Survivor 44 Discussion Thread

PUSH

Original Poster
Welcome all!

I know Survivor 43 just wrapped up, but we already have a little bit of info on Survivor 44. The premiere is March 1st. This thread is for discussion about all things Survivor for the new season. As always, please me mindful of what you post. Anything that has aired is fair game, so you may want to avoid the thread until after you have seen the episode. However, please refrain from posting any spoilers you may have come across on the internet... even if they're not confirmed spoilers.

If you are posting any info about the season before it's officially been released by CBS/Survivor, it's best to put it in a spoiler. For example, some info if out about some advantages, so I'll post them in a spoiler in the next post.

Anyway... here's the preview from the Survivor 43 finale. Rumor has is that Jeff and production are super high on this season, so hopefully that means it'll be a great one. I'm already counting down the days until Survivor returns to our screens!

PUSH

Original Poster
Martin Holmes has dropped some news on an advantage from the upcoming season...

As seen in the preview, there's a bag in a cage. That will be an idol. Each tribe's idol will be in a cage in the middle of camp, totally visible to the players at all times. It will be locked, with a note on how to find the key to open it. Whoever opens it will find a bag with two idols inside. A real one and a fake one. They must take the real one and leave the fake one, making it seem as if the idol hasn't been tampered with. There isn't news on what happens if the fake one is found.

And some news that isn't new, but has been previously confirmed. The season will remain 26 days with a three tribe format. The winner will be revealed in Fiji, with an after show following the reading of the votes.

Jedijax719

I miss the days where the location and culture were major "players". I wish they could go to places like India, Madagascar, the cloud forests of Peru, New Guinea, Egypt, or Jordan (they were actually going to do a season in the middle east). I was going to also mention the Congo but that is WAY too dangerous and not because of the animals or conditions.

PUSH

Original Poster
I miss the days where the location and culture were major "players". I wish they could go to places like India, Madagascar, the cloud forests of Peru, New Guinea, Egypt, or Jordan (they were actually going to do a season in the middle east). I was going to also mention the Congo but that is WAY too dangerous and not because of the animals or conditions.
I wish they'd do different locations, too. It'd make it so you didn't have to force themes like HHH, EoE, or IoI. But obviously they'll never go back because of budget reasons. They can kind of set up camp in Fiji, shoot two seasons in succession, and not have to worry about logistics of shipping everything to a new place or getting permission and finding land.

It's the same reason they'll likely never go back to a 39 day season or have a live reunion again. They can save millions of dollars.

PUSH

Original Poster
COVID hurt Survivor. As much as I still love the show, if we did not have that covid break, I still believe that Survivor would be 39 days with a live reunion.
This is very true. Not just of Survivor, but businesses everywhere. They learned they can cut things out, or alter things, yet still have the same viewership/profits.

PUSH

Original Poster
I just say my first commercial for Survivor 44 during the AFC Championship game. It's about a month away. We should start getting preseason press in the next couple weeks.

Wendy Pleakley

For anyone interested, Australian Survivor just promised a historic episode in their promos and they...were not lying.

An episode of Survivor that the community will be talking about for a long long time.

It's also a good season IMO. It's a series that tends to have controversial twists and non-eliminations, but so far this season the players have the information, there are less surprises for the sake of surprises, and the twists are resulting in interesting strategy and player dynamics.

Jedijax719

I saw what you were talking about ( of course I don't know anything about the Aussie players). Meh-we've seen what I would consider bigger moves in the US. Cirie getting Courtney out in season 12 was legendary. And then getting Ozzy out in season 16 was too. When Jon was booted in David vs Goliath, that was pretty spectacular. A bunch of Tony moves were outstanding (which is why he's the best that ever played imo). Rob voting out Matt at the merge in RI was genius. Maryann's strategy in getting out Omar with just she and Romeo voting, but using her extra vote, was also genius (especially when she had an idol nobody know about ready). And let's not forget how Jesse played his idol for Owen, thus forcing Karla's hand and ensuring Cody's boot. That may have topped them all.

Wendy Pleakley

I don't recall those early examples to be honest, but the Maryanne move is overrated. The show ignored the idol nullifier that was a big factor, and if the extra vote wasn't played it would have been the same outcome. It was a good move, but it was edited to be a big TV moment and what we saw was only part of the story.

Survivor AU showed us every actual element of a big move, and let us see every aspect of it unfold. It was a layered move summed up by "you've put me in a lose lose position" where two players had every bit of their social capitol decimated and one player achieve multiple things. The only thing stopping it from being perfect was that the attempt to flush an idol didn't work.

Jedijax719

I don't recall those early examples to be honest, but the Maryanne move is overrated. The show ignored the idol nullifier that was a big factor, and if the extra vote wasn't played it would have been the same outcome. It was a good move, but it was edited to be a big TV moment and what we saw was only part of the story.

Survivor AU showed us every actual element of a big move, and let us see every aspect of it unfold. It was a layered move summed up by "you've put me in a lose lose position" where two players had every bit of their social capitol decimated and one player achieve multiple things. The only thing stopping it from being perfect was that the attempt to flush an idol didn't work.
But was this all done pre-merge? If so, the person who orchestrated it has a LONG way to go in the game and a LOT of room to be voted out. The person (Simon?) is now outed can run to the other side as soon as they merge. Sure, it's a good move and probably one that had to be done, but it's too soon to declare it as a end-gamer.

Personally, I think that Jesse's move was MILES ahead of this one. He forced the Cody boot but also forcing Karla to play her idol based on the circumstances. And he did so without ever landing an idol himself and convincing Cody to let him keep it. (all the while keeping another idol hidden for th final 5).

Wendy Pleakley

But was this all done pre-merge? If so, the person who orchestrated it has a LONG way to go in the game and a LOT of room to be voted out. The person (Simon?) is now outed can run to the other side as soon as they merge. Sure, it's a good move and probably one that had to be done, but it's too soon to declare it as a end-gamer.

Personally, I think that Jesse's move was MILES ahead of this one. He forced the Cody boot but also forcing Karla to play her idol based on the circumstances. And he did so without ever landing an idol himself and convincing Cody to let him keep it. (all the while keeping another idol hidden for th final 5).

Not an end game move necessarily, but just a well executed move to succeed at this point in the game. It may or may not mean much at the end, as pre-merge moves tend to be seen as less important, but I can appreciate great gameplay at any point.

Having said that, it established a relationship that was key in another balance of power move shortly thereafter. It wasn't a one and done move.

I don't know if it's worthwhile to rank the two moves against each other. They were both great. It's comparing apples to apples. There's also so many pros and cons to the different movies. Jesse put a big move on his resume, but also raised his threat level, putting himself in a position where his only chance at winning was immunity or fire, and he didn't have a good track record in that department.

JPPT1974

Two weeks from now. Think that in the cutting the days in the game from 39 days to 28 days, really it is much more fast paced and have to really think on your feet.

PUSH

Original Poster
With the Survivor 44 premiere less than a week away, it's getting to be that time that I make my winner pick. I don't have a strong feeling one way or another about most of them. I feel like the past few seasons have had some standouts, but everyone seems pretty even this time around.

PUSH

Original Poster
It's Survivor 44 premiere night! We're about an hour away. So I need to make my winner picks. I typically choose one man and one woman. I will do the same this year, but a bit different. My male pick was shown falling in the previews, so I'm going to make a backup male pick in case he's medically evacuated. I don't think he will, but just in case.

Here are my previous winner picks.

31 - Vytas
32 - No winner pick
33 - M: Adam, F: Figgy
34 - M: Malcolm, F: Andrea
35 - Winner: Ashley, Runner-Up: Desi
36 - M: Brendan, F: Kellyn
37 - M: Dan, F: Alison
38 - Returnee: Kelley, Newbie: Victoria
39 - M: Tommy, F: Molly
40 - M: Jeremy, F: Parvati
41 - M: Ricard, F: Sara
42 - M: Hai, F: Chanelle
43 - M: Jesse, F: Elie

Here are my picks for 44.

Man: Matthew (backup: Yam Yam)
Woman: Helen

Based on preseason interviews, I feel like Matthew has the social skills, but isn't a larger than life figure. He won't be too big of a target.

Yam Yam was my backup because I really didn't feel that great about most of the men. I like Caraon, but I fear he is too young. Yam Yam may have some strategic chops, but I am worried about his larger than life personality.

I chose Helen because I feel like she will fly under the radar if she can make it past the first couple votes. She will be social and strategic and make moves down the stretch to win.

I also like Claire and Frannie for the women.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom