Swan Tips/Thoughts/Suggestions/etc.

HouCuseChickie

So my brother and SIL are taking a last minute trip to WDW in a couple of weeks (she just started work at a new hospital and doesn't currently have the luxury of long term vaca planning due to tenure). They live in S Florida, so it's a relatively easy drive- and also not a major trip... 3 nights. They're staying at the Swan...has anyone stayed there and have any thoughts on the place, tips, or suggestions involving this hotel? THanks!:wave:

bobjl527

I used to work for Starwood Resorts. They manage the Swan and Dolphin. The Swan is a Westin property and my wife and I stayed there numerous times. Very, very nice hotel.

I particularly like that it is right by the Boardwalk. The ferry to EPCOT and the Studios is very conveinient. Also some very nice restaurants on property. You get all the perks of a Disney property. I thoroughly enjoyed all the times we were staying there. I am sure that they will love it.

Upvote 0

wdwfan22

We made the mistake and stayed at the Swan one year when we couldn't get into Disney during a last minute trip. It was nice but we wouldn't stay there again. It doesn't have a Disney feel to it at all. It just seemed cold as far as looks and decor. We had a major hotel billing issue that took us forever to get corrected and the staff wasn't very helpful in resolving it. They have a resort fee in addition to parking fees that are also added to your bill. For the price of the Swan/Dolphin you could easily get a Disney Moderate or Wilderness/Animal Kingdom Lodge instead. On a positive note, the resort does offer some nice dining choices and is in a nice location.

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
We made the mistake and stayed at the Swan one year when we couldn't get into Disney during a last minute trip. It was nice but we wouldn't stay there again. It doesn't have a Disney feel to it at all. It just seemed cold as far as looks and decor. We had a major hotel billing issue that took us forever to get corrected and the staff wasn't very helpful in resolving it. They have a resort fee in addition to parking fees that are also added to your bill. For the price of the Swan/Dolphin you could easily get a Disney Moderate or Wilderness/Animal Kingdom Lodge instead. On a positive note, the resort does offer some nice dining choices and is in a nice location.

Depends what your rate is. We frequently have WDWMAGIC reader rates of $129-$179 at the Swan/Dolphin. Even with a resort fee, you are not going to get a Disney deluxe for that price.

They are amongst my favorites on property. You can't beat the location - walkable to Epcot and the Studios, with all the Boardwalk restaurants and entertainment right there as well. They also have the best bed on property by a long way. The main feature pool is also fantastic - its HUGE.

Upvote 0

westie

We've stayed at the swan 3 different times and enjoy the location and transportation options to the different parks. One plus is the 24hr. restaurant. Being from CA and how most everything shuts down at midnight(9pm to a westcoaster) its great to be able to get late night grub. A downside? Well, if your a drinker, the hallways are amazingly long and all look alike. What I'm trying to say is that its rather easy to get lost looking for your room when your drunk...

Upvote 0

wdwfan22

Depends what your rate is. We frequently have WDWMAGIC reader rates of $129-$179 at the Swan/Dolphin. Even with a resort fee, you are not going to get a Disney deluxe for that price.
QUOTE]

Disney's Wilderness Lodge this year during value season with the discount was only $144 a night. No resort fee or parking. At the lowest rate you mentioned $129 at Swan/Dolphin it's becomes $147 before tax when you add in parking and resort fees. So it's possible to stay at a Deluxe depending on when your planning on visiting.

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
QUOTE]

Disney's Wilderness Lodge this year during value season with the discount was only $144 a night. No resort fee or parking. At the lowest rate you mentioned $129 at Swan/Dolphin it's becomes $147 before tax when you add in parking and resort fees. So it's possible to stay at a Deluxe depending on when your planning on visiting.

I should have added "without any AP discounts, CM discounts etc.". The price I was quoting for the Swan/Dolphin was without any discounts. You can go lower if you have those. We've had rates in peak period, around July or thanksgiving for $129. That is never going to happen at a Disney deluxe.

The 2010 rack rates of Wilderness lodge put the lowest price per night this year of $240. http://www.wdwmagic.com/Resorts/Disneys-Wilderness-Lodge-Resort.htm

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Mind you- it's my brother and SIL who are staying, so I have no idea how or where they got this rate- but my brother said it's going to be around $119nt with some other goodies tacked on. I did mention to him about the various fees.

Upvote 0

ornurse

Swan resort

Stayed at the Swan at the end of May. We LOVED it! It cost less than what we normally spend at a WDW hotel (Polyx2, Yacht Club, Beach Club) and we had much better service. I'd say the rooms are nicer than the deluxe resorts at WDW but you get all the same perks--EMH, and it uses the same bus transportation as the Yacht and Beach Club. The location is great; a very easy walk to Hollywood Studios and to Epcot. I think y'all will have a great time there. Have a great time; wish I was going sooner than September!:ROFLOL:

Upvote 0
I stayed there last year over Labor Day weekend and absolutely loved it! Location can't be beat, and the beds are the best on property. For me, I also liked the fact that it was a bit more adult in atmosphere, giving me a nice break from the Disney madness.

Having said that, I'm staying at the Wilderness Lodge this year from August 16-22. Got a decent rate, but I have to admit, I'm still looking for a deal from the Swan. I would change in a heartbeat.

Upvote 0
Love the white sand beaches. Yes, it is a little bit of a "colder " feel than normal Disney magic, but you only have to look out a window to get back in the mood. On the Club Level you get big cookies before bed - we were the happiest little kids on the planet that year! ;~)

Upvote 0

xcrashx15

A downside? Well, if your a drinker, the hallways are amazingly long and all look alike.

We always have a drink at each country in the World Showcase and then walk back to the Dolphin. More than once I've wandered those hallways, gone through what I thought was a door to more hallways, and ended up in the middle of a restaurant! At least, that's how I remember it now... glad I'm not the only one to have these experiences :animwink:

Upvote 0

WVParkfan

It would be nice if that were true all year long! Unfortunately, it is not. We're leaving in 2 days, and I got a rate of $161 per night at the Swan for next week. The Wilderness Lodge is $240 per night, and the AK Lodge is $240 per night, as well. Of course, we'd prefer to be in the Epcot area, but the rate for the Beach Club is $340 per night.

So, as much as we'd like to stay at a Disney Deluxe, we just can't justify the extra $100 to $200 per night. That's why we're giving the Swan a try this year.

Upvote 0

Biff215

Mind you- it's my brother and SIL who are staying, so I have no idea how or where they got this rate- but my brother said it's going to be around $119nt with some other goodies tacked on. I did mention to him about the various fees.

I believe some hospital workers (I think nurses) as well as teachers get a nice discount when it's available there. That might be how they got that rate.

We've never stayed there but have visited both properties when going to play mini golf. Definitely nice resorts, but I've always had the same concern as others about not being Disney resorts. That's not to say you can't get the same or better service!

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I believe some hospital workers (I think nurses) as well as teachers get a nice discount when it's available there. That might be how they got that rate.

We've never stayed there but have visited both properties when going to play mini golf. Definitely nice resorts, but I've always had the same concern as others about not being Disney resorts. That's not to say you can't get the same or better service!

That might be it. Neither of them are nurses, but they both work for hospitals. Oh well- they seemed to enjoy their trip and liked the hotel.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

We were thinking of giving them a try using the Teachers rate on our next trip to WDW...you can't get the dining plan..but with the constant changes we haven't used the plan the last few trips anyway, and with the generalization of merchandise we only had one thing shipped to the resort and that was something purchased in Germany at Epcot...I could have easily grabbed it on our way back to the Yacht Club.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom