Survivor! David vs. Goliath

danheaton

I didn’t listen to First One Out for this season, but I did listen to it for the previous two seasons.

Rob’s podcasts are great. I am a patron. Truly enjoy Know it All’s and the exit interviews. The Big Brother content is excellent too. It was great to hear Eric Stein on this weeks Survivor podcast. It made me laugh when they’d bring in Big Brother references for Survivor.

I'm also a patron and used to be more active in the Facebook group. I just don't spend as much time on Facebook in general anymore, so I haven't been in there as much. I haven't listened to Eric this week, but he's been funny on past podcasts. Big Brother is my blind spot; I always say I'm going to start, and it's just so many episodes! I follow all the Survivor and Amazing Race content but take a break for Big Brother.

PUSH

I'm going to start with some earlier points before I get to my thoughts on the votes.

First, is Mason-Dixon the worst alliance name ever? Even Stealth R Us was better. I cringe whenever I hear them refer to themselves as Mason or Dixon. Although, they did do a nice job of putting the blame on Gabby. One thing I am observing is that Christian is building a seemingly strong relationship with Gabby, but Gabby is emotional. If/when she finds out about Christian throwing her under the bus, he better watch out. I can see him playing a sound strategic game, but people taking his gameplay personally. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of empathy there from him, and I think that's one big part to winning people over after you've voted them out.

Moving onto Bi. I'm wondering how serious this knee issue is. You RARELY get taken back to the winning tribe's beach after a challenge, and injuries aren't typically called out unless there's a bigger story going forward. Even before her injury, I though she was going home if the Davids lost again.

Now onto the Goliath tribe. This was an entertaining segment of the episode. Watching Jeremy and Natalie go back and forth with each other while Kara was awkwardly standing there was hilarious. It's like she was front row for a new play that just hit the stage. I do agree with Jeremy, but there's also truth to what Natalie said. Jeremy lacks self-awareness, big time. He was the first one to go crazy with strategy, and these days that's typically the reason you're voted off first from your tribe. Case in point: Ciera from Game Changers.

I was happy that Natalie stayed. Jeremy was starting to annoy me, and I'm actually enjoying Natalie's character. She is so matter of fact and doesn't care that she's being perceived as rude and bossy. She is owning that persona. Honestly, it's oddly working for her. She's really like an older Michaela, but much more enjoyable to watch. I'll be keeping my eye on her as the season progresses. I hope she goes far.

Also, did anybody else notice Sea Bass getting a subtle shout out early in the episode? That's probably his most exciting moment on Survivor, and he wasn't even on screen.

Next week come a swap. I wish we could go 4 episodes before a swap, but that's not the current era of Survivor. I'll be interested to see how that shakes out. We will be at 17 contestants, which means we can't have 2 or 3 equal groups. I know they've done two tribes, plus one exiled contestant, but I don't really like that. They possibly could also do something weird where they have different size tribes, which I wouldn't like, either. We shall see.

Another solid episode. The rain and weather continues to be a great addition. It's not the main focus, but it's not brushed off, either. It's a nice blend into the game that has very much been missed since they've switched to Fiji.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
My PVR did not record “next time on Survivor”, so if we’re doing a “drop your buff” next week, I missed it. 🙁

Natalie to me is just a rude Cirie Fields - lazy, bossy, and scheming, but totally lacking Cirie’s charm and personality. I will not be one bit sorry to see her go. (Still don’t like Angelina either.)

As usual, I prefer the men overall. Women, especially when they’re cold, wet, and hungry are really catty. I know that I would be the first person voted off after the first big downpour.

And on what planet is 57 a “senior citizen”?

GenerationX

Jeremy was voted out because he made the number one Survivor blunder: he talked about his backstory. Always the kiss of death!

The Mayor of Slamtown is fairly well-spoken and kind of funny, too. I don't typically warm up to contestants until later on in the season, but he seems like a good bet for a favorite. Rocket Nerd, too.

Glad to see another fan of The Amazing Race here, as the whole family absolutely loves that show. I'm so glad we're getting another season, probably sandwiched between Survivor seasons again.

danheaton

Jeremy was voted out because he made the number one Survivor blunder: he talked about his backstory. Always the kiss of death!

The Mayor of Slamtown is fairly well-spoken and kind of funny, too. I don't typically warm up to contestants until later on in the season, but he seems like a good bet for a favorite. Rocket Nerd, too.

Glad to see another fan of The Amazing Race here, as the whole family absolutely loves that show. I'm so glad we're getting another season, probably sandwiched between Survivor seasons again.

I'm also pumped about The Amazing Race coming back (maybe early next year?). Unsure if you want to get spoiled, but the cast is out there if you're curious. I don't read spoilers in general but am aware of the theme of next season.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I'm also pumped about The Amazing Race coming back (maybe early next year?). Unsure if you want to get spoiled, but the cast is out there if you're curious. I don't read spoilers in general but am aware of the theme of next season.
Tangela?

DinoInstitute

I like Josh and think First One Out (which he's done before the past three seasons with a lot of pre-game content and interviews with Probst, all the cast, and some crew) is excellent. It doesn't spoil anything and gives a lot of insight on how the show was put together. I will say that The Wiggle Room (with the Wand-off) isn't my favorite thing, but that really comes down to personal preference and limited time.

Full disclosure: I used to be a blogger for Rob and have done some Amazing Race podcasts, so I'm definitely biased.
I thought I recognized your name! Nice to see you here!

Wendy Pleakley

This season is good so far, due to some big personalities that have been given sufficient screen time to come across.

The theme might be one of the more pointless ones in the history of the show. Jeff frequently trying to equate situations to it ("this is why you're Davids!") comes across as contrived.

On a side note, I encourage people to check out Australian Survivor Season 5 which just ended. The Champions vs. Contenders theme is pretty interesting and is given sufficient time to play out.

artvandelay

Apparently, Jeremy is claiming in exit interviews that he was voted out because of an off-screen conflict with Angelina that wasn't shown. I need to listen to the podcast, but here's a summary: https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2018/10/jeremy-angelina-theory-survivor-david-vs-goliath/
I heard that on Rob’s exit interview and read it in Josh’s interview. I think it’s a little bit of both. Jeremy was playing too soon, but he did make a reasonable case for why Angelina wanted him gone.

artvandelay

Next Amazing Race does have a good cast that should be fun to watch.

PUSH

I agree. One particular Survivor combo is going to be amazing TV, if that last really long. And I don't mean a particular tie-dyed candidate for Indiana governor.
I'm not an Amazing Race viewer, but I might tune in because of that combo. I love both of them. Assuming we are talking about the same combo. Would love to see them on Survivor again. Two of the best confessionalists (if that's a word) ever.

GenerationX

I consider results a spoiler, but I don't consider cast a spoiler. So, I looked up the racers. The theme is better than I had originally heard, but I'm not sure about the cast (theme and cast spoilers below):

I thought it was going to be Big Brother only, which I've never seen. I was happy to find out it will include Survivor and Amazing Race alumni, as I have watched literally every episode of both shows. I'm bad with names, though, so I'm not sure who everyone is. I know I don't see any of my favorites from either show, but I unfortunately see Rupert in there (just go away, please). I didn't particularly like the BB team last year on the Race (he was fine, but she grated), and the previous BB team had one of the biggest whiners in the Race's history (sobbing, "The Amazing Race is supposed to be fun and good!"). Just an awful person. Hopefully, the BB teams this year are more tolerable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom