Surprising my niece with her very first trip!!

Minnie1986

Hello friends!

I'll be taking my first trip back "home" since 2017, and I'll be surprising my niece by taking her on her first trip! We'll likely be staying at All Star Movies and am thinking about a six day trip. Obviously, a lot has changed since I was last at WDW, so any tips, tricks, or any ways to make it EXTRA special for her first trip and her birthday (which will happen while we're there), I'd really appreciate it.

Hope everyone's doing well!

Mireille

Premium Member
Hello friends!

I'll be taking my first trip back "home" since 2017, and I'll be surprising my niece by taking her on her first trip! We'll likely be staying at All Star Movies and am thinking about a six day trip. Obviously, a lot has changed since I was last at WDW, so any tips, tricks, or any ways to make it EXTRA special for her first trip and her birthday (which will happen while we're there), I'd really appreciate it.

Hope everyone's doing well!
How fun! I hope she has a blast. (and you too!) I took my mom last year for her first trip down there since 1987 (I think...). It was so fun to share one of my favorite places with her and she was happy to be with someone with more familiarity with the parks so she didn't feel overwhelmed. I also am heading there this weekend and when I first scheduled, I booked for All Star Movies but ended up changing to Pop Century because the upcharge was negligible plus it has the Skyliner station. If you aren't afraid of heights, I would really suggest access to the Skyliner is worth it (assuming the difference is as little as when I booked.) Getting to Epcot and Hollywood Studios is a breeze!

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
How fun! I hope she has a blast. (and you too!) I took my mom last year for her first trip down there since 1987 (I think...). It was so fun to share one of my favorite places with her and she was happy to be with someone with more familiarity with the parks so she didn't feel overwhelmed. I also am heading there this weekend and when I first scheduled, I booked for All Star Movies but ended up changing to Pop Century because the upcharge was negligible plus it has the Skyliner station. If you aren't afraid of heights, I would really suggest access to the Skyliner is worth it (assuming the difference is as little as when I booked.) Getting to Epcot and Hollywood Studios is a breeze!
This is a really good idea; Skyliner wasn't an option during my last visit. And it will certainly beat taking the bus on certain occasions.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

How old is your niece? Does she have any ideas of things she wants to do? Finding out her interests and what type of things would WOW her can help plan your park days. I'd get good guide book and let her read up on the parks, watch some video clips of rides and entertainment choices. Let her choose things that are fun for her age and interests. I'd book Hoop De Doo as a fun evening show. You not being back since 2017, it will be a new Disney for you as well so get up to speed on Genie and LL's, new attractions, new dining spots and other changes. Decide if water parks, mini golf, DS, and other things will fit into your six days or not.
You can surprise her with a birthday backpack that you fill ahead of time and bring with you. Fill it with gift cards, Dis stuffed animals, pins, character ears, etc. Pick up a b'day pin at guest services and have her wear it. Let your server know at meals that a b'day is happening and you may get a special treat served for you.
Taking a newbie is fun and sharing old and new things will add to your magical time with her. Just do enough research ahead of time so you go in with a good plan of attack.

Upvote 0

Eric Graham

We took my niece to Akershus and she really loved it. She loved having a meal with the princesses at Epcot. We also took my nephew and niece to Crystal Palace to have a meal with Winnie the Pooh and Friends at the Magic Kingdom. They loved seeing Pooh and friends. To be honest, I also loved seeing Winnie the Pooh and Tigger and dancing with them!

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
How old is your niece? Does she have any ideas of things she wants to do? Finding out her interests and what type of things would WOW her can help plan your park days. I'd get good guide book and let her read up on the parks, watch some video clips of rides and entertainment choices. Let her choose things that are fun for her age and interests. I'd book Hoop De Doo as a fun evening show. You not being back since 2017, it will be a new Disney for you as well so get up to speed on Genie and LL's, new attractions, new dining spots and other changes. Decide if water parks, mini golf, DS, and other things will fit into your six days or not.
You can surprise her with a birthday backpack that you fill ahead of time and bring with you. Fill it with gift cards, Dis stuffed animals, pins, character ears, etc. Pick up a b'day pin at guest services and have her wear it. Let your server know at meals that a b'day is happening and you may get a special treat served for you.
Taking a newbie is fun and sharing old and new things will add to your magical time with her. Just do enough research ahead of time so you go in with a good plan of attack.
She will be turning 12 during the trip. The trip itself will be a surprise, so I won't be able to ask her, however, her mom is helping in terms of things she'll definitely want to do and would not want to do.
We took my niece to Akershus and she really loved it. She loved having a meal with the princesses at Epcot. We also took my nephew and niece to Crystal Palace to have a meal with Winnie the Pooh and Friends at the Magic Kingdom. They loved seeing Pooh and friends. To be honest, I also loved seeing Winnie the Pooh and Tigger and dancing with them!
That sounds so amazing! I honestly don't know who is going to enjoy her first time more, me or her.

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
She will be turning 12 during the trip. The trip itself will be a surprise, so I won't be able to ask her, however, her mom is helping in terms of things she'll definitely want to do and would not want to do.

Upvote 0

Eric Graham

That sounds so amazing! I honestly don't know who is going to enjoy her first time more, me or her.
It was such an awesome experience for my wife and I when my niece didn't think any of the characters in the park were real. She then met Merida (From Brave) and the look on her face was so wonderful. She was so enamored by her. Take lots of pictures, you'll cherish them forever!

Upvote 0

kimberlymautz

How fun! My daughter is 12 and while she's been several times, each age is so fun for different reasons.
We haven't gone yet (December 2023!) so if you're going after us I can give you some better advice, but as of right now here's what I've got:
I would plan some cute Disney outfits, but work with her mom on the style! My daughter is pretty anti matching and cutesy clothing, while my niece (also 12) would LOVE the cutesy stuff. For my daughter we found some pretty basic Disney tees and a cute pair of black ears with rhinestones. Super simple, but she'll look cute and will be comfortable in it. If you know her general style I can send you some ideas if you'd like. I've been doing way too much shopping for our trip. Lol.

I'd maybe plan a character meal for her birthday - my 12 year old still loves 'Ohana breakfast with Lilo and Stitch and Chef Mickey's, but if you think your niece would still be into princesses then definitely go that route!

I'd get your niece an autograph book or something she can use for autographs. We always bring a photo mat, but I've seen people use their water bottles, books, etc.

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
How fun! My daughter is 12 and while she's been several times, each age is so fun for different reasons.
We haven't gone yet (December 2023!) so if you're going after us I can give you some better advice, but as of right now here's what I've got:
I would plan some cute Disney outfits, but work with her mom on the style! My daughter is pretty anti matching and cutesy clothing, while my niece (also 12) would LOVE the cutesy stuff. For my daughter we found some pretty basic Disney tees and a cute pair of black ears with rhinestones. Super simple, but she'll look cute and will be comfortable in it. If you know her general style I can send you some ideas if you'd like. I've been doing way too much shopping for our trip. Lol.

I'd maybe plan a character meal for her birthday - my 12 year old still loves 'Ohana breakfast with Lilo and Stitch and Chef Mickey's, but if you think your niece would still be into princesses then definitely go that route!

I'd get your niece an autograph book or something she can use for autographs. We always bring a photo mat, but I've seen people use their water bottles, books, etc.
We're going about six months after you (June '24), so any post trip advice would be SO great! She, thankfully, is still into the theme stuff (and so is her aunt 😆).I always buy myself some cute Disney tops from Etsy prior to a trip to any Disney park, so I definitely want to get some for her; she loves the characters, and her favorite is Moana (they look shockingly similar). I'd say her style is a lot like mine (my last trip to Disneyland, I wore a shirt that said "Samantha?" on the front, and had a pic of Olaf on the back), and she LOVED it.

OMG, a photo mat is genius! I don't think she'd be into the book anymore, but something she can put in her room, or even a water bottle (she is VERY much a Starbucks girlie) is something she would love. Thanks!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom