Swan or Dolphin

csm7030

We are thinking of staying at the Swan or Dolphin on our next trip. We are hoping to take advantage of the government employee or annual passholder discount. With the exception of the lack of Disney theming and the inability to charge back to the room, are there any negatives? Does anyone have any experience with the rates that have been offered in the past? Finally, we love going to EPCOT in the evening and are excited about the proximity of these two hotels. I know there is boat transportation, but isn't one or both also within walking distance? Thanks.

njblackberry

I stayed at the Swan last October and the Dolphin twice the previous years. You can walk to Epcot from both, but the Dolphin is closer. They share a common boat dock to Epcot or MGM.

My only negative is the non-Disney theming and that they are not Disney run hotels. It just doesn't feel the same.

Having said that - for the right price, I'm there!

Upvote 0

dave2822

I've stayed at the Dolphin twice, and I think it's a very nice hotel. I would pick Dolphin over Swan, but they are pretty much one in the same, although the Dolphin's lobby is more impressive.

Pros:

- location, location, location
Boat rides away from EPCOT and MGM, walkways also to either park (about a 10 minute walk to EPCOT, brisk 15 walk to MGM). Also in location of Boardwalk. You are basically right in the center of the "World."
- price
I don't know what your deal is, but the teacher discount brings the $$ per night to about $100 or so, and if you are not a teacher, there are other deals that have the cost at like $129 a night.
- heavenly beds
They are the best hotel beds you've ever slept in, heck, they are better than my bed too.
- dining and recreation
Little unsure as to what the Swan offers, but the Dolphin boasts one of the best steakhouses in Florida (Shula's), and also some very underrated food at Tubbi's or the Dolphin Fountain for some ice cream. Both resorts share a very nice pool, water slide, and some basketball / tennis courts.

Cons:
- no Magical Express
- Theming lacks that of other Disney resorts

So I say the pros outweigh the cons. The rooms are a bit loud (in terms of design), but many offer great views of fireworks from EPCOT, or good views of MGM.

Enjoy your trip.

Upvote 0

GoofyMom2

I have stayed in the Dolphin (and am returning in April). It is an easy walk (about 15 min) to Epcot, but as you stated you can also take the boats. The timing between boats last year was about 20 min. In the heat of the day, I took the boats. But, one evening after Illuminations, we walked back since it took less time than waiting in the huge lline for a boat. The walk also takes you past Boardwalk with it's fun shops and street entertainers (evening only?).

They say you can also walk to MGM from there, but that is more of a hike. Take the boats.

You get the EMH perk and Disney transportaion perks, but no charging or Magical Express. However, packages can still be sent to these hotels from a theme park. There is also a nice gift shop in the Dolphin.

The Swan has a character dinner some nights in Gullivers. The walk between the hotels takes about 2 minutes. They also share pools. The pools area is very nice, even has a small water slide. My kids (and my shoulders) loved the cascading water in the shallow area. There is also a waterfall for adventuresome types. There is free rental if life jackets for little swimmers (and free towels).

I noticed the maid service doesn't do the cute extras like some resorts (putting stuffed animals in bed etc), but someone reported they did during their stay. We had a few problems with room (air cond, etc) and they were quick to fix it and gave us room credit for use in the rest.

Hope this helps on info!

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
GoofyMom2 said:
But, one evening after Illuminations, we walked back since it took less time than waiting in the huge lline for a boat. The walk also takes you past Boardwalk with it's fun shops and street entertainers (evening only?).

They say you can also walk to MGM from there, but that is more of a hike. Take the boats.

Its an easy walk to MGM. In my 3 stays at the Swan, I have never once taken the boat to MGM or Epcot. I have the times and distances listed here http://www.wdwmagic.com/walking_distances.htm :)

Upvote 0

csm7030

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. The location is one of the things we are excited about. We will be driving down, so the lack of Magical Express is not a factor. Also, we don't have kids and although the wife loves the theming it also is not a big factor. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Do the Swan and Dolphin offer the buses to the other parks? IF they do do the buses drop off in the same areas as the Disney resorts?

ALso can you make your priority seating for restaurants in advance like you can when you are staying at a Disney resort?

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
ajrwdwgirl said:
Do the Swan and Dolphin offer the buses to the other parks? IF they do do the buses drop off in the same areas as the Disney resorts?

ALso can you make your priority seating for restaurants in advance like you can when you are staying at a Disney resort?

Buses only run to Downtown Disney, the Water Parks, AK and MK. The buses do stop in the usual areas.

MGM and Epcot are served by boat or foot.

Yes you can make Disney Dining reservations.

Upvote 0

beagle 1

I have stayed at the Dolphin twice. I also strongly disagree with the opinion that you do not feel the "Disney Magic" when staying here.

Epcot is about a fifteen minute walk from the Swan and Dolphin and you can watch the fireworks at the end of the Boardwalk without entering the park. Me and my wife would just sit on a bench with our ice cream cones and watch the fireworks. Also, since Epcot is so close, you have the option of dining at the World Showcase restuarants or the Boardwalk's restuarant.

You also ask about the negatives. One problem was a lack of toilet pressure in the one room. As such, the problem was fixed the next day while we were at the park. We knew the problem was fixed due to the fact that there was a note for us. This problem has been the only problem we encountered when we have stayed at the Swan and Dolphin.

I would highly recommend the Swan and Dolphin. Once you stay there, you will come back due to the great restaurants in the complex (i.e. Shula's Steakhouse, Tubbis (open all night cafeteria style), closeness to Epcot, MGM and Boardwalk and the very reasonable price. Plus, walking distance to Fantasia Gardens (minature golf).

Upvote 0

gary_flower

I love the dolphin. been there twice now.
They have the heavenly beds which are heavenly, the pool is great and the food there is amazing too. Also with it being so close to the boardwalk you dont have to just eat there. There are many places to eat along the boardwalk and great entertainment. Also being a 10 min walk or 5 min boat ride from epcot and 15 mins walk and 10 mins boat ride to MGM. Its really is a perfect location. The only thing is its not a Disney hotel althought it gets nearly all the same perks as the other dsney hotels.

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort Hotels are very popular locations. Let me offer a few facts...

The Walt Disney World Swan is owned by Starwood Resorts and operated by their Westin division. The Walt Disney World Dolphin is owned by Starwood Resorts and operated by their Sheraton division. The land and physical buildings are owned by Disney, and all Swan & Dolphin logos are copyrighted by Disney and used by Starwood with permission. Both resorts were designed by Michael Graves.

The Disney Reservation Center can book room-only reservations or the base Magic Your Way Package (room + ticket) at standard rates only. The Dinning Plan or other packages are not availiable and neither hotel is included in any Disney discount offer. Each Resort does feature their own various discount offers throughout the year, but these discount rates must be book directly through the hotel, not Disney Reservations.

Guest staying at a Disney owned and operated Resorts cannot use room charge at Swan or Dolphin restaurants or shops, and Guest staying at the Swan or Dolphin cannot use their room charges outside of the two hotels.

The guest of the Swan and Dolphin can enjoy the Extra Magic Hour Benefit and all Disney Transportation (sometimes shared by the other Epcot Resorts: the Beach Club and Villas, Yacht Club and Boardwalk Inn and Villas.)

Other guest benefits such as Disney's Magical Express, Resort Airline Check-in Desks and Resort Package Delivery are not availiable to Guests staying at the Swan or Dolphin.

Hope this helps! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Glasgow

I agree with everyone here. I've stayed at the Swan 4 times (on business trips) and the location is great. I've taken the boat to both MGM and Epcot, and it's great walking down to the boardwalk at night - really adds a nice dimension to your night time experience; at many other places you might just stay in your room all night whereas at the Swan or Dolphin the boardwalk is just too convenient to not go to.

Plus, you're within walking distance of the mini golf place (Fantasia Gardens?) which is a nice added feature.

Don't even get me started on the heavenly beds ... ahhhhhh

Upvote 0

GoofyMom2

Other guest benefits such as Disney's Magical Express, Resort Airline Check-in Desks and Resort Package Delivery are not availiable to Guests staying at the Swan or Dolphin.

Hope this helps! :sohappy:[/QUOTE]

Last August we had a package from Epcot delivered to the Dolphin gift shop. Maybe that has since changed? Probably best to check first!

Upvote 0

midnightstar17

Our family just got back from staying at the Swan and it was gorgeous. We were orginally supposed to stay at the POFQ but our travel agent lost our reservations and landed us there. We found everyone extremely helpful. The transportation was great. Location is great. We didn't eat in the restaurants but they are there. The pool was great. Our coffee maker went out on us one morning and they gave us a box of chocolates. We also had a "standard view". Our standard view included a view of TOT along with the eiffel tower. We could see the fireworks at night. It was great and I would highly recommend it.

Upvote 0

luvorlando

JPVonDrake said:

:) Not meaning to be disagreeable but, Resort Package Delivery IS available to the Swan and Dolphin. Your WDW purchases can/will be delivered to the Disney gift shops located in either the Swan or Dolphin's lobbies, depending on which hotel you are staying.

I have stayed at the Swan several times. The discounted rates they offer are incredible and both hotels are definately deluxe. I wouldn't hesitate to stay in either the hotel. Ahhh! those Heavenly Beds!

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

luvorlando said:
:) Not meaning to be disagreeable but, Resort Package Delivery IS available to the Swan and Dolphin. Your WDW purchases can/will be delivered to the Disney gift shops located in either the Swan or Dolphin's lobbies, depending on which hotel you are staying.

I have stayed at the Swan several times. The discounted rates they offer are incredible and both hotels are definately deluxe. I wouldn't hesitate to stay in either the hotel. Ahhh! those Heavenly Beds!

I was basing that on what is listed in the cast portal as I have never stayed at either resort. Since you are the second person to state this, I'm going to send a correction request to the portal.. Thank!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom