Survey Directly After Riding? Common?

Coaster Lover

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
So, I get to Universal every few years (non-Florida resident, typically flip flop Disney/Universal trips every few years), so my experience at Universal isn't the same as many of you. Regardless, on my recent trip, something happened that I've never had happen at Universal before (or Disney for that matter). We were riding Skull Island: Reign of Kong and more or less IMMEDIATELY after we got off the attraction (on the walkway between the ride exit and the main midway), there were probably 8-12 cast members with tablets surveying guests on the attraction. I've had plenty of times where I took surveys for rides via email after a visit, but taking a survey while right in the ride exit was very different and unexpected. The survey was quite probing asking lots of fine details on the attraction (how exciting was it? what did you think of the projections? did the projections align with ride movements? would you consider the ride "innovative"?)

My first thought was "OMG, Universal is probing guests to get enough feedback to justify closing/replacing Kong!", but then, maybe it's much more common for Universal to do surveys like this... just trying to get some thoughts from the regulars...

Disstevefan1

So, I get to Universal every few years (non-Florida resident, typically flip flop Disney/Universal trips every few years), so my experience at Universal isn't the same as many of you. Regardless, on my recent trip, something happened that I've never had happen at Universal before (or Disney for that matter). We were riding Skull Island: Reign of Kong and more or less IMMEDIATELY after we got off the attraction (on the walkway between the ride exit and the main midway), there were probably 8-12 cast members with tablets surveying guests on the attraction. I've had plenty of times where I took surveys for rides via email after a visit, but taking a survey while right in the ride exit was very different and unexpected. The survey was quite probing asking lots of fine details on the attraction (how exciting was it? what did you think of the projections? did the projections align with ride movements? would you consider the ride "innovative"?)

My first thought was "OMG, Universal is probing guests to get enough feedback to justify closing/replacing Kong!", but then, maybe it's much more common for Universal to do surveys like this... just trying to get some thoughts from the regulars...
Yes I too have more than once participated in Universal surveys.

Universal is smart and is trying to listen to their guests. I remember getting something for taking the survey at Universal.

Disney used to take surveys at the park a long time ago..

Last edited:

Coaster Lover

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Yes I too have more than once participated in Universal surveys.

It is is smart and is trying to listen to their guests. I remember getting something for taking the survey at Universal.

Disney used to take surveys at the park a long time ago..

Just to be clear, the abnormality here (for me) is not just the fact of taking a survey, it's not taking a survey at the park in general (I too have taken surveys at Disney in a location on Main Street... and I've taken surveys at Uni when heading to my car), it's taking a survey immediately after getting off an attraction... the location where the survey occurred is smart because it ensures it gets your most accurate response to the attraction (the "raw" emotion you have immediately after getting off the attraction). I was wondering how common THAT was (taking a survey immediately after getting off an attraction at Uni).

Disstevefan1

Just to be clear, the abnormality here (for me) is not just the fact of taking a survey, it's not taking a survey at the park in general (I too have taken surveys at Disney in a location on Main Street... and I've taken surveys at Uni when heading to my car), it's taking a survey immediately after getting off an attraction... the location where the survey occurred is smart because it ensures it gets your most accurate response to the attraction (the "raw" emotion you have immediately after getting off the attraction). I was wondering how common THAT was (taking a survey immediately after getting off an attraction at Uni).
I think this is a really good thing. Todays Kong attraction is NOT a great attraction and its a good thing they are taking surveys and trying to listen to their guests.

If I was taking this survey I would say todays Kong is nothing comparted to GREAT original Kong attraction they had when they first opened the park.

JoeCamel

Sounds like a project to find out if 3D is missed and that walkway would be a dream location to get first impressions.

So did you miss the 3D?

Sorcerer Mickey

I think this is a really good thing. Todays Kong attraction is NOT a great attraction and its a good thing they are taking surveys and trying to listen to their guests.

If I was taking this survey I would say todays Kong is nothing comparted to GREAT original Kong attraction they had when they first opened the park.
Fixing the 3D or bringing back the outdoor section will not elevate this Kong to the original's status. They'd have to rebuild from the ground up.

Coaster Lover

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Sounds like a project to find out if 3D is missed and that walkway would be a dream location to get first impressions.

So did you miss the 3D?

Honestly? This was my first time riding it, so I have nothing to compare to. I'm personally not a big fan of 3D on any ride and Universal’s 3D glasses just don't work for me (too small of lenses and I feel like they fall off way too easily). I honestly didn't mind the main segment without 3D. I did think the parallax as you approached the first two screens was really bad.

JoeCamel

Honestly? This was my first time riding it, so I have nothing to compare to. I'm personally not a big fan of 3D on any ride and Universal’s 3D glasses just don't work for me (too small of lenses and I feel like they fall off way too easily). I honestly didn't mind the main segment without 3D. I did think the parallax as you approached the first two screens was really bad.
It was night and day and they changed to save a buck (consensus) so maybe they are gauging if the cost is worth it. Amazing ride with little staying power, opening day I spent 45 minutes stuck with the witch and she cursed the whole experience.

Smugpugmug

This happened to my friend and I after riding Jimmy Fallon back in 2022. We were both asked to complete surveys about how we felt about the ride immediately after getting off. It was my friend's first time riding and she thought it was pretty bad, so being asked to rate the ride afterwards was kind of ironic.

WDWFREAK53

This happened to my friend and I after riding Jimmy Fallon back in 2022. We were both asked to complete surveys about how we felt about the ride immediately after getting off. It was my friend's first time riding and she thought it was pretty bad, so being asked to rate the ride afterwards was kind of ironic.
IMO the lineup at USF is bad in general.
Diagon as a land is fantastic.
Gringotts isn't great.

IMO, the best attractions at USF are Mummy, ET, and MIB. Notice that those are the attractions with physical sets and not a lot of screens?

Transformers isn't close to Spider-man even though the ride systems are similar.

But back to the subject...
I like Kong...I don't love Kong. The animatronic is stunning but it almost doesn't fit because it's the only time during the entire attraction where you see him "live" and not animated.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
FWIW I remember getting a survey for Snow White’s Scary Adventures, and its closure was announced not too long after, but my guess is this is related to the lack of 3D Glasses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom