Swimming at the resorts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmything7

I've only stayed at one disney resort and it was the fort wilderness trailers. There was no beach there. But now im going to stay at the Polynesian and i was wondering if we are allowed to swim in the lake.
I heard that we couldn't but i just want to make sure. Thanks

Yellow Shoes

I wouldn't do it.

Nasty ameobas in the Florida water.

Remember that Star Trek episode when that scorpion-like thing tunnels through one ear and out the other?

Yup--they're kinda like that.

Upvote 0

mkymaus

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Yellow Shoes
I wouldn't do it.

Nasty ameobas in the Florida water.

Remember that Star Trek episode when that scorpion-like thing tunnels through one ear and out the other?

Yup--they're kinda like that.

LOL!!!!:slurp:

Upvote 0

Katherine

I'd have to agree. I wouldn't try it. The pool at Poly is really nice from what I've heard and I'd definantly stick to that.

Upvote 0

Woody13

Actually, the water is not unhealthy at all. Swimming in Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon is not permitted due to high watercraft traffic. Getting hit by a boat can ruin your whole day!

Upvote 0

oochr1soo

but wasnt it closed at one point do to bad water? i personally would never swim in it lol but thats just me.. ill stick to the clear pools.

Chris

Upvote 0

wdwfan22

Originally posted by Woody13
Actually, the water is not unhealthy at all. Swimming in Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon is not permitted due to high watercraft traffic. Getting hit by a boat can ruin your whole day!

That's not what we were told.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
If you do a search on this, you will find several threads discussing this topic, and posts by several members who remember swimming in Bay Lake (myself included) and also at CBR when it first opened (me too).

The swimming area was roped off and watercraft really didn't get very close. It is my understanding that the combination of fertilizer run-off and water fowl excrement, warm weather, plus no tidal changes to cleanse the water, combined to raise the coliform and other bacteria levels to an unhealthy level. This problem is not limited to Florida, but is happening in lakes in many states. (My BIL is an epidemiologist, and we've discussed this in the past.) There was also an article containing a water study of Bay Lake posted somewhere around here...as I recall, it showed that the water is definitely polluted. Will you die if you fall in? Of course not. Might you get ill if you accidently drink the water while swimming? Quite possibly.

(Most Florida fresh water lakes have those nasty amoebas, which is why I've never been crazy about water skiing down here!)

Trust me, even when swimming was allowed, the pools were always a better choice. ;)

Upvote 0

mstarfishee

I personally know nothing about swimming in Bay Lake or Seven Seas Lagoon, however, I just thought i'd mention that the pool area over at the Contemporary is worth a monorail run, especially if you have kids. I have not yet been to the one at Polynesian since it was redone, so I may be speaking out of line here. We always hop around to the different pools on the monorail line, it's kind of fun and it's a nice change of pace!

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

Originally posted by mstarfishee
We always hop around to the different pools on the monorail line, it's kind of fun and it's a nice change of pace!

Pool hopping is not allowed.

Each pool has a sign stating that pool priviledges are for resort guests only.

You may be asked to show a room key. Each key has a numeric code on the bottom that indicates your resort.

Non-resort guests will be asked to leave.

Upvote 0

rpgman

Originally posted by Yellow Shoes
Pool hopping is not allowed.

Each pool has a sign stating that pool priviledges are for resort guests only.

You may be asked to show a room key. Each key has a numeric code on the bottom that indicates your resort.

Non-resort guests will be asked to leave.

yep, that was my unerstanding...

it's not cool to pool hop....

just clogs up the popular pools at resorts even more....

rpgman

Upvote 0

rpgman

Originally posted by Epcot is my fav
ahh pool hopping never hurt anyone.........

ever been to a way over-crowded pool were most of the guests aren't staying at the resort?

I have, and it wasn't fun....

rpgman

Upvote 0

Epcot is my fav

Originally posted by rpgman
ever been to a way over-crowded pool were most of the guests aren't staying at the resort?

I have, and it wasn't fun....

rpgman

i havent...and i go in the summer..there are big crowds when i go...eh the more the better

Upvote 0

rpgman

Originally posted by Epcot is my fav
i havent...and i go in the summer..there are big crowds when i go...eh the more the better

I understand where your coming from....

but a rule is a rule and if it interferes with other guests at that resort, it should be inforced....

rpgman

Upvote 0

Epcot is my fav

I understand where your coming from....

but a rule is a rule and if it interferes with other guests at that resort, it should be inforced....

rpgman

yea i have a question.........if they catch you sneeking in and pool hopping......do they just kick you out or will they do anything worse then that to you??? just wondering......

Upvote 0

mkymaus

Account Suspended
Yes, I agree that pool hopping is a pain to those of us who paid the big bucks to stay at the better resorts to get that privilage to have that better pool area.

I think if you dont like your pool...then move to a better hotel. Every ammenity comes with a price...if you dont want to pay that price then deal with what you got...or go to a water park.

:fork:

Upvote 0

rpgman

Originally posted by mkymaus
Yes, I agree that pool hopping is a pain to those of us who paid the big bucks to stay at the better resorts to get that privilage to have that better pool area.

I think if you dont like your pool...then move to a better hotel. Every ammenity comes with a price...if you dont want to pay that price then deal with what you got...or go to a water park.

:fork:

ya know, I was gonna say that, but I just was being too nice I guess. But, I agree with everything you said....

as for if they catch you, I dunno, but in my opinion, they should kick you out of Disney World....but, most likely they don't do that. Oh well, it would solve the problem though.

rpgman

Upvote 0

mkymaus

Account Suspended
ya know, I was gonna say that, but I just was being too nice I guess. But, I agree with everything you said....

as for as if they catch you, I dunno, but in my opinion, they should kick you out of Disney World....but, most likely they don't do that. Oh well, it would solve the problem though.

rpgman

I am sorry if I offended anyone with what I said...but I am a firm beliver that you get what you paid for.
I think that pool hopping is like stealing. You didnt pay for that pool, why should you be able to use it. I also understand on the otherhand that a Disney resort is a Disney resort and the you should be able to use from each one as you please...but also look at it this way...if you dont like your health club at one of the resorts...would they let you go to another one to use it? I dont think so...its the same thing..I think...perhaps I am being unreasonable...but heck, I am paying over $200 per night to stay at a great hotel..I want to be able to enjoy it without it being over crowded with unwelcomed guests. :veryconfu

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom