Survivor: Ghost Island

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Ugh! Mike set my PVR last week for “record episode” rather than “record series”.
I am currently watching the West Coast feed, so yay, I’ll get to catch 20 mins or so.

I guess I’ll be doing On Demand this weekend. I don’t know who anybody is and how the tribal shakeup unfolded. Hopefully Dalton Ross can help.

artvandelay

Good episode tonight, and good gameplay by James. Domenick blindly thought the Malolo 4 would follow him. Kudos to him for recognizing that they can take control with this move. I would have rather seen Angela go, as I don't like Chris, but good move on James' part.

Domenick got lucky with the legacy advantage, too. He strikes me as someone who will play it sooner rather than later, so more likely at 13 than 6... although hard to say at this point because we don't know the circumstances.

I am still really liking Stephanie and Kellyn. I like Donathan, too, although he was invisible tonight. Brendan is another one I like, bu he's a little more boring.

An "I wonder" on Ghost Island... do they have to smash the urns in order? If producers tell them they have to, then they are obviously placed there strategically so not all the advantages are done at the same time. But wouldn't you put one right after a swap to try and shake things up even more? I'm not for it as a fan, but I think producers probably missed an opportunity. But maybe they don't even have to smash the urns in order.

I also want to take credit that I knew the idol Michael found was James' from China, even before it was unwrapped. I could tell by the shape, since no other idol has ever been a square plank like that. Call me a nerd... I embrace it.
I did read that they have to break the urns in order.

PUSH

Tribe swap did a good job of confusing ... viewers. Too early. I don't know who is who or which tribe anyone was originally on, so all of the machinations and plotting meant nothing to me. The premiere was good, but this ep ... less so.
The early tribe swap was such a success in Cambodia that they've done it a lot since then. There will likely be another one in a couple votes. It allows for a better chance of an interesting merge, rather than just a clean sweep of one tribe versus another. Another reason it's becoming confusing, though, is the edits never show what happens at the losing tribe's camp anymore. They used to show both tribes after the challenge, now it's usually just one. So we don't see who is with who on the other tribe, or what they truly are thinking.

I would have liked with this season to go three votes, then switch, with the odd person out being exiled to Ghost Island until the next tribal council, where the exiled player would be absorbed into the new tribe.

PUSH

A bunch of Survivors must be at Disney World. Stephen Fishbach posted a picture of him "flying" in front of the Flying Fish. He also had a picture with Cochran. And now he just posted a picture on BLSRS with JT. I'm so jealous I'm not there to run into them. I'd totally ask for a picture.

artvandelay

A bunch of Survivors must be at Disney World. Stephen Fishbach posted a picture of him "flying" in front of the Flying Fish. He also had a picture with Cochran. And now he just posted a picture on BLSRS with JT. I'm so jealous I'm not there to run into them. I'd totally ask for a picture.
He said on one of a Rob Cesternino’s podcasts that he was having his bachelor party at Walt Disneyworld

krause

Tribe swap did a good job of confusing ... viewers. Too early. I don't know who is who or which tribe anyone was originally on, so all of the machinations and plotting meant nothing to me. The premiere was good, but this ep ... less so.

Completely agree. I was just learning people and I just had no idea this episode who was with who and what tribe people had been on before. The only way I can kind of remember is that their original clothes are the color of their original tribe but I lost interest pretty quickly. I probably won’t even try to learn it either because they’ll just swap again in a few episodes 🙄

PUSH

Done. From best to worst. Totally factual. Nobody can tell me any different.

1. Heroes vs Villains (20)
2. Micronesia (16)
3. Cagayan (28)
4. Cambodia (31)
5. China (15)
6. The Amazon (6)
7. Blood vs Water (27)
8. Millennials vs Gen X (33)
9. Borneo (1)
10. Pearl Islands (7)
11. Koah Rong (32)
12. Caramoan (12)
13. Cook Islands (13)
14. Tocantins (18)
15. Heroes vs Healers vs Hustlers (35)
16. The Australian Outback (2)
17. Fiji (14)
18. Panama (12)
19. Philippines (25)
20. Palau (10)
21. San Juan del Sur (29)
22. Game Changers (34)
23. Africa (3)
24. Samoa (19)
25. All-Stars (8)
26. Vanuatu (9)
27. One World (24)
28. Worlds Apart (30)
29. Marquesas (4)
30. Guatemala (11)
31. South Pacific (23)
32. Nicaragua (21)
33. Thailand (5)
34. Redemption Island (22)
35. Gabon (17)

GenerationX

Interested to hear why you would put Africa above Marquesas. While Africa was, I believe, the first season to have a tribe swap, Marquesas had the first truly diabolical immunity challenge. A sub-alliance was completely outed by how they played the challenge. First season for Boston Rob and the purple rock, too. Vecepia wasn't a great winner, but she played well in that season. Agree that Thailand was total crap.

PUSH

Interested to hear why you would put Africa above Marquesas. While Africa was, I believe, the first season to have a tribe swap, Marquesas had the first truly diabolical immunity challenge. A sub-alliance was completely outed by how they played the challenge. First season for Boston Rob and the purple rock, too. Vecepia wasn't a great winner, but she played well in that season. Agree that Thailand was total crap.
I don't remember Marquesas all that well, but I remember the players kind of grinded on me. Aside from Rob and Kathy, I didn't really like anyone. Paschal and Neleh were super annoying, and I didn't care for Vecepia as a winner. Honestly, #20-29 on my list could all have their own orders. I knew Gabon was my least favorite. That cast was brutal to watch, aside from Corinne. I knew my top 4 right off the top of my head. Other than that, I don't have any strong feelings toward seasons. Really, from 11-29, IMO are all based primarily on personal preference of casts and players.

PUSH

I got bored, so I posted thoughts for each season.

1. Heroes vs Villains (20)
- Hands down the most entertaining season ever, from start to finish. The Villains tribe was the best and most entertaining tribe ever. If you weren't rooting for them, you were rooting for the wrong tribe.​
2. Micronesia (16)
- Arguably the best game ever played by Parvati, this was the first season I really felt there were truly and utterly shocking blindsides. Micronesia set up HvV for the next era of Survivor players.​
3. Cagayan (28)
- Cagayan set up the "big moves" era of Survivor with Tony leading the way. He invented the aggressive play style that could actually win. And whether you like big moves or not, it sure was entertaining the first time we saw it.​
4. Cambodia (31)
- Cambodia really perfected the "big moves" era, as every single player was out there to play. The fans voted in a phenomenal cast, and we saw some players shine through that we didn't see in their first seasons. It was great seeing new school players with old school players. Even if they didn't do a whole lot, players like Kelly Wiglesworth and Kimmi were fun to watch after all these years.​
5. China (15)
- This is often a forgotten season in terms of how good it was. Todd invented the "meat shield" strategy by aligning with James and Jean-Robert. They would always be bigger threats physically than he was strategically. He aligned with Courtney, so there was always a weaker person around. And then he aligned with Amanda, who he could talk strategy with. Great cast.​
6. The Amazon (6)
- This was a fun cast, highlighted by Rob Cesternino. He was the first player to really account for how others would react, and strategize based on that. He carved the way for future superfans like Fishbach, Cochran, and Spencer.​
7. Blood vs Water (27)
- This was the 2nd season I ever watched, and I didn't really appreciate it until I rewatched it. The loved ones made it so much more dynamic, and I didn't realize that until I had seen all the other seasons. A great mix of returnees (Tyson, Aras, Tina, Laura M.) and new players (Ciera, Hayden, Vytas). Laura Morett is also one of my "most underrated" players of all-time. She's great.​
8. Millennials vs Gen X (33)
- Great cast all around. Both tribes had good strategists, good characters, and unpredictable gameplay. David's transition was a great story.​
9. Borneo (1)
- The first season needs to be in the top 10 because it started it all. Going back to rewatch it now is pretty dull, but Richard Hatch was way ahead of his time. Without him, the game probably doesn't continue today. He was the only one in the first season to realize how to play the game. Everyone else was just going through the motions.​
10. Pearl Islands (7)
- Good cast. Sandra, Rupert, Fairplay. The Outcast twist was awful, but the pirate theme oddly worked. Rupert was great in this season, before it became more about strategy, which he lacks mightily in.​
11. Koah Rong (32)
- Aubry deserved the win, which is why this isn't higher. But great cast. Some moments that make you cringe, but Aubry is one of my all-time favorites, so it got bumped pretty high.​
12. Caramoan (12)
- Slow pre-merge, but the post-merge was pretty good. I know some cringe when they hear Cochran's name, but if you look at him solely in Caramoan, he played a very good game. This is the season Andrea stepped forward and became a player. Malcolm also added to the fun with his invention of the live Tribal (though he played it entirely wrong).​
13. Cook Islands (13)
- Lots of good players, several who returned: Penner, Parvati, Candice, Ozzy, Yul.​
14. Tocantins (18)
- Good cast, and we got one of the biggest characters in the game with Coach. Other notable players include JT, Fishbach, Tyson, and Taj. A medevac also added to this season's drama.​
15. Heroes vs Healers vs Hustlers (35)
- This would have been MUCH higher had it not been for the terrible finale, which magically gave Ben the win. The amount of good players and interesting characters was incredible, including the pre-merge boots: Ben, Lauren, Chrissy, Devon, Ryan, Joe, Ali, Cole, Patrick, Alan. Most of those players I thought at one point could win. Others were just entertaining characters.​
16. The Australian Outback (2)
- A major highlight here was the first medevac, which was totally encapsulating. Skupin going down like that made everyone realize Survivor is real. Tina was the first female winner, and proved that Survivor isn't just about Surviving. Otherwise Colby would have won. We had our first female villain in Jerri.​
17. Fiji (14)
- Earl was a great winner, and he had never seen the show before. Yau-man quickly became a favorite. The Dreamz move with the car went down as one of the most infamous moves in Survivor history at the time.​
18. Panama (12)
- More great characters. Terry, Aras, Cirie, Shane, Danielle. Cirie has since become a Survivor legend, who could have very easily been a 4 time winner, once in each of her seasons, had it not been for unforeseen twists or gimmicks.​
19. Philippines (25)
- Not as high on this season as some are. I found a lot of the cast to be annoying (Jeff Kent, Russell Swan, Lisa, Skupin). There were only a few that I really liked (Penner, Malcolm, Denise). Penner would have been one of the best ever winners, had he not made a very stupid mistake.​
20. Palau (10)
- The Tom and Ian moment was great TV, and masterfully played by Tom, who likely would have not been able to outlast a much younger opponent. Other than that, I remember a few names, such as Katie and Janu, but not much else. Stephenie LaGrossa was a great player, and one of the more underrated and forgotten ones as years have passed.​
21. San Juan del Sur (29)
- Natalie played exactly how she needed to in order to win, and she is one of the most underrated winners. The rest of the cast lacked in gameplay, but that's probably because Josh and Jeremy were the first two merge boots.​
22. Game Changers (34)
- Great cast, but too many of the best players were voted out early. Too many gimmicks that sent other great players home. Sarah deserved the win, but she was helped immensely by a dominant pre-merge tribe and idols/advantages.​
23. Africa (3)
- Don't remember lots about this other than the scenery. Ethan was a deserving winner for his era. I remember Silas was the first ever to be screwed by a tribe swap. He was doing a solid job, too.​
24. Samoa (19)
- The Russell story was a drag by the end of the season, but he was entertaining to watch. Dave Ball was a character, and Laura Morett was someone I liked, but I didn't like most of the cast. Jaison and Mick were drab, and Natalie has about one notable move (the social move to flip Kelly and the opposing tribe on Eric), but she's one of the least deserving winners. I get every winner deserves it, but she would be at the bottom if there were ones who didn't.​
25. All-Stars (8)
- Great concept to bring old players back, but the bitterness is what brings this season way down. Rob deserved the win, but players like Tom and Lex took a game way too personally.​
26. Vanuatu (9)
- A few good players and characters, such as Ami and Eliza, but I also remember Twila and Scout being very annoying.​
27. One World (24)
- I actually think this season is not bottom-barrel like a lot of fans do. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Kim dominate physically, socially, and strategically. The men's tribe was a mess, and I didn't like a single male on that season. Colton is appalling.​
28. Worlds Apart (30)
- Another cringe-worthy season with all the bullying. Mike needed to win based solely on challenges, which I never like. I really like Carolyn, but she doesn't get the credit she deserves. Joe is overrated. Aside from Carolyn, and maybe Jenn, there's nobody from that season I'd care to see again. Although, Jenn did pretty much quit.​
29. Marquesas (4)
- Don't remember tons of moves aside from the rock draw, but I found much of the cast to be annoying. I didn't like Vecepia as the winner. Kathy was a good player who deserved to win had she gotten to the end.​
30. Guatemala (11)
- Don't remember a lot about this one either. I remember rooting for Stephenie, who should have won over Danni in the final TC. I also remember liking Rafe. I remember hating Judd.​
31. South Pacific (23)
- I like Sophie for her takes since she's played, rather than how she actually played. Coach's "cult" was gag-worthy. Brandon was, too. Much of the cast was unlikable. Ozzy pulled off a bold move by asking to go to Redemption Island, but Ozzy's cockiness continued to grow from Micronesia.​
32. Nicaragua (21)
- Brenda was the sole positive of this season. I hated nearly ever other player. Including Jane, who was a fan favorite. The way she flipped out when she learned she'd be voted out had me rolling my eyes. Na'Onka and Purple Kelly... enough said.​
33. Thailand (5)
- I remember the most boring final challenge ever, I remember two people who had a sexual assault argument, and I remember an adult entertainment star winning. Need I say more?​
34. Redemption Island (22)
- It gave us Andrea, but she did virtually nothing in her first season, not unlike Parvati, who she is often compared to. Phillip was annoying. Rob played amazingly well, but I was not as mesmerized by his gameplay like I was with Kim in One World. In fact, I found his win to be too easy because everyone was in love with him. Jeff also seemed to skew questions to where Rob was more likely to not be a target.​
35. Gabon (17)
- The sole highlight to this season was Corinne. Watching anyone else was like nails on a chalkboard. Bob, Susie, Kenny, Crystal, Mattie, Randy (who I've grown fonder of since, but not when I watched Gabon)... they were all way too much.​

PUSH

Interesting episode. I thought for sure Kellyn was going when she was talking about how she had it made with her 5-person alliance. Michael tried to read expressions, but he read them wrong. I don't remember the last time a solid majority stayed together like that.

Sad for Brendan, as I think he could have been a very good player. But those archetypes have slim chances of winning anymore.

Players I still love: Kellyn, Donathan, Stephanie

I think Stephanie is getting a hero edit, and I would be more than happy if she took that all the way to the end.

Players I still dislike: Chris, Bradley

SAV

I was glad to see Malolo have to go to Tribal. Needed something to shake them up a bit. I saw the lines drawn and was hoping that someone would flip, just to add more drama to it.

I thought Michael sounded very convincing when he talked about the Double Idol. It seems they didn't fall for it, but it sounded good. I liked both challenges this week.

I don't like how they have to break the Ghost Island urn's in order. I understand why they do(need to have things set up ahead of time), but it seems too much like the production team can influence things too much this way.

artvandelay

I’ll have more comments after I listen to Brendan’s exit interview, but this has been a great start for the season. Some real game players out there.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Episode 2 failed to record. I have not yet seen episode 3 - although a FB friend spoiled who got booted. I have five or six episodes of Big Brother Canada to tackle - including the first episode. 🙄

I don’t think any of it is happening. I was a Survivor Day Oner, but I just haven’t been into the past few seasons. Heck, I haven’t even watched the past two finales. (The cop and Ben, right?)

Like Ross and Rachel, I think we’re on a break.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom