suspicous package

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuLaSue

We can't even bring water onto planes anymore.
This is for your protection, your saftey, your well being. :brick: What don't you people get?! Safety or Convenience? Inconvenience me all you want.... I would rather be safe!!! Get a free water on the plane!!

wannab@dis

We can't even bring water onto planes anymore.
Yes you can... you can't take liquids through security checkpoints. Buy all the water you want in the concourse and take it on the plane. Or, as mentioned, just drink the FREE water on the plane. :brick:

If that's the best example...

MousDad

Okay, here's something I have never quite understood. Maybe I'm brain dead and completely missing it.

Question: If you think a backpack contains explosives or a bomb, why would you blow it up? My guess is that it blows up the ignition device. But doesn't that risk ignition of the explosives? I'm totally ignorant on this.

It kind of reminds me of those Bugs Bunny cartoons where they're in a dark room packed with explosives, and they light a match to get some light. :lol:

Eyorefan

Okay, here's something I have never quite understood. Maybe I'm brain dead and completely missing it.

Question: If you think a backpack contains explosives or a bomb, why would you blow it up? My guess is that it blows up the ignition device. But doesn't that risk ignition of the explosives? I'm totally ignorant on this.

It kind of reminds me of those Bugs Bunny cartoons where they're in a dark room packed with explosives, and they light a match to get some light. :lol:

Yeah I had this same question, especially after I read the post about the police that blew up the box of pennies and the pennies went "everywhere". I assume that if it was a bomb, they are able to blow it up in a way that doesn't damage anything. What if its not a bomb though. What if the backpack had some sort of deadly chemical inside? So now the police have blown up the non-bomb and sent chemicals into the air. How does blowing up a package help when you don't know what's in it?

Sorry, maybe I have just watched too many Die Hard movies.

Timmay

Yeah I had this same question, especially after I read the post about the police that blew up the box of pennies and the pennies went "everywhere". I assume that if it was a bomb, they are able to blow it up in a way that doesn't damage anything. What if its not a bomb though. What if the backpack had some sort of deadly chemical inside? So now the police have blown up the non-bomb and sent chemicals into the air. How does blowing up a package help when you don't know what's in it?

LOL...yeah, it isn't like the movies.

EOD usually detonate a suspicious package after it has been determined that doing so will be safer than trying to defuse in place or move. These packages are more often than not placed into a container that will handle the explosion. EOD have the ability to x-ray packages to help determine the best course of action. The decision to blow something up is not taken lightly, and won’t be done if it is felt more damage will come from the destruction of the package. It is a well thought out process…in most cases.

Yes, there have been times when some EOD folks have gone a bit overboard and blown up fruit, birthday presents and other stuff. But it is not to the extent some on this thread would have you believe. EOD doesn’t simply “blow something up” because it is suspicious…there is additional information that have lead them to that decision.

EOD has been destroying and dealing with packages long before 911. It wasn’t an issue then, and it isn’t now.

kimmychad

no actually i think thats a very valid point. if theres a chemical in the package your actually doing the work for the terrorists

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Most " controlled" explosions dont blow things up. they try to disrupt the charge without igniting the main charge.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
That's what I figured. I do like the highlighted word, though. :lol:

I was shocked to find that the only thing that is truly controlled in a controlled explosion is the time it goes BANG!

Ideally not when a sniffer dog is close, but thats a whole other story...........:lookaroun

Eyorefan

LOL...yeah, it isn't like the movies.

EOD usually detonate a suspicious package after it has been determined that doing so will be safer than trying to defuse in place or move. These packages are more often than not placed into a container that will handle the explosion. EOD have the ability to x-ray packages to help determine the best course of action. The decision to blow something up is not taken lightly, and won’t be done if it is felt more damage will come from the destruction of the package. It is a well thought out process…in most cases.

Yes, there have been times when some EOD folks have gone a bit overboard and blown up fruit, birthday presents and other stuff. But it is not to the extent some on this thread would have you believe. EOD doesn’t simply “blow something up” because it is suspicious…there is additional information that have lead them to that decision.

EOD has been destroying and dealing with packages long before 911. It wasn’t an issue then, and it isn’t now.

I can see that ideally the people blowing the thing up would have X-rayed it, determined it was, in fact a bomb, and hopefully what kind of bomb it was. But from the two examples given here, a box of pennis, and a CMs backpack filled with nothing more than his "stuff", that doesn't always happen.

So while I take heart in knowing that the chances of chemical warfare being started by a bomb squads "controled explostion" is probably lower than my chances of being blown up by a terrorist, can it really be ruled out?

Again, I have no idea. My expertise in this filed are the hours I have spend watching action movies and that spy novel I read once.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
This is for your protection, your saftey, your well being. :brick: What don't you people get?! Safety or Convenience? Inconvenience me all you want.... I would rather be safe!!! Get a free water on the plane!!
:rolleyes:

I'd rather not have the Department of Homeland Security exist and have an emphasis on real security, as opposed to the liquid, show and ID carnival.

The TSA has kept us safe from nothing. The fact that they keep adding these rules to justify their existence shows me how futile they area.

January 29 can't come soon enough.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
What freedoms have you lost? Please, tell us.
The 4th amendment is basically a joke now, your privacy doesn't exist, using the 1st amendment in order to be critical of the government can put you on a watchlist, the right to travel within your borders as protected by the privileges and immunities cluase is no longer such (at least in the eyes of some) and the right to air travel (YES, it is a right, Title 49 of the US Code, section 40103, paragraph A, subparagraph 2: A citizen of the United States has a public right of transit through the navigable airspace.) can be deemed as such because of a watchlist with mistakes...

Don't even get me started on the Patriot Act.

IWalt

All True

The 4th amendment is basically a joke now, your privacy doesn't exist, using the 1st amendment in order to be critical of the government can put you on a watchlist, the right to travel within your borders as protected by the privileges and immunities cluase is no longer such (at least in the eyes of some) and the right to air travel (YES, it is a right, Title 49 of the US Code, section 40103, paragraph A, subparagraph 2: A citizen of the United States has a public right of transit through the navigable airspace.) can be deemed as such because of a watchlist with mistakes...

Don't even get me started on the Patriot Act.

All True

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
The phrase "suspicious package" sums up how I will view a certain body part on future suitors of my daughter.

Main Street USA

And vague...
Well, then clarify it if you're so bright! People like you are amazing. You think you're being smart and saying he's wrong by posting that it's "vague?" The truth of the matter is that you have nothing remotely insightful to add. Hilarious.

Spyne

As some have said all ready, it's better to be safe than sorry. Especially in this post 9/11 world, officials won't be fooling around with anything. I'm just happy they are there to protect us. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom