Switching off infant with my wife on rides?

MichaelinTN

Original Poster
My wife and I will be taking our 8 month old to Disney next week(yes I know 8 months is a little young - but we are going for ourselves too).
On the "thrill" rides like Test Track or Soarin should we just each use the single line(if there is one) while the other waits with our daughter or is there a way to let one person ride and then hand off the child for the other person to ride so we can wait in line togther?

We are staying at Port Orleans FQ and are very excited to take our little girl to Disney!

Thanks.

optjay

Funny, from your title of the thread it sounds like your infant has an on/off switch that you plan on turning off while your wife is on an attraction. lol

tink81

You or your wife just need to speak to the CM at the entrance of the attraction and ask about "child swapping." I have never used it (I don't have kids) but I have seen others do it. Basically you get a pass that you give to your spouse when you get off and then she can get right on without having to wait in line again. Check with Guest Services when enter the park or even at your hotel, someone there should be able to give you specific details, but I know such a system is in place.

Have FUN! :wave:

jollymon2

"Child Swapping" is a great thing. At any attraction you want to do this, go to the cast member standing at the entrance of the cue and tell them you would like to "child swap", they will give you what is essentially a fastpass. The first person waits in the regular line and then when they are back, the second parent can use their child swap pass to enter the fastpass line. It is slick.

coltow

"Child Swapping" is a great thing. At any attraction you want to do this, go to the cast member standing at the entrance of the cue and tell them you would like to "child swap", they will give you what is essentially a fastpass. The first person waits in the regular line and then when they are back, the second parent can use their child swap pass to enter the fastpass line. It is slick.
This is exactly how to do it. We found it easier for 1 of us to get a fast pass so we don't need to wait in the line alone. When it's time to return tell the CM at the entrance that you are also going to need a baby swap ticket. They will probably ask to see the baby just to make sure. We learned this the hard way. While my mom waited with DS outside ToT DH and I went to RnRc and they denied us a swap pass because they couldn't see my son.

Jessie&Buzz

Baby Swapping is awesome! If it still is the same as in 2003 and 2004 at Star Tours you all wait in line then at the loading area one parent rides while the other waits there. Then when the ride is over the parent who rode stays in their seat while other guests exit. The parent with the baby enters and they switch seats and the baby. The parent then rides while the other parent waits in the hall right outside the ride. It was kind of cool. I know that other rides givet the ticket.

Macaylasmom

My daughter was 8 months old for her first Disney trip. This April/May trip will be her 7th trip and she is 6 years old. The second trip for our 2 year old. I still remember the look on her face when she first saw Winnie The Pooh. She was so excited she was trying to jump out of my arms. No age is too young. Some rides have different policies with child swap. Some get a ticket similiar to a fast pass and some follow the above post regarding Star Tours. I remember Dinosuar being different too. Just ask the CM at the line que and they will be happy to give you details. Just keep the baby close as they will ask for proof. Have a wonderful trip.

Dagger

Unfortunately one of us had to ride the ride, but before we went on, were given a switch riders fast past, so then when we'd get off, we'd hand it to the other parent. I wish we could just stand in line with the baby and then physically switch her off but I guess it'd be a problem of where to stand, and also, there'd be tons of kids and babies in the waiting area.

The hardest thing about Disney for us was holding out daughter in line afer dumping the stroller but she was 16 mos. and weighs 26lbs and that might make a difference with taking a smaller baby that weighs less!

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

radiohost

Just so I would throw my two cents in, in order to not cause confusion, the baby by no means is allowed in the line at any time. Disney used to do this back in the 90's, but now they have a totally different policy with it....As said before, yes the cm at the entrance with giv you whats called a "RIDER SWITCH PASS"...This will get one of the parents into the ride, ALONG WITH THREE OTHER GUESTS...So if there is a famlily who has say three kids, one of those being an infant, the two kids who can ride can ride twice ith both parents with this Rider Switvh Pass...I worked at Big Thunder Mountain Railroad this passed summer, and had to deal with this Every day...It trully is a great systom. Oh, every ride a child can ride on except the three mountains at MK, which have height requirements...Big Thunder Montain and Splash Mountain is 40"inches....Space Mountain is 44" I believe....And Stitch is 44"inches.....p.s. I loved it when parents who had a toddler who was clearly under the height requirement would come up with my favorite excuse> "Well they let her/him on over at Splash Mountain"...lol, gets em every time....Hp[e you guys have a great visit..Radiohost:cool:

jesserin

My wife and I will be taking our 8 month old to Disney next week(yes I know 8 months is a little young - but we are going for ourselves too).
On the "thrill" rides like Test Track or Soarin should we just each use the single line(if there is one) while the other waits with our daughter or is there a way to let one person ride and then hand off the child for the other person to ride so we can wait in line togther?

We are staying at Port Orleans FQ and are very excited to take our little girl to Disney!

Thanks.

LOL no worries about taking the baby... We took our daughter when she was 8 months, and she had the time of her life, so many fun things to look at - the characters all made her smile, and mom and dad got alot out of it too! No worries on that end.

The baby swap is easy and simple. :) Use it often!

Man, an off switch would be nice now and then.

:lol: No kidding. LOL

This is exactly how to do it. We found it easier for 1 of us to get a fast pass so we don't need to wait in the line alone. When it's time to return tell the CM at the entrance that you are also going to need a baby swap ticket. They will probably ask to see the baby just to make sure. We learned this the hard way. While my mom waited with DS outside ToT DH and I went to RnRc and they denied us a swap pass because they couldn't see my son.

Which is great, as this allows you to always hold fast passes for two different rides - one fast pass ticket and one child swap ticket per ride. Works great and you get twice as much done. LOL :)

Just so I would throw my two cents in, in order to not cause confusion, the baby by no means is allowed in the line at any time.

Just a quick note - though the rest of your info is right on... this is incorrect. We were allowed to take the baby in nearly every line. :) ToT, RRC and MS were the exceptions we found. Maybe they've changed it in the last 8 months... but in May 06 - we were allowed to wait together in line for almost everything.

radiohost

Just a quick note - though the rest of your info is right on... this is incorrect. We were allowed to take the baby in nearly every line. :) ToT, RRC and MS were the exceptions we found. Maybe they've changed it in the last 8 months... but in May 06 - we were allowed to wait together in line for almost everything.

I dont mean to cause an arguement on here, but just wish to inform the poster this...You CANNOT bring your baby into the line for the following rides... Space Mountain, Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad....A cast member must not allow this to happen, for it is in the safety guidelines for there work location...In fact a Cast member may get in trouble if they mistakenly let a baby in line...Happened to often at Big Thunder Mountain this passed summer with some CM's.It may be different in different parks, though I am not sure..Jesserin, great post...thank you for your info...Radiohost:cool:

dsnyfreak

So when I visit with my 16 year old and my 1 year old my 16 year old can ride the ride twice once with me and once with her dad? That is awesome. :sohappy:Are all the rides like that?
Just so I would throw my two cents in, in order to not cause confusion, the baby by no means is allowed in the line at any time. Disney used to do this back in the 90's, but now they have a totally different policy with it....As said before, yes the cm at the entrance with giv you whats called a "RIDER SWITCH PASS"...This will get one of the parents into the ride, ALONG WITH THREE OTHER GUESTS...So if there is a famlily who has say three kids, one of those being an infant, the two kids who can ride can ride twice ith both parents with this Rider Switvh Pass...I worked at Big Thunder Mountain Railroad this passed summer, and had to deal with this Every day...It trully is a great systom. Oh, every ride a child can ride on except the three mountains at MK, which have height requirements...Big Thunder Montain and Splash Mountain is 40"inches....Space Mountain is 44" I believe....And Stitch is 44"inches.....p.s. I loved it when parents who had a toddler who was clearly under the height requirement would come up with my favorite excuse> "Well they let her/him on over at Splash Mountain"...lol, gets em every time....Hp[e you guys have a great visit..Radiohost:cool:

JWG

I think it's been endorsed enough, but the baby swap is GREAT.

You just tell the person at the line queue you'd like the pass and the 2nd person through gives it back to take the fast pass line.

It's SLICK! My wife and I used it with my parents. We'd ride while my parents watched our daughter and then we'd swap. Worked great.

HRT+3

But wait, does that mean that I have to stand in line for the ride by myself as my husband waits and he while I wait? I'm just confused, and afraid of crowds.

Champion

But wait, does that mean that I have to stand in line for the ride by myself as my husband waits and he while I wait? I'm just confused, and afraid of crowds.

One person has to wait in the line, yes. The other gets to skip it.

Are you sure a crowded theme park is the place for you, if you are afraid of crowds?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom