guarantee for any reservation at WDW, and I really can't see the value in this program anymore unless I want to drink around the resorts at the bars all the time and use Valet Parking. (Which I really don't.)

They also are doing a very strange thing... they want the name on the Tables in Wonderland Card to match the name of the credit card being used to pay for the tab. I find that a bit insulting.

Not sure how requiring a Credit Card for an ADR anywhere lowers the value for the TIW.

As far as requiring a Credit Card with the appropriate name listed, on my planet, pretty much everyone is a cheat and a fraud. That is why they are doing it. Wish I lived on a planet where most people were trustworthy and therefore this could be considered an insult

awilliams4

This says to me that they're looking to phase out the program. Jack up the price and cut the benefits. I know Disney has doing this with other things too, but it really seems like they're trying to make things like this only worthwhile for locals that go to the parks all the time. The same can be said about the Premier Pass, they're pricing it at a point where it's no longer viable unless you're making multiple trips to both locations.

I read it as mostly cutting out fraud and a bit more revenue since they increased the blackout dates.

deanaandrich

Looks like it's only about half a dozen restaurants in the additional blackout dates and I don't frequent those often so it's not gonna be a big deal for me.

MasonDuo

These additional cuts are starting to get really irritating. We just got home from a trip to DL and our Premier Passes gave us an automatic 15% discount on counter service and table service locations. I'm all for WDW being different and even charging for the TIW card but it's hard to justify paying the $100 for less benefits each year. After we left DL I told my husband I'm not renewing the TIW card at WDW this year - may end up at DL more often this year. Sad that they keep cutting benefits to the loyal customers. These cuts are just them trying to justify their dining plan - sorry but most of us think that is a rip off too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom