Surprise trip gone wrong?

Pixieish

JIMINYCR

Ive seen others similar to this one. They always make me mad... ungrateful little brats.... My guess is the poor kids werent raised in a proper Disney home, otherwise they would be jumping for joy. I would have done anything as a kid to have heard my parents say those words... Were going to Disney!!

Driver

Ive seen others similar to this one. They always make me mad... ungrateful little brats.... My guess is the poor kids werent raised in a proper Disney home, otherwise they would be jumping for joy. I would have done anything as a kid to have heard my parents say those words... Were going to Disney!!
LOL my guess is if the kids have no clue at all what Disney is then I understand their reaction. After the trip I would expect a different reaction in the future. We grew up with Disney on tv ( Sunday nights 60's ish) all the things we regard as classics now. So we knew Disney! Maybe there are just so many other distractions nowadays Disney is just another face in the crowd.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

LOL my guess is if the kids have no clue at all what Disney is then I understand their reaction. After the trip I would expect a different reaction in the future. We grew up with Disney on tv ( Sunday nights 60's ish) all the things we regard as classics now. So we new Disney! Maybe there are just so many other distractions nowadays Disney is just another face in the crowd.
Well the kid did identify Mickey on the shirt... so they know who he is. The article said they eventually went to WDW, so we can hope they have a better appreciation for WDW.

mousehockey37

These make me furious as well. If they were our children this would be the LAST vacation we ever took them on. Me and my wife can enjoy WDW just fine without ingrates coming along. Luckily our children appreciate what WDW is understand that WDW is truly a special place and always appreciate the times we go there.

I'm sitting here laughing hysterically at both videos. Parents lie and tell their kids they're going somewhere else. Kids get psyched for the other place and start to look forward to it and then the "surprise" hits. Well, what do you expect kids to do? We tell kids that lying is bad, then parents get upset when they get called out on it? Serves them right.

In the video from where the family is in NC, I love the mom's tone when she got all disgusted that the kids didn't want to even go. Made that video that much better.

If you're going to surprise them, surprise them. Don't say where you're going. Just end up there. And oh yeah, know your kids well enough that you'll be seeing a happy response from them, not what was recorded in these 2 videos.

I'm sure this happens a lot more than we know, it's just that those moments aren't recorded, or don't make it to the web.

NelleBelle

I'll say this, when we surprised my 2 sons with a Disney cruise (we didn't tell them until we were heading to the airport), they were ecstatic! Then the BIG surprise came when we took Disney transportation from the cruise port to the airport--kids thinking we were flying back home and just about died of confusion when we walked across the street to pick up the rental car. When we drove through the big Disney World sign, we had so many "thank you's", I was just as excited that we pulled of the surprise! My oldest DS told me that was the best vacation ever. No need to lie, we just didn't tell them we were flying out that day :p

Minnie Mum

All of the posters who are calling the Canadian kids ungrateful brats should be ashamed of yourselves. Quote from the younger child "We were freaking out because we didn’t know what Disney World was and we wanted to see our cousins in Winnipeg,” Ethan, the youngest son said on Wednesday as he reflected on the video which was shot when the boys were eight and 10 years old.

I saw the followup news article the next day. The parents had hyped the Winnipeg trip to the kids, who were close with their cousins and were really looking forward to seeing them. Instead, their parents announce out of the blue that they won't get to see their cousins at all, and instead are going somewhere they know nothing about. Some of you seem unable to conceive of the fact that not every family revolves around all things Disney. That there are actually people who live happy lives who have absolutely no interest in spending their time and money in a Disney theme park. They'd actually prefer to spend their time with loved ones doing other things.

JIMINYCR

All of the posters who are calling the Canadian kids ungrateful brats should be ashamed of yourselves.

Chill out. You saw the follow up article.... we didnt. This is a DISNEY forum with 99.999% viewers who love Disney. The majority of us wish we could have more Disney time than we get. Some of us never had the opportunity to visit Disney as children. Of course we cant conceive a kid not wanting to go to Disney when we would have done anything to get the chance. Of course we know there are families who have no interest in Disney but they arent on this forum are they?

Minnie Mum

Chill out. You saw the follow up article.... we didnt. This is a DISNEY forum with 99.999% viewers who love Disney. The majority of us wish we could have more Disney time than we get. Some of us never had the opportunity to visit Disney as children. Of course we cant conceive a kid not wanting to go to Disney when we would have done anything to get the chance. Of course we know there are families who have no interest in Disney but they arent on this forum are they?

Then I honestly feel sorry for you. That you are so narrow minded that you think that because this is a fan site, it is OK to name call a child who doesn't hold the same priorities as you. And BTW, the underlined parts in my previous post were from the posted link. No further explanation should have been necessary. My opinion of the name callers remains unchanged.

Me 'Earties

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate
I don't think the kids in the OP's article are ingrates at all. It said in the main article (no need to go to the follow up article) and the video itself, that they didn't know what WDW was. It's even in larger font on the linked article:

IMG_0327.PNG

I guess people just can't imagine that kids may like to visit family over a WDW trip. The nerve of those kids :rolleyes:

Driver

Kids that little have no clue what Disney is, even if you explain it to them because they have no basis for reference.
I can understand that, but as I said earlier we live in a different time now with more distractions. When I was a kid ( back in the 60's) we knew what Disney was and yearned to go. However my parents couldn't afford it so my first time I was in my 20's and I paid my own way. Think about it WDW was in the dream stages back then and all that existed was DL. But we knew what it was.

Driver

I'm sitting here laughing hysterically at both videos. Parents lie and tell their kids they're going somewhere else. Kids get psyched for the other place and start to look forward to it and then the "surprise" hits. Well, what do you expect kids to do? We tell kids that lying is bad, then parents get upset when they get called out on it? Serves them right.

In the video from where the family is in NC, I love the mom's tone when she got all disgusted that the kids didn't want to even go. Made that video that much better.

If you're going to surprise them, surprise them. Don't say where you're going. Just end up there. And oh yeah, know your kids well enough that you'll be seeing a happy response from them, not what was recorded in these 2 videos.

I'm sure this happens a lot more than we know, it's just that those moments aren't recorded, or don't make it to the web.
You make a good point about the lying, maybe they would have been better off just not saying anything. *child* " mom where are we going? " *mom* "it's a surprise!"

Weather_Lady

Do the these kids not know what Disney is? This is my first conclusion maybe they don't understand what is being offered to them. ( or am I missing something?)

You're absolutely right - these kids have no idea, and their reaction is absolutely normal under the circumstances.

We "groomed" our kids long before breaking the news to them about our first Disney trip, to avoid this kind of outcome. We even "happened to stumble" on the [previously-DVR'd by us] Disney Parks specials on TV so the kids would "happen to see" what kinds of attractions were offered, so that by the time they found out they were going, they knew it was something to rejoice about! One can't expect anyone to be excited about anything that's an unknown quantity. Before our kids saw the specials, they thought Disney World was a just a big park (like, with swing sets and picnic tables) where you could meet characters.

mousehockey37

You're absolutely right - these kids have no idea, and their reaction is absolutely normal under the circumstances.

We "groomed" our kids long before breaking the news to them about our first Disney trip, to avoid this kind of outcome. We even "happened to stumble" on the [previously-DVR'd by us] Disney Parks specials on TV so the kids would "happen to see" what kinds of attractions were offered, so that by the time they found out they were going, they knew it was something to rejoice about! One can't expect anyone to be excited about anything that's an unknown quantity. Before our kids saw the specials, they thought Disney World was a just a big park (like, with swing sets and picnic tables) where you could meet characters.

I think we'd all have to agree as well, that the video with the kids where they're in NC, the eldest boy is at that age where, among his peers, Disney isn't a "boy" place to go with all the princesses and stuff. Sure, there's Star Wars and other offerings for boys, but in the video he honestly looks like he'd take a root canal over going to Disney, lol. He just seems to be a typical teenage boy.

Pixieish

I can understand that, but as I said earlier we live in a different time now with more distractions. When I was a kid ( back in the 60's) we knew what Disney was and yearned to go. However my parents couldn't afford it so my first time I was in my 20's and I paid my own way. Think about it WDW was in the dream stages back then and all that existed was DL. But we knew what it was.

That's not what I'm talking about. A child the age of three has never experienced anything even close to being in the same realm as Disney World, so even trying to explain it to them wouldn't work because they have no previous knowledge of anything similar. I mean, I suppose you could use a carnival, or fair, or local theme park (if they've ever been to one of those), but they still don't even come close. So in the mind of a small child, "Disney World" is just some abstract idea that they can't really grasp until they see it. Those two boys from the article knew their cousins, knew they had a lot of fun visiting them before, so to go from "visiting cousins" to "going to some place you may have heard of but really don't understand" is naturally a huge letdown for them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom