Switching from POP to AKL Savanna View worth it?

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
My sister and I booked Standard at POP under the Disney+ discount.
Its a $25 per night savings which is pretty good for a value since they usually don't seem to be that discounted with other past promos.

We were going the cheapest route since my sister was applying for a house building loan.
However with the market and rates the way they are she can't get enough to start building right now like she wanted.
Instead she will wait until next year to see if prices come down and plus next year is her big jump in pay so even if the market is still crazy she can get enough of a loan to build based on her new income.

SO... We were then thinking about how we really want to continue trying new resorts each trip.
AKL was one of the resorts we have thought about in the past.
I looked it up with the Disney+ discount.
We could get a standard room for $319 per night but of course the catch is its only available with a KING bed. Unfortunately we really can't share a bed especially on vacation because we really need our toss and turn space haha.
The Savanna View for 2 beds is $434 per night discounted from $579 per night so a huge savings.

Do you think its worth us changing in order to experience something new with that big of a discount even though we had been looking to go the cheapest route?

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

It really depends how much time you plan on spending at the resort. Animal Kingdom Lodge is my personal favorite. I could go on a 2-3 day vacation to the lodge and never leave and be very happy.

But if I was going on a park focused trip, I would choose pop century not only for the cost but also for the central location and skyliner.

I think the savanna view is only worth it if you plan on relaxing at your room a lot.

Sbk1234

I think it all boils down to it's your money, and how do you want to spend it. What's important to you?

If it was me, and I could afford it, I would LOVE to stay at the AKL. Unfortunately, the "huge savings" you mentioned bringing the cost to "only" $434 a night may as well be $1,000,000 a night for me. So I'd stay at the Pop Century, only due to finances. If I could afford it, however, it would be a different story.

RememberWhen

We stayed at AKL in a savannah room and loved it. I loved sitting on the balcony in the morning and afternoon watching the zebras and giraffes. But if I was headed out really early and wouldn’t be back until after dark I’d stick with Pop. Do you all usually spend all the time you have in the parks or do you like some resort time?

Club Cooloholic

My sister and I booked Standard at POP under the Disney+ discount.
Its a $25 per night savings which is pretty good for a value since they usually don't seem to be that discounted with other past promos.

We were going the cheapest route since my sister was applying for a house building loan.
However with the market and rates the way they are she can't get enough to start building right now like she wanted.
Instead she will wait until next year to see if prices come down and plus next year is her big jump in pay so even if the market is still crazy she can get enough of a loan to build based on her new income.

SO... We were then thinking about how we really want to continue trying new resorts each trip.
AKL was one of the resorts we have thought about in the past.
I looked it up with the Disney+ discount.
We could get a standard room for $319 per night but of course the catch is its only available with a KING bed. Unfortunately we really can't share a bed especially on vacation because we really need our toss and turn space haha.
The Savanna View for 2 beds is $434 per night discounted from $579 per night so a huge savings.

Do you think its worth us changing in order to experience something new with that big of a discount even though we had been looking to go the cheapest route?
What time of the year are you going? I say book a non savannah view and I bet there is still a good chance you will get a view when you check in, heck ask even if they don't at first give you one. There are many rooms that don't have ideal views so they get categorized as standard view but you would never be able to tell.

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
It really depends how much time you plan on spending at the resort. Animal Kingdom Lodge is my personal favorite. I could go on a 2-3 day vacation to the lodge and never leave and be very happy.

But if I was going on a park focused trip, I would choose pop century not only for the cost but also for the central location and skyliner.

I think the savanna view is only worth it if you plan on relaxing at your room a lot.

We are more park orientated but have stayed at CR and Poly and definitely made time in our days to be at the resort.
It helps that they are close to MK so we could say... go to MK then back to our room and then to another park.

I do love POP for the transportation and cost.

How's the AKL transportation?

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I think it all boils down to it's your money, and how do you want to spend it. What's important to you?

If it was me, and I could afford it, I would LOVE to stay at the AKL. Unfortunately, the "huge savings" you mentioned bringing the cost to "only" $434 a night may as well be $1,000,000 a night for me. So I'd stay at the Pop Century, only due to finances. If I could afford it, however, it would be a different story.

Since we have been so many times we do think its important to start broadening our experiences.
The price is an easier pill to swallow when the cost is split down the middle and we each are just paying our own way.

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
We stayed at AKL in a savannah room and loved it. I loved sitting on the balcony in the morning and afternoon watching the zebras and giraffes. But if I was headed out really early and wouldn’t be back until after dark I’d stick with Pop. Do you all usually spend all the time you have in the parks or do you like some resort time?

It seems like it depends on where we stay as to park vs room time haha.
Staying at POP we are usually at the park from open to close.
But staying at CR and Poly we made the effort to hang at the resort as well.
I'm guessing early in the morning would be the best time to see the anaimals especially since we are going in August.

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
What time of the year are you going? I say book a non savannah view and I bet there is still a good chance you will get a view when you check in, heck ask even if they don't at first give you one. There are many rooms that don't have ideal views so they get categorized as standard view but you would never be able to tell.

August.
I would book a standard room but like I said only a king bed is available for standard rooms with the Disney+ discount right now.
If I book a standard with 2 beds without the discount its $411 per n ight so might as well just pay the extra $33 per night to stay in the Savanna view.

RememberWhen

We had no complaints about the transportation when we stayed at Kidani in February.

The pool (only the Jambo house pool was open when we were there) was pretty good, but understandably crowded.

If you’re willing to spend a bit more time at the resort, the savannah view is really nice.

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Update:
So I was checking for availability... and this morning Standard view with 2 queen beds popped up so I took it.
$308 per night with the Disney+ discount.
Like I said new experiences are a priority for us now that we've been so much and its likely that once my sister starts the building process we will have to go the cheapest route possible so we may not be getting as many new experiences.
I figure there's always a chance to get that lucky standard room with savanna views or a potential upgrade but fully prepared for a view of the parking lot lol.
Overall its only $366 more total per person since we are splitting it down the middle.

RememberWhen

Update:
So I was checking for availability... and this morning Standard view with 2 queen beds popped up so I took it.
Like I said new experiences are a priority for us now that we've been so much and its likely that once my sister starts the building process we will have to go the cheapest route possible so we may not be getting as many new experiences.
I figure there's always a chance to get that lucky standard room with savanna views or a potential upgrade but fully prepared for a view of the parking lot lol.
Overall its only $366 more total per person since we are splitting it down the middle.
Awesome! Maybe you’ll get a great partial view room. 🦒 🦓 🐃

Club Cooloholic

Update:
Chances are it will be hard to go back! Start looking into those DVC resale contracts lol.
Congrats!

Imhere

Update:
Excellent!!!

You are going to love it.

We loved sitting on the balcony having coffee in the mornings watching the wildlife.

I think AKL has one of the better pools too, there is actually some shade there!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom