Swan-Dolphin "monorail" ready?

BeachClub

Originally posted by PeterAlt
Found these pictures of concept art of what I'm talking about...

swanorail.jpg
dolphinmonorail.jpg

Moderator -- why won't my IMG tags work????

LOL, what an imagination some have! :animwink:

cloudboy

I heard that the light rail project had been put on hold, since they determined busses would be more economical.

Personally, I would love to see them extend the Monorail, even if ony to the Studios. And yeah, I could see them put in a stop over at the rear entrance to World Showcase, it would also get more people to Boardwalk. I think the Monorail is a lot more entertaining, and gives a much better view, than a light rail system would, and certainly more than those busses!

another issue to running a monorail through the black areas is the height required to get there, if the monorail came out of the yatch club at a reasonable height for loading at the yatch club there would have to be one steep incline to get to the required hieght of the black area. I'm not event sure the monorails could climb that much of a incline.

as for the Light rail they say 2010 but they also have barely gotten anywhere on this yet. people are still argueing every possible direction. trust me my comapany gives us monthly updates on this project.

oh and also I've heard a creditable rummor disney has ordered a large number of GILLIG LOW FLOOR BUSSES.

josh_e_washie

And if the expansion did reach the Swan and Dolphin, where would it loop back to? The TTC? That's one long trip...and how would the station at the TTC work with the other two? Hmmmmmm.....:animwink:

josh_e_washie

And also, a monorail around the lagoon in world showcase would block the view of the countries...I have a book on the design of World Showcase, and have read that a tremendous amount of work was done on the appearance of each country from a distance across the lagoon:)

celticdog

Personally, i'm amazed the monorails have lasted this long. I understand they do replace the trains quite frequently, but from the impression i've gotten is that the monorails are financial drain. They require excessive amounts of maintenance and upkeep. What Disney should do is, work out a deal with the proponents of the MagLev trains. WDW is a perfect place to showcase this type of transportation, plus there wouldn't need to be a lot of track installed.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
okay, i must have been asleep during the discussion of the "light rail", because i totally missed out on this one. ill go try and find some discussions on. if it is easier to just fill me in, feel free, meanwhile ill go searching.

cloudboy

This is splitting up into three area, so here goes.

1st the Light Rail. There were some rumors three or four years ago that Diseny was looking at putting in a light rail system, which would connect the main gates and some of the resorts. Apparently some people thought that the busses were getting too crowded, and a light rail (sort of a trolley, kida like Boston's Green Line or that they have in Portland, OR.) would be more attractive. Of course there were all sorts of rumors floating around, and there was also talk of light rail along Internation Drive outside the parks. I don't know if anything else happened on this, 9/11 kinda put a lot of things on hold.

As far as the cost of the monorails goes, I would love to know how expensive they are for upkeep. They are a lot simplere than they look - they are actually driven by electric motors which turn tires which run along the concrete beam - in many ays it is more simmilar to a bus than a train. And as far as the grades - they can go pretty steep - I don't know the exact figures for the Disney monorail but we are talking 6 or 7% grades.

MagLev is not that unrealistic. Some school (I forget which one right now, I will try and dig that up) is in the process of building one to connect their campus. It's a bit expensive, but it would be interesting. Would be even more interesting if they converted the Tomorrowland Transit to MAgLEv. Of course you wouldn't notice anything, but t would be neat to know it is there.

the light rail/high speed rail is a transit project here in Florida that is creating quite a bit of contraversy, mostly with the route the main line will take (the first proposed stretch) from the airport to a new Station on wdw property, however disney will only put that station in if the route goes along highway 417. everyone else wants the route to go on highway 528 and come down i Drive and past the brand new hugemungus convention center.

try this site for more info www.cfrail.com/

celticdog

Originally posted by cloudboy
MagLev is not that unrealistic. Some school (I forget which one right now, I will try and dig that up) is in the process of building one to connect their campus. It's a bit expensive, but it would be interesting. Would be even more interesting if they converted the Tomorrowland Transit to MAgLEv. Of course you wouldn't notice anything, but t would be neat to know it is there.

If recall correctly i believe the school is ODU (Old Dominion University). They are working on a joint venture with NASA. Both are located in the Norfolk area. Nasa has their Langley research center and ODU has a pretty good engineering school.

well I think I've heard monorails have 100 tires each, the tires wear out, thats a expensive bill. WDW has 12 monorails imagine getting a bill for 1200 tires! comparitively speaking 6 busses (6 busses has a carrying capacity greater then 1 monorail) has 36 tires on all 6 busses and I'm guessing a monorail tire is more expensive then the buss tires becuase they have to support the same weight and be much smaller. plus they proably take longer to change considering there are a few between the track and the floor of the monorail.

there are the A/C units to maintain. both of those are expensive plus you still get a huge electric bill every month for them.

cloudboy

You do have a couple of interesting points about the tires, although I am not sure that the tires used on the monorails are much more expensive, or wear out as quickly since they spread the weight out more evenly and not all are dedicated to supporting the vehicle. In any case Monorails.org is a good place to get some more info on monorails and debate the benefits and drawbacks.

I am getting really, really confused about all the trains in Florida. I know that there was a light rail issue, that they were debating where it would go. And then I thought there was a separate high-speed rail line that was supposed to go from Olando Airport on through to Tampa, and that is what Disney insisted would stop at there and only there. Somehow I wonder how they can even get away with that. Doesn't anybody protest?

mcm2elm1

While on a bus to bcv our driver said that the monarail was to run through them but somebody sold them the wrong prop. and would cost to much to move the monarail ,so they decided to give them busses insted.

Originally posted by cloudboy
Doesn't anybody protest?

actually a higher up from universal said at a meeting on this train something to the affect of I'm sorry are you building this with tax dollars or disney dollars?

The main tires dont seem to be smaller than a bus tire

Ok I'm wrong I can't believe they are that big, But I never figured they'd be in the rear of the car. thanks for the link

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom